Stakes!

Lawnboi

WKR
What are all you using as far as stakes for your shelters. Specifically floorless.

Right now i have a mix of MSR groundhogs, TNF v stakes, and durapegs, and 1 UL vargo nail.

Im looking at picking up some more vargo titanium stakes to save weight, just can figure out which ones to get,

Has anyone used the ascent titanium stake? I have 1 nail peg i got a while ago to see how it was.

Im thinking if i mix a few groundhogs or durapegs for the cardinal stakes, then use vargo titanium for the rest i will save some real weight considering My shelter is able to take up to 14 stakes if i want all the loops filled.

Thanks for the imput.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I use groundhogs for all my floorless shelters. Yes there are lighter ones, but I like my shelters anchored down well so I bring 18 of them and yes at .75 a stake thats 3/4 of a pound of stakes, but its rock solid in the wind so its worth the weight when that wind starts kicking up. Plus I like the little string loops that come on them so I can actually secure the stakes to the tipi so if they did pull out I don't gotta go find them in the ground but rather just locate the loose guyout and re-stake. I tried lighter stakes but grew frustrated in their ability to hold in the ground. I do save weight by carrying some of the standard GoLite stakes that come with the tipis and they are a bit lighter, but they still don't hold like a MSR ground hog will.

BMB

Lil-Rokslider
I use groundhogs for all my floorless shelters. Yes there are lighter ones, but I like my shelters anchored down well so I bring 18 of them and yes at .75 a stake thats 3/4 of a pound of stakes, but its rock solid in the wind so its worth the weight when that wind starts kicking up. Plus I like the little string loops that come on them so I can actually secure the stakes to the tipi so if they did pull out I don't gotta go find them in the ground but rather just locate the loose guyout and re-stake. I tried lighter stakes but grew frustrated in their ability to hold in the ground. I do save weight by carrying some of the standard GoLite stakes that come with the tipis and they are a bit lighter, but they still don't hold like a MSR ground hog will.

would those be the stakes you'd recommend for hunting on TUNDRA??

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I camp above treeline on the tundra pretty much exclusively and have no regrets with them. For gravel bars, sand, and snow, you'd want longer ones but tundra generally is great staking ground so the groundhogs work great.

BMB

Lil-Rokslider
I camp above treeline on the tundra pretty much exclusively and have no regrets with them. For gravel bars, sand, and snow, you'd want longer ones but tundra generally is great staking ground so the groundhogs work great.

sweet....planning a trip up there for 2013. Drop hunt for carbou with a couple of guys.

Has anyone tried the Titanium Vargo Ascent stakes? What about maybe 3-4 of the longer MSR Blizzard or Cyclone Stakes at high stress points, and the rest with the Titanium Vargo Ascent stakes?.....or do you think the longer ones would not be needed?

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Im also interested in info from the vargo ascents. I would think the ascents mixed with some groundhogs or durapegs, and a few vargo shepards hooks for the guy outs would be perfect for the paratipi

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Im on the edge of ordering either some hilleberg stakes, or some of the new shorter groundhogs. Add to that a few ti nails for the guyouts. Looking to shave weight in any way i can.

Kenai

Lil-Rokslider
I'm with Luke. I love the groundhogs. They hold very well and are easy to set. I usually run with half hogs and half ti shepards hooks. My ti hooks are made by mountainfitter and hold very well.

cmeier117

WKR
I posted this somewhere else but my dad and I just ordered some from Hilliberg's website in the "special offers" section. I told him to get 12 viper pegs and 4 pro pegs. Which included extras, well he thought for some reason he would double that! So I have a bunch and with shipping I think it cost 12 bucks or something. The Viper pegs are 6 inch V style peg, and the Pro pegs are 7.5 inches with a solid tip and they are round, like the easton stakes. For .40$ and .75$ I don't think you can go wrong.

B

bearguide

i like to leave the stakes home on most trips / i use rocks and sticks