Standing Desk with Walking Pad?

bigbassin

Lil-Rokslider
As my career progress I find myself going from the field to more and more in the office.

Around this time last year I’d say I started spending maybe 20% of my time in the field, 80% in the office. Further skewed because when I am in the field it’s to look at something/coordinate crews so while I may be on my feet I’m no longer actively getting into the work the way I used to. Coincidentally I gained about 2 pounds per month starting this time last year up until December when it registered that I can’t eat the way I used to.

I feel more tired after a day in the office then I ever have pouring concrete from dark to dark, posture isn’t as good, don’t go to sleep as quick anymore.

Curious if anyone uses a walking pad with a standing desk? I’m thinking a rotation of 20 minutes walking, 20 minutes standing, 20 minutes sitting may keep me feeling way less fatigued, more productive, plus help with the weight and posture.

Interestingly I do seem to be putting up more in the weight room now, although my cardio is done. I’m guessing I’m just able to hit the gym harder since I didn’t exert force all day.

Pros/cons in y’alls experience? Gimmick or does it actually help?

For clarity, I love my job and the company I work for. Very appreciative of the opportunities that have been provided to me, just trying to find a good balance of being able to be active while accomplishing what I need to.

I have an adjustable desk and made the transition from construction site to office work some time ago. Some observations

1) I find the type of work I’m doing dictates my position. Anything requiring deep focus and concentration and I need to sit. Lighter work and routine administrative stuff, and I prefer to stand. The only time I can move is when I’m on a phone call and I use a wireless headset for wandering around my workspace.

2) rather than a set schedule of body positioning, I organize my work day tasks to mix things up.

3) as far as the aches and fatigue, yeah, it sucks. I’ve found more range of motion during the day helps more than simply walking. Air squats and pushups are my favorite for still maintaining a professional appearance but actually moving a bit.

4) move during your breaks. If I have to pick between a 20 minute run and eating lunch, I’m going to run every time I’m at the office.

5) you might get some funny looks or comments from coworkers. Doesn’t bother me, but it definitely happens.

If I were in your position, I’d get the adjustable desk and try to incorporate some other stuff and see how your body responds before getting the walking pad It may be enough maybe not, but I’ll bet you learn some more about what your body needs.

Cady Creek

Lil-Rokslider
Feel your pain, but will agree with WF above. Knocking out some air squats every hour or two really seems to help out. As for the Walking Pad, my GF wanted one of these things in the worst way. The one pro I can say about it is, its small and easily moveable for use and storage. That's where the pro's end though. Like I said, it's small. Works good for her at 5' nothing, but being over 6' there is no way I can walk on it at a good clip without focusing. It has a narrow belt, so foot position is important as is your stride. I've nearly been on my ass a dozen times on that thing. We got one with plenty of speed, but we're both used to cranking the treadmill up to a significant incline at the gym, so walking flat just isn't the same. Although I would agree it's probably better for a workplace setting than dripping sweat in your office, but I'd certainly bite the dust on that thing trying to do any sort of work while using. YMMV

TaperPin

WKR
This is a really bad photo, but this setup works - rather than a bike it could be a treadmill.

The stand the monitor is on extends up to standing height (has a gas piston so lifting the monitor is pretty easy) and a good size monitor let’s you keep it a little further away. This style of stand is pretty popular with a number of people we know that work out of a home office.

I also know some people that have a flat screen on the wall so they walk on the treadmill while watching company zoom calls. The bike has a good place to place a tablet on if you just have to watch or listen to some company meeting. If that’s frowned upon, or you need to also be on camera, just being able to stand up at the desk for things like that is nice.

I also know some people that can’t stay comfortable in any chair, so they rotate between a sitting ball, a few styles of chair and standing.

9D5D819E-BDBE-4FE1-86FC-0F67C6CD8FD0.jpeg

Backyard

WKR
More exercise out of work to help offset what you used to get in the field helps. Age has a lot (not only) to do with this also. You never mentioned your age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ssgjpd

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I do not have a walking pad, but I do have an elevated desk. I stand almost all day unless I am in a conference room.

OP
B

bigbassin

Lil-Rokslider
If I were in your position, I’d get the adjustable desk and try to incorporate some other stuff and see how your body responds before getting the walking pad It may be enough maybe not, but I’ll bet you learn some more about what your body needs.
I’ve started alternating between burpees and stretching every hour last week, seems to help with the short burst of energy levels. Doesn’t seem to be in all day fix for me currently, but I agree mixing that with the standing desk would be a good first step before investing in a walking pad as well.

Works good for her at 5' nothing, but being over 6' there is no way I can walk on it at a good clip without focusing. It has a narrow belt, so foot position is important as is your stride. I've nearly been on my ass a dozen times on that thing.
This was my main concern, they seem to be fairly small and I wasn’t sure I’d actually fit.

More exercise out of work to help offset what you used to get in the field helps. Age has a lot (not only) to do with this also. You never mentioned your age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28, so I wouldn’t think age is a driving factor. More so that I used to run before work, was physical all day at work, then hit the weights afterwards. At one point I was eating two king size candy bars a day to stop losing weight.

Still lifting 4 days a week and cardio about 2-3, but I need to get that back up to 5 days a week in both areas.

Changed my diet big time in the last 2 months, which definitely helped with energy levels but not yet back to where I was.

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
I’m about 50/50 office and field now and like you said, my field work is mostly walking around. It’s incredible how much better one feels after physical labor all day.

I use a stand up on my desk and try to take walks. I’ve always wondered about the walking treadmill, but it seems really impractical that it would work. I also had a guy tell me he uses a desk bicycle and likes that.

JDMBEND

Lil-Rokslider
My wife works remotely and nearly half of her day is meetings and conference calls. She utilizes a standup desk and walking pad. Usually gets 10-12,000 steps a day. Feels much better since using it.

dusky

FNG
I love my standing desk. I bought an iMovR frame and added a custom wood top. The frame is stout and well reviewed. Love it. Added a drawer underneath the desk stop. The standing pad is good. Also use a rocker board from time to time. Makes my hyperactivity more manageable and keeps my body fluid. A good ergonomic chair helps a lot also. For me it wasn't a gimmick. For my wife it was. I regret buying her one. At least I didn't chip in on the peloton she bought and uses to hang laundry from.

ODB

WKR
I used to use a stand up desk for a very long time and liked it. I got rid of it when I moved because I got rid of half my house stuff... I am thinking of getting another because I am on the Mac a LOT. I do like the mobility, but as someone else said, certain tasks (like for me book or audio editing) seem to go better while sitting - no idea why...

BeatEater

FNG
I’m in a similar situation moving from the field to a desk. Breaking the day up with short exercises sessions seems to help. I also like to balance on one leg while standing at my desk.