Stainless vs Nitride

mvmnts

WKR
Can anyone weigh in on barrel finish? I'm looking to buy a knight ultra-lite and I can find all kinds of stuff in stock for the stainless models, but it looks like if I want a nitride with the options, I gotta go directly through Knight and spend a few extra hundred dollars.

Is the nitride finish just for environmental corrosion like with any other gun, or does it help with corosion from the powder/primer as well? I don't know much about ML and am still learning. Thanks!

For me the Nitride finish is a big step from SS. It offers far greater resistance to any type of corrosion. It seems to me to be much easier to clean and maintain also.

Email Justin at Knight rifles and suggest that you are looking for an online retailer with one. He might be able to help you track one down.

At some point Midway should get a new shipment of Knights. Ask Justin if/when that might happen

Stainless WILL rust. SBN on stainless, all but eliminates that risk. Many say it adds round count, increases velocity, fouls less and cures cancer! I have a few rifles with that treatment. I think I paid something like $150 each.

Shrek

WKR
Nitride creates a very hard surface. It will be more scratch resistant , slicker and foul less. If you shoot a lot the barrel will last longer but in the heat/velocity range of a muzzle loader you would need to shoot an astronomical amount to burn out a barrel. It also creates a pleasant dark gray finish.

Billinsd

WKR
You can special order at Sportsman's Warehouse. That's what I did. I special ordered from the closest Sportsman's, which was 150 miles away. Knight will ship the rifle to them, then Sportsman's will ship rifle to me. Least expensive way to buy the rifle now. Justin at Knight knows the buyer for Sportmans. So, if you have trouble call, I believe it was John at Sportsman's, ask for buyer. He should remember, if not contact Justin at Knight. They saved me about $100. Bill

OP
mvmnts

mvmnts

WKR
Thanks gents! I called today and left a message, hoping to hear back soon. I'm excited for this tag!