Stalker Stickbows????

Shammy

FNG
Question for you guys. I wanted to know from the guys who has or who has had Stalker Stickbow recurve and what you thought of them. Im leaning on making an order with Stalker/South Cox as his work just sticks out to me and want a custom bow. I like the option that they are takedowns and that someday I can have him shave some poundage off the limbs or order new limbs as I get older and can't pull as much. I'm looking at the Wolverine FXT and I don't have the funds to sell an re-buy if I don't like it. My wife won't let this happen. :) So I'm just looking for what people have heard, opinions, who has had one and what do you think?????? I have two longbows and I'm obsessed with this stuff now and am most likely moving 100% traditional. I'm a die hard whitetail and out west mule deer hunter and want a badass recurve to add as my main bow and it has to last a long time. Thanks!!!

Last edited:
I think they are gorgeous bows. He stands behind them. I have an Apex ILF.

Do you know what grip you like? Length of riser? Those would likely be the things you would want to change, I don't think you're going to find anything wrong with the quality of Stalker, just if they work for you or not.

I am not a recurve fan but I do own a few. I am a longbow fella because I prefer the low wrist. I have a Jackal FXT from south and the craftmanship, fit, and finish are top notch. Stalkers are well balanced and super tough bows they hold up well to the elements and I have put mine through the ringer out west and it takes a beating. The finish has held up extremely well. Stalker bows shoot lights out for me and Its in my top three of "GO-TO" bows. you cant go wrong with one of Souths bows. The actual hardest part is choosing what woods you want and then comes the wait for the postman.

Order one you wont be disappointed

Beendare

WKR
A couple of my Hawaiian buddies have stalkers by South. He builds a beautiful quality bow I doubt you would be disappointed. I haven’t been able to shoot them because I’m a lefty and the guys I know that on them are all right handed.

I’m an ILF guy .... for the ease of changing to The thousands of different limbs easily. i’ve been trying to find one of South‘s left-handed ILF risers for over a year, I think I’m going to have to pull the trigger and just have him make me one.
Great Bowyer.

I got a used Coyote FXT for a good deal and shot it for a while just to try it out. It wasn’t the exact specs I wanted but fast and of top quality. Sold it, tried some others and came back to Stalker. Ended up ordering a custom Vortex from him this last year and it was a excellent experience. Called shop, talked to South, we got a text thread going of different wood combinations, and then I was able to get up to his shop. Got to pick out specific pieces of wood, try different grips, and nail down a bow I’m absolutely happy with. Customer service is still great after purchase. Anytime I contact him and have questions even about hunting stuff he responds. Solid guy, great shooting bow, and everything you’d expect of getting a custom build. Even just recently got into another shop just for fun and shot about 20 different bows, my Vortex still comes out on top for me, although I did walk away with a td Big Stick longbow...just had to have it.

You might not know but he has a test drive program. You just pay shipping both ways $45 and he’ll send you the closest thing he has to the bow/specs you want. Check the catalog link from his website as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Shammy

Shammy

FNG
Billy Goat. I'm thinking of a 60 or 62 inch bow as I spot and stalk a lot and hunt from the ground a lot even with whitetails. I was going to pick South's brain on different riser lengths 16.5 with longer limbs vs. 18.5 and shorter limbs and why. What are the gains or compromises from choosing between the two? Any feedback on this or opinions would be much appreciated if you have any.

I called South today and asked about grips and it sounds as though you can go as flat as you want, you just need to let him know. So weird to read all of his articles, watch his you tube videos and interviews and you just pick up the phone and call his cell and he answers on the first ring. Definitely makes me want to do business with him.

Love the feedback from the others as well. Thanks guys and if anyone has more feedback, would love to hear it! Thanks!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Short riser with longer limbs will draw smoother as you'll have a longer working limb and less likely to stack on you. I had always looked at the Wolverine because I could get it in a 64" version, then I found a Coyote local that the guy had ordered with XL limbs to make a 64" bow. I shoot this bow better than any recurve I've ever owned, and right on par with a Schaefer that I was lights out with but was too much poundage that a friend owned. If you have a favorite grip, South will recreate it on your bow you get from him. I've got some walnut here that I'll be sending to him to have another riser or two made. It's from a walnut tree that crushed my dad's truck in a tornado. Gonna take those lemons and make lemonade. My dad asks all the time if I've gotten it sent to him yet lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
I would find somebody local that will let you shoot theirs, I didn't like the grip. As far as getting the limbs reduced in weight, I've had bowyer's say more than a few percent of poundage reduction and the limbs can get unstable, you would be better off in my opinion to just trade limbs with somebody or get one of his ilf risers and then you can change limbs to your hearts desire! Like any other bowyer, people love, hate and everything in between his bows, but they all say one thing equally, fit and finish is amazing!

OP
Shammy

Shammy

FNG
60" or 62" I'm about a 29 draw and hunt Mule deer , Turkey and Whitetails. I was thinking 62" but then again I haven't done this before and have no idea what I'm doing.

Steadman

WKR
Give South a call. He is a great guy and will steer you into what you are looking for. I've shot Stalkers since South bought the company. They are a great bow and he has a ton of models to choose from. His craftsmanship is top shelf. You won't be disappointed and you can't go wrong. Good luck!!

pcf

FNG
I have a 60" Wolverine and really enjoy shooting it. I have a few other recurves, bkut the Stalker is my go to bow. Beautiful workmanship, fast, and stable.

I have a Coyote FXT and like it. As I recall with the Wolverine you would need to send the riser/handle back to him to fit new limbs. With the Coyote you don't need to do that

Afhunter1

WKR
I got a 58” 55#@26 coyote. Used it all last season but didn’t get any blood on it other than a grouse. It is the bow I shoot the best so far. I’d order another from him.

I treestand / saddle hunt a lot and think anything over 58” is a pia. I’m only 5’7” though. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Billy Goat. I'm thinking of a 60 or 62 inch bow as I spot and stalk a lot and hunt from the ground a lot even with whitetails. I was going to pick South's brain on different riser lengths 16.5 with longer limbs vs. 18.5 and shorter limbs and why. What are the gains or compromises from choosing between the two? Any feedback on this or opinions would be much appreciated if you have any.

I called South today and asked about grips and it sounds as though you can go as flat as you want, you just need to let him know. So weird to read all of his articles, watch his you tube videos and interviews and you just pick up the phone and call his cell and he answers on the first ring. Definitely makes me want to do business with him.

Love the feedback from the others as well. Thanks guys and if anyone has more feedback, would love to hear it! Thanks!

Like has been said, a shorter riser with longer limbs isn't as likely to stack. With a 29" draw it probably won't be a big deal one way or another, but if you were 30" you would definitely tell. I shoot about 28.5 and on the shorter bows I can really feel them start to stack. Many people also prefer a shorter riser for hunting, less of a window to look thru, I personally haven't noticed a lot of difference, but I generally shoot a 17 or 19, maybe a longer riser and I'd notice it more.

For what you are looking to do I'd be looking 60 I believe, just to have it a little more compact, not that 2" matters much. If you think you might be getting into target shooting with it, like trad 3d's I'd maybe go ahead and go with a 62.

I'd be curious if he could build something similar to the Toby grip. I shot one yesterday and really liked it, might not be a grip your interested in tho.

That’s a fine bow there you chose. As she gets a little age on her she will darken up some. Congrats and good luck. Get some blood on her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk