Standard Slick Trick Broadheads

With my new hoyt setup I decided to try the slick tricks. I hunted Hawaii this past winter. Shot a lot of animals, but on solid shots on pigs and goats I got minimal blood trails. I'm concerned about this because I want to use them on elk and mulies this fall. Anyone else have this issue?

Beendare

WKR
....Anyone else have this issue?
The simple answer; Blood trail has more to do with your shot location than the BH. For example,if you shoot them high you don't usually get a very good blood trail.

Long answer; Yes, I've had the short ST head blades dull on the hides of wallowing hogs and bull Elk...and perform poorly as you are essentially shooting them with a dull BH. I do think BH design matters...but again, shot location is going to be a big factor.

FWIW, I like the tapered COC heads with beefier blades.

My buddy was just complaining to me about that ST head... he shot a big boar[298# on a scale] and the bh disintegrated on the 1 " shield and back of the scapula. To be fair, I think a lot of heads would have done poorly on that same shot... but the design I like does well in all scenarios.

mtnhntr

WKR
I'd like to hear some more about these BHs as well. I was planning on trying these out for a bighorn hunt this fall, and a poor BH construction is the last thing I'd want to have. I'm staunchly opposed to mechanical's so I'm looking for something fixed and reliable. I've shot the G5 Montec and absolutely love the way they shoot - but even with a great double lung pass through shot (low exits) have had absolutely zero blood trails. Had I not seen the animal's fall I'd have never found them.

Huntin wv

Lil-Rokslider
I have shot the slick trick magnums the past few years. I have shot whitetailed deer, hogs, and an elk with them and haven't had any problems with blood trails or durability.

OP
Seth Hatecke
Overall I do really like the head. It tuned great, and it stood up well to the Hawaiian lava on pass throughs. My hits were solid double lung pass throughs. I did have a axis doe heart shot that looked like it got blasted with a 338 lapua. I just didn't know if that was the exception as the other 5 animals had smaller trails. Not impossible as I found them all, just not what i expected with a double lunger.

I have been using Slick trick Standards for years.. Only time i lost an animal was 100% my fault. The broad heads are the best performing cheaper broad heads i have found. This year i will most likely switch Solids but you can get like 9 slick tricks for the price of 3 Solids.. I have had pass through s on almost every deer and elk unless i slam a shoulder. For fixed blade broad heads they require zero to little tuning depending on your bow. Blood trails have normally been great, however there has been one or two that required more effort, but usually the animal expired within a 100 yards..

jmez

WKR
I used Magnums for several years and no problems. Here's a couple examples.
IMG_20141122_094316_594_zpsz5gikjse.jpg

Yes there is snow but wouldn't have been an issue on dry ground.

IMG_20131130_090555_366_zpsdw0dk0ia.jpg

Bughalli

WKR
I mostly shoot expandables, but in States where they require fixed blades I use Slick Tricks. I tried 4 or 5 different BH and these shot the best from an accuracy perspective. I was impressed with them.

I agree that shot placement and making sure that blades are scary sharp are key to a good blood trail. Logically blood trails will be even better with a larger cutting diameter but I have had good experiences with the ST Standards so far (Shot 4 critters). Below is the end of a short blood trail on a fall bear shot with ST Standards - exit hole was low on the bear and blades were sharp which resulted in a great blood trial.

View attachment 51347

Beendare

WKR
Comparing BH's is splitting hairs....they all work in perfect conditions.

The ST is a good cheap head.

Personally I want something that holds a sharper edge through the animal and is stronger...different strokes.