Stand Mixer Meat Grinder attachment

Will_m

WKR
Anybody ever used the meat grinder attachment for a stand mixer? Does it work?

Gbrecka

Lil-Rokslider
We have one for the kitchen aid mixer. It works fine, but I wouldn’t want to use it for much volume. Few pounds max. I find I use it if I’m making a small batch or sausage grinding wild turkey. Much more and I get out the big grinder.

We have one for the kitchen aid mixer. It works fine, but I wouldn’t want to use it for much volume. Few pounds max. I find I use it if I’m making a small batch or sausage grinding wild turkey. Much more and I get out the big grinder.

We have one too. It works great for what it is. Got us through a few deer while living in a small apartment. Works well 1 lb at a time. I would freeze chunks in 1 lb bags and grind it as needed. Not powerful enough to do a lot at once. Now I have the cabelas .75 hp and it blows through a whole deer in about 10 minutes minus the lions and backstraps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have one, it works fine for us. We do have a mixer with a larger motor than the base models. I haven’t ever used stand alone grinder so I have nothing to compare it’s performance against.

SliverShooter

Lil-Rokslider
Like those above, I have, or should I say my wife has, a kitchen aid with the mixer attachment. It is the larger model, with the larger motor and works fine for deer. It is slower than a grinder designed specifically for meat, but it gets the job done without much extra effort. It has done elk, without any problems, it just takes longer.

I “had” one for the kitchen aid. It sucked.
The wife was full of hate when I was feeding bloody meat through her mixer. She loves to bake and uses the mixer all the time. It wasn’t worth the fight and I finally bought a dedicated grinder

Ucsdryder

WKR
The smaller cabelas grinders can be found for 80 or so on sale. They work well. I did 6 animals this year. 5 with the little cabelas and 1 with a .75hp LEM. There was little difference between the 2. Maybe 15% faster with the LEM.

I used one for years before I got a big grinder. Its a hell of a lot better than nothing and much better than a hand grinder (presuming you have power where you're grinding!!). If you've already got the mixer its worth it if you're doing a deer or two a year. I've never used a small cabbalas so that may be good advice too.

That said, once I got a #22 LEM (black friday coming up) I never again used it.

Rainyday

FNG
Like others have said the kitchen aid grinder will work fine for a deer. If you are doing something like an elk a more powerful grinder would be ideal

I have the bigger kitchen aid and there are a few different grinder attachments that your can buy. I got the all stainless one by chefs choice and it's definitely nicer than the standard one (lots of plastic). I've had good success with it for a couple critters and because it's a big chunk of metal I just leave it in the freezer and it helps keep everything grinding well.

JoeDirt

WKR
Everyone is assuming you're talking about a Kitchen Aid?

I have an old 70qt Hobart Mixer 220v 3 speed with a clutch.

It does great with a large meat grinder attachment :ROFLMAO:

I ran a bear, two elk, and a bunch of deer through my KitchenAid mixer grinder attachment, and used the sausage stuffer attachment quite a bit as well. It works, but it's REAL slow. Also causes the KitchenAid to get super hot, so I worry about the motor, and stop occasionally, slowing down the process further.

Recently got a Cabellas stand alone grinder. So much nicer.

Tater730

FNG
Anybody ever used the meat grinder attachment for a stand mixer? Does it work?
I have used it a few times. The o ring on the auger bleeds into the meat...Kitchen aid said it is only rated for 5lbs of meat max at a time. I occasionally use it just to stuff sausage.

awasome

Lil-Rokslider
I had one. While pushing semi frozen brisket through for sausage the collar that holds the die on exploded (since it was plastic). I have since got a dedicated grinder which is much faster and I don't have to worry about plastic parts exploding off the thing.

BBob

WKR
Like others above I used the Kitchen Aid for a number of years. It worked but it seemed obvious it was hard on the machine for the amount I needed to process. The mixer was a gift to the girlfriend and although she didn't protest I didn't want to wear it out on her (she used it a lot herself) so I did like others and bought a dedicated stand alone machine rated for the capacity we processed.

I've used my wife's Kitchenaid mixer with grinder attachement when I wan't to grind up some meat for burgers. The noises the mixer makes doesn't sound that great LOL but it gets the job done. I wouldn't use it to grind up a lot of meat though, I'd rather go out and buy an actual grinder if I planned on processing a whole animal.

Groin

FNG
I completely overheated and burned up our mixer going through a small mulie. Just take your time, and you will be ok.

Lawnboi

WKR
I grind a lot on my kitchen aid. That said it’s a big one, and it dosnt work too hard like some of the smaller units.

Iv got a smokehouse chef all stainless grinder attachment for it. If I’m doing under 10 pounds I usually just use the mixer. Iv moved to doing more small batch burger than doing one big grind every year.

Brewski

Lil-Rokslider
I grind 3 deer throughout the year with the mixer attachment and it works OK but slow. I'm upgrading to a dedicated lem grinder on black Friday.

A couple kitchenaid tips: cut into strips and freeze. Put mixer attachment in freezer. Place a flexible frozen ice pack on top of the motor. Rubber band half of a paper towel above the mixer discharge to save on the spray mess. Stop every 1-2 pounds to clear out the silver skin from the plate and blade. Don't go faster then speed 3 or 4.