Stair-mill and elliptical???

mtbshark

WKR
So I can't really run due to right knee issue, so I tend at least in the winter months to use a mixture of the stair-mill and elliptical trainer.
I guess I would consider myself a time trail type, due to the fact that I seem to use one time and see how far i can get!

what kinds of workouts do you all do on these?

I am in need of ideas to freshen up the routine a bit.

G Posik

WKR
I wish I could help you on this. I still am able to run and really do not like stationary equipment. I would say you could try to do some intervals on these machines. That would change things up a little. If you are doing a long grind, try it with a weighted pack. Hope this helps out.

Glenn

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I pretty much only do the eliptical trainer for my works outs....put it on the hardest setting and go....seems to get me in decent enough shape so far and easy on my joints which is good cause I abuse them enough packing animals out of the woods. :D

blb078

WKR
I use to use the elliptical but now only use a treadmill and stair master. The stair master will kick your butt, and it's easier on the joints than a treadmill. The elliptical wont get you as good of a workout but it's a lot better than nothing. If you can go at a somewhat high pace to get your endurance up then a a elliptical should be fine, with the stair master mixed in when you can.

jmez

WKR
I don't run either. I use the stairmaster and mountain bike quite a bit.

On the stairmaster that I use it has several different programs, fat burner, fat burner plus, steady pace, speed training, hills, etc. I just pick one of the programs, key in your body weight 10 pounds lighter than you actually are, this will make you work much harder as there is less pedal resistance. Put it on the highest level and then go for whatever time. I try to stick with programs that vary quite a bit rather than a steady pace. For example, on the programs I'm using the steps/minute varies between 115-180. I don't like it to get much below 115. Try to use it as a walk, jog, sprint workout. That is what I do.

When the weather clears up think about biking. Excellent way to get in shape for the mountains and no impact.

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
I'd suggest getting a pack on your back setting the treadmill on a hill course maxed out or elliptical set on the hardest setting. Then every chance you get find the steepest hill you can even if it is not very big walk up it backwards and down it forwards trudging up mountains isn't near as hard if you've been working out as going down them if you haven't trained those muscles which is hard to simulate with gym equipment. Even a sheet of plywood set at a steep incline will help. As far as boredom I just picture the mountains and think about chasing elk:) My.02