Stackable tool boxes for range?

Incahoots

FNG
Anyone use the stackable tool boxes on wheels like Milwaukee Packout or Ridgid for the range? I like to take multiple firearms and gear when I go and looking for an easier way to tote my gear. If you do, what do you use and any pros and cons between the different brands. I know Dewalt and Craftsman also have ones also.

*zap*

WKR
Rigid is what I have because I have 4 sets and the Milwaukee was a lot more $. Milwaukee is more stout but my Rigids have been used a lot for 2 years with no real issues. I keep my tools in them in the work van/shop and use them on job sites. If I only needed one set I would get Milwaukee. I have 6 of the Milwaukee stackable organizers for fastener organization and have been very happy with them. Overall, I prefer Milwaukee tools to Rigid tools also.
The way the Rigid boxes fasten to one another can be a pia but I keep a hammer handy to deal with that.

Last edited:
I have a set of desalts I use for tools. They work fine. One peeve is the wheeled bags doesn’t fit under my bed cover unless I put it on its side. I find I use that one less and just put the tools on a foldable dolly.

For the range and outdoor gear, I use totes. The standard variety Rubbermaid kind is fine but I prefer these guys:

They are usually in a covered truck bed so locking isn’t an issue. I put them on a dolly or in this for hauling a bunch to the range.

nrh6.7

WKR
I had the same idea. Got the Milwaukee packout for Christmas and working out how best to utilize them.

Post up photos if you set something up.

rayporter

WKR
rubbermaid tubs and foldit cart it what i have been using for 15 years. the cloth one mentioned above might be the next one i try as they seem to be getting more popular, the problem is they dont hold as much as the foldit.

1580234981624.png

i have given these much thought, too.

1580234938458.png

tdot

WKR
I had tool boxes that were grey. All the same colour, pain to know which one was which. So I moved everything to some clear rubbermaid totes that we use to store seasonal gear in. I thought it was gonna be great cuz I could see what was in them. Bad idea, they've all broken and cracked in the last 6 months. They couldn't handle the constant movement and banging around.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Rigid is what I have because I have 4 sets and the Milwaukee was a lot more $. Milwaukee is more stout but my Rigids have been used a lot for 2 years with no real issues. I keep my tools in them in the work van/shop and use them on job sites. If I only needed one set I would get Milwaukee. I have 6 of the Milwaukee stackable organizers for fastener organization and have been very happy with them. Overall, I prefer Milwaukee tools to Rigid tools also.
The way the Rigid boxes fasten to one another can be a pia but I keep a hammer handy to deal with that.

yep I have the Rigid...seems they were the first. Wish I had seen the Milwaukee. Works great hauling spotter, tripod, ammo, ect. I have a small box set up for muzzleloader and another for flintlock, ect. Main Wheeled box holds everything that goes every time and small one for each weapon on top of that.

tdot

WKR
Festool Systainers out of Germany predated all of the Dewalt/Ridgid, etc. boxes. Expensive, but awesome. I have dozens left over from tools, and they are now distributed in North America.

Another awesome one is Sortimo, who makes Bosch's boxes. Equivalent to the Festool, but slightly larger dimensions which I find more useful.

Both systems are much lighter then the Ridgid/dewalt styles. Also generall smaller dimensions which can be a plus or minus. But they are very complete systems for anyone who is OCD.

RCL

WKR
I have had the Rigid for several years. Purchased on sale at Home Depot and they have been great.
Started out using them for tools, but found they were excellent for a lot of things.
If I were to buy again, it would be Milwaukee.