Stan shootoff trio

vcb

WKR
All I gotta say is wow. I just got the stan shootoff trio today and that is the cleanest trigger I have ever felt. There is zero trigger travel. Those guys know what they are doing. I'm having a hard time finding a anchor though...With my index finger release I anchored my knuckle under my ear but with the thumb trigger I roll it flat so my thumb is at the bottom and my pinky finger is at the top...this then makes the back of my hand flat and that's why I am having trouble finding a anchor. Any suggestions? I have other anchors i.e. string on tip of my nose, peep alignment etc...I also thought about going back to a kisser button as well. It seems very easy to shoot dynamically....The Stan method is also interesting...once you hook your thumb around the trigger actually relax your index finger and it pivots the release into your thumb hence actuating the shot...I know its going to take a lot of shooting to shoot this release without thinking about anything but AIMING...but I was really impressed with the craftsmanship.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I shoot the stan shootoff for both hinting and target, different sizes but same delease. For a anchor try locking your knuckles behind your jaw bone. You may have to lengthen your draw depending on how you shot your index finger release.

OP
vcb

vcb

WKR
Thanks Doug I will try that. Just gotta spend some time with it and find a spot I can consistently anchor at. Happy new year!!

J-Daddy

WKR
No need to rotate your hand that much...Anchor with the bottom edge of your jaw bone resting between your index knuckle & middle finger knuckle.
Also, if your anchoring with your release hand knuckles BEHIND your jaw bone "below your ear" it would seem to me that your shooting a draw length that's long unless you have an extremely long d-loop. Everytime I've heard someone say they anchored back behind and then saw a picture of them or saw them shoot in person their draw length was longer than it should be. Any chance you could post some pics at full draw???

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Let me try and explain it better, as I agree with J-Daddy about not being behind your neck. I use my jaw line along the side of my face and place the jaw line between the gap created by my index finger and middle finger. So sort of like the index finger running parallel under the jaw line and the middle finger running parallel above the jaw line. I also tie in a contact button my nose touches on the string and lastly my peep incircling my sight housing. So generally three repeatable positions for consistency.

T11-1_zpsec68d38d.jpg

T17-1_zps0d8ecf80.jpg

I shoot mine as straight back tension. I have played around with the Stan Method, which is exaclty what George Ryals IV uses and has his own name for it. I think using those methods you could have a tendency to creep occasionally during the shot, which would lead to inconsistent shots. I prefer to pull through hard with back tension until the shot breaks, which seems much more repeatable. I think the Stan Method would be repeatable with lots of practice, as you still have to pull through the shot as you are relaxing your index finger. That version seems harder as I am having to do two things.

OP
vcb

vcb

WKR
Cool. Thanks for the pictures rosinbag and jdaddy! I had a good shooting session today. I am just using back tension to fire it rather than the Stan method. Bt is nice because I just have to think about aiming only. It's a new release and I still am getting used to it but they are pure releases unconsciously fired!!