Stages of antler growth

In the month of May , what stage is their antler development in ? What should they be looking like ? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elkangle

WKR
Look at the body right now, an old deer is an older deer

End of May youl see general frame size, but varies from deer to deer...one of my bucks on camera a couple days ago doesn't have much head gear yet

OP
Buckshot51
Look at the body right now, an old deer is an older deer

End of May youl see general frame size, but varies from deer to deer...one of my bucks on camera a couple days ago doesn't have much head gear yet

Yeah I was up scouting this weekend and I saw a huge body deer in my spotter . It was pretty far away and couldn’t really make out any beams or rack structure . First I thought it was a pregnant doe , but the way it was walking around like it owned the place , yet still cautious , I’m 95% sure it was a buck . A big buck . Eff yeah ! That’s exciting . Thanks fellas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Elkangle

WKR
Realistically most people are hunting for age on balcktails...so you can do well scouting early to get a general Idea...

If you was shooting for a specific amount of antler growth on say muledeer then looking at the body doesn't really tell ya as much...a 225 mule deer is still old compared to a 250 mule deer...and finishing out in different climates is all different along with the type of weather an area is getting..its hard to be that specific with blacktails because if he's 120-140 it really don't matter...he's a ghost and you might have only seen him a few times if at all

Just some lamen thoughts from a wana be big buck hunter 😂

Azone

WKR
I watched a bachelor group on the 9th of this month that had two little guys that will more than likely be 12 inch forky types and one very nice large buck. The larger buck definitely has the potential to clip 20 wide from what he was already showing and 16ish inches tall would be my guess. The small ones looked tiny in comparison as far as body size goes. This being somewhere on the central coast.

In southern A zone they are already starting to split and add points from what I’ve seen so far. Body size is also easily distinguished this time of year also.

Azone

WKR
In southern A zone they are already starting to split and add points from what I’ve seen so far. Body size is also easily distinguished this time of year also.
Too bad what I watched is on place I can only shoot pigs and coyotes on. Some ranch brat will end up lucky with him if he stays in the general area of where I spotted him....😞

CHAD PEZZLE

Lil-Rokslider
I'm pretty confident this is the same buck. The first pic was end of April and the second pic was last week, so about 3-3.5 weeks apart. This is coastal A-zone outside of Petaluma.IMG_9056.jpegIMG_9205.jpeg