Stand hunting

Yukondog

WKR
I'm back from my S. Dakota hunt. Blue Tongue hammered the herd up there. No tags where punched.

I did though manage to freeze once again. Third year and I still have not figured out what system to use. This year it was below zero with the wind for two of the days. Froze my tail off. Plus, the bulk of everything I had on would have limited me if I had a buck walk by.

So, looking at Sitka Fanatic and Incinerator. Or how about Arctic Shield gear? Looking at the Cabela's MT050 WT Extreme gear it seems to have more insulation than the Fanatic system.

What are you guys using for 0 - 40 degree's? Above 40 I can use my KUIU gear and be fine. But below that and I need some help.

How much more warmth would I get from the new KUIU Super Down jacket and pants?

Thanks,

Matt

Shane

Lil-Rokslider
I like Patagonia stuff. Nothing is colder than stand hunting in sub-freezing temps, but if you get layered with the right stuff you're good. I put on poly-pro long johns, then some Patagonia fleece pants that I don't think they make anymore. These would be a good substitute: http://www.patagonia.com/us/product...dition-weight-baselayer-bottoms?p=43506-1-155.

Then my camo hunting pants. I wear various warm socks under some Gore-tex boots with 800gr Thinsulate - NO STEEL TOE.

On top, I wear a warm base layer shirt (various ones), then a thick fleece pullover, then a Puff jacket like this: http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-nano-puff-pullover?p=84020-0-340, and then my camo berber fleece jacket from Cabela's: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...leece+jacket&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products.

That Puff jacket is incredibly warm, and it cuts wind like crazy. With the warm under shirt and fleece jacket underneath, it's awesome. It's not very bulky at all. With 4 layers including the jacket, it's obviously more bulk than just a shirt and a jacket, but I can shoot my bow or rifle with ease. The fleece is quiet. You don't want the Puff jacket on the outside, as it isn't real quiet. But it's not noisy sandwiched between fleece and the outer jacket.

Add a warm baclava or a neck gaitor and a warm hat or whatever you like to keep your head and neck warm. Then I like warm glove liners inside Thinsulate fingerless/mitt gloves: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...gerless+mitt&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

I've hunted all day in single digit temps like that and did fine. I have to remove layers if I get up and move around. It's too hot for activity.

OP
Y

Yukondog

WKR
Thanks Shane. I have looked at those gloves before. I can't seem to get the feel I want while holding my bow and even more so my release hand. I do wear the spindrift jacket and it is warm. The biggest problem last weekend was the dang wind. 0 and still feels a whole lot better than 18 with 25mph winds.

Are there any "Made in the USA" companies out there that make good cold weather WT stand gear?

My feet where fine, although rubber boots are horrible after walking a half mile into the stand. They don't breathe and once I get to the stand my feet are wet. I didn't get cold feet with the 1000g boots, but the wet socks are no fun.

I looked at some Manzella gloves today that are lightweight. They have a hole in the wrist for the release to come out of. Maybe those gloves and hand muffs with chemical hand warmers would be the ticket?

Matt

OP
Y

Yukondog

WKR
NEhunter - I have started to look at the heater body suit and warm bag. I think the warm bag may be made in the US. I was thinking that I could use my existing clothes and add one of those bags. Have you used one in the past? How did go?

Goober

Lil-Rokslider
http://www.graywolfwoolens.com/store/home.php

Custom made to fit you wool. Made in USA (WI). Awesome stuff, I love mine! It is a one (or 2) man operation. You call up there and talk to the guy who will be building your clothing, tell him your measurements, tell him where you want what pockets, what kind of zipper or snaps, so on and so forth. I cannot say enough good things about them! And they are the warmest thing I have found (short of the Heater Body Suit). Rugged and durable as all hell. Last you forever or darn close!

Shrek

WKR
Goober , I got a fabric sample pak from them about a month ago. Good to know they make good sruff. How heavy is the wool pants and jacket ? The patch of wool I got is so small it's hard to get a feel of how it drapes and weighs.

Shrek

WKR
Yukondog , I gave up on rubber boots years ago. I wear some regular goretex boots with wool socks. I carry a heavy wool blanket and lay it open onthe seat to the floor of the stand. Sit down and loosen the laces and wrap the blanket over my legs and feet. My feet on the blanket guiets my stand down too. If I need to stand I let the blanket fall open and I'm free and in much lighter and easier to move in clothes.

NEhunter

WKR
NEhunter - I have started to look at the heater body suit and warm bag. I think the warm bag may be made in the US. I was thinking that I could use my existing clothes and add one of those bags. Have you used one in the past? How did go?
Nope, I havent used these yet. Something that I just started looking into though and thought it may work for you too. I will have to check out that warm bag.

Goober

Lil-Rokslider
Goober , I got a fabric sample pak from them about a month ago. Good to know they make good sruff. How heavy is the wool pants and jacket ? The patch of wool I got is so small it's hard to get a feel of how it drapes and weighs.

It's heavy duty stuff. Not the type of clothing a normal person would pack in on an ultra-lightweight hunt. I guess it is hard to know what to compare it to. It's no Kuiu. It is heavy enough to withstand alot of abuse. It isn't heavy enough to make me say "damn, this stuff it too heavy" but I am not a die hard lightweight guy either. If you cut your toothbrush in half to save weight, it's too heavy for you. If you appreciate a well constructed garment that will provide decades of hard use, it's for you. it drapes and wears very well. And if you don't like it, he will make it right.

OP
Y

Yukondog

WKR
Ravenwear rings a bell for some reason. Will check it out. Thank you Larry.

Goober - Gray Wolf sounds perfect. Love the idea of a small business making clothing for a individual. I'm somewhat of a ounce weenie, but when it comes to hunting whitetails from a stand comfort is more important than weight. I will look them up. Awesome suggestion.

Is anyone out there using Arctic Shield, Sitka or the MTO50 stuff?

Thanks for all the ideas. Next year I hope to have it dialed in. My luck it will be unseasonably hot out and I won't need the cold gear.

Matt

For you stand hunters back east or wherever you plan to hunt... You cannot go wrong with the Predator Fleece with Wind Barrier.. This stuff is amazing and I highly reccomend it... It flat out works, great camo, QUIET! and it is super warm. This coming from a guy who has all the Sitka Forest line for stand hunting, several full sets of Wool (both snow camo and forest style camo), and I have no idea how many other types of cold weather clothing, I'll go to my predator every single time...

attachment.php

Dead eye

FNG
I hunted Canada this year and it was very cold with a foot of snow and I used the down booties and a thin pair of liners on my hands and put my hands in a hand warmer pouch that goes around your waist that you put your hands in. I would put two or three hand warmers inside the pouch and it kept my hands very warm and yet i was able to shoot my bow.