Stand as frame-pack

htr2133

FNG
Hi All,

Anyone using a stand like lwcg or xop and use the seat as a "shelf" to haul out game bags? I have an xop air raid that I have modified to achieve the shelf like the new lwcg stands. I'd like to strap boned out meat bags directly to the stand for the pack-out. Anyone experienced in doing this? Any recommendations on what works well for strapping or pics?

Thanks!

Rich M

WKR
I strapped a button buck to a LW climber once and carried it a couple hundred yards.

Put a bag of concrete on the stand and see if it bothers your shoulders or back or whatever. A tree stand isnt balanced like a pack, so try it and see.

grfox92

WKR
This would be incredibly uncomfortable. I've packed in some tree stands with alot of gear strapped to them for some long distances and after a couple hundred yards it's painful. The only thing you might be able to try is stretching a Military Surplus Alice or MOLLE pack Frame and waist belt to the stand to try and keep the metal base off your back.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

SirChooCH

Lil-Rokslider
Look up "Bowhunter Chronicles XOP" on youtube, I did the same thing they did of using motorcycle tie downs to use the seat of an XOP as a shelf. And then on top of that shelf put my climbing sticks and daypack. It works out okay but not as comfortable for a longer hike as using a kifaru stryker.

You are better off to get an actual pack to carry your stand and anything else.

Good lumbar supports are needed. A stand might have a frame to it but you won't be able to transfer the weight correctly. If you are just looking at carrying it short distances it would be doable, but if you are doing it often or very far you will really appreciate having a pack frame that fits you. You can carry a meat load in close to the frame, then the stand on the outside. The more space between your back and the meat the more miserable it will be to balance and carry.

OP
H

htr2133

FNG
This would be incredibly uncomfortable. I've packed in some tree stands with alot of gear strapped to them for some long distances and after a couple hundred yards it's painful. The only thing you might be able to try is stretching a Military Surplus Alice or MOLLE pack Frame and waist belt to the stand to try and keep the metal base off your back.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Sorry, I should have specified, I already have the MOLLE waist belt and shoulder straps w load lifters on my platform. I have it adjusted well and have been carrying my Wild Edge Step bag and fanny pack strapped to the back of the stand. I can't really tell anything is on my back most of the time. I do think I could easily carry 40-50 lbs of meat but I'm struggling to find a good way to strap it all to the stand/seat shelf. Trying to find some sort of load sling or utility panel that I could attach to the stand after I am successful, but I haven't found anything affordable that I know for sure I can attach securely to the stand yet.

OP
H

htr2133

FNG
Look up "Bowhunter Chronicles XOP" on youtube, I did the same thing they did of using motorcycle tie downs to use the seat of an XOP as a shelf. And then on top of that shelf put my climbing sticks and daypack. It works out okay but not as comfortable for a longer hike as using a kifaru stryker.
Yes! That is the video I saw a few weeks ago and immediately ordered the straps! That is the mod I was referring to that helps create a solid shelf. Now I'm just trying to figure out how to securely strap down a few bomb bags.

Jakeb

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve done it a few times. I have an original lone wolf assault. All i do is tie the seat up with with paracord set the meat on it and then make a few wraps around the meat to hold it on. It actually works better then you would think.

Yea it’s not as comfortable as my kifaru, but its a 1 trip in and out and gets the job done. I have no desire to bring my backpack with me whitetail hunting up to a mile or 2.

I’ve even done it once without a waist belt, just shoulder straps. It was a small southern deer, but it sure beat dragging or making a trip back to my truck get my backpack.

Jakeb

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t over think it, just use paracord. 20’ is plenty enough, weighs nothing and pack’s down small enough to fit in a pocket.

Rich M

WKR
Old fella i hunt with uses a full pack and straps his stand to that. Hes a lil dude but tough for pushing 80. We carry about same load in and out.

Molle straps should help quite a bit. Im using two rifle slings.

OP
H

htr2133

FNG
I’ve done it a few times. I have an original lone wolf assault. All i do is tie the seat up with with paracord set the meat on it and then make a few wraps around the meat to hold it on. It actually works better then you would think.

Yea it’s not as comfortable as my kifaru, but its a 1 trip in and out and gets the job done. I have no desire to bring my backpack with me whitetail hunting up to a mile or 2.

I’ve even done it once without a waist belt, just shoulder straps. It was a small southern deer, but it sure beat dragging or making a trip back to my truck get my backpack.
Exactly, I hunt in TN and AR private and public land. Our deer just aren't that heavy boned out. Secondly, I've only ever hunted w a small fanny pack and cargo pant pockets. That is more than enough for my gear; so I've been really trying to avoid the expense, extra weight, and hassle of a pack. Would a nice frame-pack carry my gear, stand, steps, and pack out meat better? Absolutely; I just don't think it is worth it for the way I hunt. The furthest I've ever hiked in is 1.25 miles and the terrain was rolling hills. I'm confident I can make the stand itself work as a meat-hauler for that distance w my MOLLE II suspension system on it. Sure as heck will beat going to the truck for my cart and carting one out, which is all I've ever done up till now.

OP
H

htr2133

FNG
Don’t over think it, just use paracord. 20’ is plenty enough, weighs nothing and pack’s down small enough to fit in a pocket.
Thanks, I was just thinking that might work fine! I could weave 20 ft of paracord around several meat bags positioned well on the stand. I need to give that a test run.