Stakes... Best All-Around For Kifaru Shelter

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
Have a Kifaru Sawtooth. Currently have MSR aluminum stakes. Slightly concerned about the durability of the heads breaking off in “tough” ground(rocky, slightly frozen”)

What are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been using mini cyclones, I would go to the full size cyclones if I was going somewhere with known rough ground. The minis have done great and I like the weight and size, but I’ve bent a few on rocks. The bent ones are all still functional though, they curve rather than buckling like the V style.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
the MSR Groung hog stakes do ok for 80% of my sets with the Kifaru Tut.
However last season in eastern WA, we had the snow melt, from 8"snow to 3"snow. Where we pitched camp there was no snow left. But the ground (dirt & pine needles) was wet and soaked through. The ground hogs stakes would pull out on the Tut corners when the wind blew. Luckily I had these "snow stakes" from Amazon. Used these previously in sand, beach camping too. Set one at each corner of the Tut and set the 12" stakes all the way to ground level and additional at points of the tent facing the strong winds. Held tight on that windy early December night.

Attachments

• snow stakes.Tut.jpg
    snow stakes.Tut.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 17