Standard diameter steel inserts

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve done a bit of searching, and don’t see a ton of options out there.

I’m planning on using standard diameter arrows for now as 90 percent of my hunting is 30 yards and closer for whitetail, and even if I do go Elk hunting with my bow, I plan to limit my shots to what is well within my abilities. Lastly, I like the simplicity and ease of installation of standard components.

I’d like to use steel inserts with these, for the strength and weight. I think anywhere from 30-50 grains will meet my overall weight and FOC goals.

Options I’ve seen are Victory Archery VForce Stainless Steel insert at 33 grains, and the Sirius Tuff Insert at 50 grains.

Lastly are the Ethics cut-down inserts. Which, pardon my ignorance, but what’s the best way to cut those? Hacksaw? Pipe cutter?

Anyone have experience or reviews of any of those three inserts?

Arrows will likely be the VF TKO if that makes a difference.

At one point Ethics sold some 35 grain SS inserts for standard (.244-.246) diameter shafts. I bought a bunch off ebay before they discontinued them. As far as the cut-off points they offer, I cut them with my arrow saw or a cut-off wheel on my dremel. It's not as hard as it might seem. I usually thread an old field point into the insert then clamp onto the field point with vise grips.

Firenock makes a .244-.246 SS insert that weighs 30 grains.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Black Eagle makes SS 52 grain half-outs.

Like doncarpenter, I just use a cut-off wheel in a dremel to take off chunks of the Ethics half-outs when I am tuning arrows.

Holocene

WKR
If you need the weight, you could consider a Gold Tip acculite with their FACT weights in the back. It's aluminum, but plenty strong for anything. I've sent a few through plywood and sheet metal and the arrow will break or bend before the insert will fail.

Top Hat sells a stainless .244 insert that would work as well if you need stainless. High quality and they are available at Lancaster but often out of stock.

MattB

WKR
Have you had an issue with the strength of standard aluminum inserts? My guess is that you are having a hard time finding what you are looking for insert-wise because companies have figured out there isn't much of a market selling a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. I would either use standard aluminum inserts and buy BH's in a weight that gives me the point weight I want or (better yet) ignore FOC and shoot readily available components like most all really successful bowhunters do.

OP
Dave0317

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
No issue with the inserts I’m currently using really. But possibly going after Elk with a bow for the first time just had me thinking about maximizing the strength of my setup since I’m planning on getting new arrows anyway.

Not aiming for anything super crazy FOC or weight wise. Looking at a 9.5 GPI shaft (27 inch length), sticking with a 125 grain point due to the vastly greater broadhead choices in that weight.
Adding 30-50 grains of insert weight will get me in the ballpark of a 440-460 grains total weight and about 13 percent FOC. Nothing crazy and well within most manufacturers recommendations, just a hair heavier than my previous set up which used a shaft that’s now discontinued, so I’m in the market regardless of whether the previous arrow was sufficient or not.

I considered the aluminum inserts with added weights of course, but figured, if I know a ballpark weight I want, and steel is stronger anyway, why not use it?

Holocene

WKR
@Dave0317, all good thinking and it's a coin toss at this point.

Going with the Top Hat inserts would be slightly less expensive than GT plus their FACT weights -- they are like $1 a piece for each weight component.

But the GT inserts with FACT weights would allow you to remove those weights later if you wanted to lighten the arrows again after hunting elk so you could return to (I assume) more deer hunting.

The 30 grain SS insert from Firenock seems like a good compromise on weight.

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
No issue with the inserts I’m currently using really. But possibly going after Elk with a bow for the first time just had me thinking about maximizing the strength of my setup since I’m planning on getting new arrows anyway.

Not aiming for anything super crazy FOC or weight wise. Looking at a 9.5 GPI shaft (27 inch length), sticking with a 125 grain point due to the vastly greater broadhead choices in that weight.
Adding 30-50 grains of insert weight will get me in the ballpark of a 440-460 grains total weight and about 13 percent FOC. Nothing crazy and well within most manufacturers recommendations, just a hair heavier than my previous set up which used a shaft that’s now discontinued, so I’m in the market regardless of whether the previous arrow was sufficient or not.

I considered the aluminum inserts with added weights of course, but figured, if I know a ballpark weight I want, and steel is stronger anyway, why not use it?
If you're going for a stronger setup and plan to shoot a 5mm Axis 340 @27" shaft - I'd personally run 100g points, 50g Iron Will HIT inserts, and use the Iron Will 10g collars on them....if you are planning to hunt elk. Your finished arrow weight will be right in the range you said, maybe up to 14% FOC. Just a suggestion