Stalking Antelope with bow during Rifle Season

Like the title says, I have some intentions of attempting to stalk antelope this coming season with a bow, it will be during rifle season though.

Any tips? I'm assuming the animals will be more weary. Are antelope likely to feed in the same spots each day to make it possible to set up an ambush of sorts?

RyanCmns

WKR
I stalked during bow season last year it's tough! I couldn't imagine trying during rifle season! I tried setting up where they were feeding through just gotta get lucky I'd say a good tactic is find their escape route and set on that

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Carlin59

WKR
Wear plenty of orange if you do try this. In a lot of states the rifle season hits the antelope rut more so than the archery season, so you might be able to sneak in during rutting activity/chasing.

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
I used my bow during rifle season last year for spot and stalk and was successful after 3 days. ( I was hunting private land). First three days closest I got was 70 yards. I was hunting early october and they were rutting pretty hard. finally on day 4 I was able to get close to one that was initially bedded and then was looking away when he got up. I had a lone tree between him and I which helped me close the last 100 yards. One of the most fun hunts I have ever done.

Wear orange, look at terrain, try to intercept them, have knee pads.

OP
M
I figured it would be a tough. I hope to draw a buck and doe tag. If antelope numbers aren't low, I may spend the first day or three with the bow and bring out the rifle at the last minute.

307archer

FNG
Goats get pretty damn spooky during rifle where I'm at. It would be fun to try though! Good luck

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sodbuster

WKR
[QUOTE]molliesmaster
I figured it would be a tough. I hope to draw a buck and doe tag. If antelope numbers aren't low, I may spend the first day or three with the bow and bring out the rifle at the last minute.[/QUOTE]

That is our plan for this fall. Couple days with bows with the decoys, then pull out the rifles.

Cinch

Lil-Rokslider
Antelope are like sheep... they never stop moving for very long... use the terrain best you can... won't be easy but the challenge will be great as will the reward...

wytx

WKR
[QUOTE]molliesmaster
I figured it would be a tough. I hope to draw a buck and doe tag. If antelope numbers aren't low, I may spend the first day or three with the bow and bring out the rifle at the last minute.

That is our plan for this fall. Couple days with bows with the decoys, then pull out the rifles.[/QUOTE]

I hope the decoys will be used during archery season cause you sure shouldn't use one during rifle, at least not hide behind one.

Rich M

WKR
I had thought about doing the same thing - just make sure the unit you are hunting does not have different archery and rifle tags - I saw that while doing some research.

Sodbuster

WKR
I had thought about doing the same thing - just make sure the unit you are hunting does not have different archery and rifle tags - I saw that while doing some research.

Research your area for sure.Where I was at last year, the rut was prolonged with chasing still going on toward the end of Oct .The bow/rifle plan in Sept. would have been perfect.

Jimss

WKR
Timing is obviously critical for a decoy to work. You haven't mentioned where you plan on hunting? Many rifle units in Wyo start when the rut hasn't even started. I was in Wyo later in the rifle season this past year and bucks were rutting hard. It would have been great with a decoy....but I was on private land with no other hunters.

You didn't mention if you'll be hunting private vs public land. If you are hunting public land in a unit with little public land available the antelope ought to be pretty spooky once the rifle season opens. There may also be a lot of guys running up and down roads. In areas similar to this the antelope often start running as soon as they see a vehicle and often get pushed off the main roads.

Depending upon a bunch of factors a waterhole may work?

A lot can change from 1 unit to the next and from different dates through the hunting season.

OP
M
I appreciate all the comments. I was leaving it rather vague (location, public/private) because I was just hoping to hear of people's tactics they have used in the past with or without success.

Orange will be worn on front and back and I will not be carrying any decoys during rifle season.

I do like the idea of hunting archery a few days before the rifle season comes in. Just gotta see if I can talk my rifle only hunting partner into the idea.