Start to Finish (Informational request)

This has been discussed before - And I don't mean to add to the % increase of hunters in your states. However, I am at a point in my life where I need to get the monkey off my back -

It's a hell of a lot easier to ask the questions you have in your mind and get direct answers to them.

Before we start I appreciate your time.. So TIA

I've had a desire to chase big game out west DIY, out of a backpack for sometime, I am at the stage where I need to check that box (with hopes I can continue to convince others to tag along).

Longtime Archery Whitetail hunter

Lets say 2022 Season -

1.) 3 Person group - Only 1 tag holder (myself) - Setup base camp at the truck? Spike Setup? Or go Bivy?

2.) Archery OTC/ Build points - I think the first time around I am going to put in for a tag in Colorado (I more than likely wont draw but will accrue points) if I don't draw I will purchase an OTC. I understand the increase in hunters etc. What's my best option in regards to timing of the Archery Season - On them first week, less pressure? Or mid-late Sept?

3.) I've watched numerous videos, read forums and plan overall research on how to choose a unit. Any other tips?

4.) Colorado seems like a good place to get my feet wet, it's not such a drive (roughly 17 hours from Cincinnati) - Any other states at you would recommend that offer OTC?

Appreciate it

Gerbdog

WKR
Lucky for you there's mixed opinions on all of the questions, no absolute right answers, and loads of information out there and right here in these forums. I'll take a swing for you: and would like to lead with: just get out there and do it. Your not gonna think and plan that elk into a freezer.

1. Personally i'd camp near the truck and be prepared to move to find elk. Especially for your first time out west. If hunting from the pack is your dream, do that, worst case is you have an expensive camping trip in beautiful country

2. Whatever weeks you can get the most time to hunt with... if that means timing labor day weekend in with it... do that.... otherwise people swear 15th-30th is the prime time... Personally i dont like hunting during muzzleloader season, thats just personal preference.

3. Nope. There's a hundred ways to scout for elk and then you will get out there and find they are all sitting in a patch of timber on the eastern facing side of the slope... north facing timber be damned haha. That said, you cant know that til you get boots on the ground and the current wisdom you found on the internet is as good as it gets for E-scouting.

4. CO OTC is as good as any OTC unit/state in the west.... theres a reason they are OTC and they make lots and lots of money on these tags. If there was a better OTC unit out west no one would tell us anyway.... would be tightly guarded information,. There are elk in OTC units! Despite what you may hear. Just make sure you leave the truck and hike a bit before you determine there are in fact no elk in OTC units and its all just to rake in money for the state.

Welcome to the forums

Every day you spend in your spot is an investment. Nothing tops knowing your area in detail and that takes years. So switching spots after several seasons puts you right back to square one. So in my opinion Colorado is the worst place to get your feet wet. It’s extremely hard to learn about elk hunting when they are pressured and nocturnal. Or worse yet they just aren’t there. I just shake my head when I hear someone say….” We’re planning our first elk hunt and since this is the shortest drive so…”Screw the drive! It’s about the hunting. If you want some ideas for a better plan take the time to PM me and I’ll pass along a few ideas for starting a long term elk hunting career.

Last edited:

Vandy321

WKR
Yeah check WY, tag soup costs the same there.

I kid, but odds say 90% chance that what you go home and eat.

Wapiti1

WKR
Don't discount cow tags in units you want to hunt on a draw tag for a bull. The seasons probably won't match for something like archery bull tag verse late season cow, but you'll gain a lot of knowledge of the unit while getting a tasty critter. And the success rate is much higher typically. Killing any elk is the path to killing another elk. CO and WY have some easy to get cow opportunities.

Just throwing out another option that would allow for a fun hunt and less stress, IMO, getting your feet wet on an elk hunt.

Jeremy

Don't discount cow tags in units you want to hunt on a draw tag for a bull. The seasons probably won't match for something like archery bull tag verse late season cow, but you'll gain a lot of knowledge of the unit while getting a tasty critter. And the success rate is much higher typically. Killing any elk is the path to killing another elk. CO and WY have some easy to get cow opportunities.

Just throwing out another option that would allow for a fun hunt and less stress, IMO, getting your feet wet on an elk hunt.

Jeremy
Great idea. Cow hunting while saving 2 or 3 points in Wyoming is a great plan. Learn your area with a cheaper tag and then when you draw a general license you’ll be ready to put it to good use.

DCT1983

Lil-Rokslider
I think of it were me I’d try to draw a general Montana tag while getting points in WY. Montana is not otc, but has decent odds at a general tag. Also in Montana if the archery doesn’t work out you can go back for rifle season (not that us easterners have the opportunity to do that trip twice in one year but some might). Then if all else fails you still have otc in Colorado to fall back on.
As far as the drive, I’d you’re always going 17 hours, what’s a few more?

OP
C
I think of it were me I’d try to draw a general Montana tag while getting points in WY. Montana is not otc, but has decent odds at a general tag. Also in Montana if the archery doesn’t work out you can go back for rifle season (not that us easterners have the opportunity to do that trip twice in one year but some might). Then if all else fails you still have otc in Colorado to fall back on.
As far as the drive, I’d you’re always going 17 hours, what’s a few more?
So after you mentioned this I did some quick research on Montana - It does look like I can purchase a preference point. Also, that you can only do 2 consistent years of preference points. Which feels like I'll have pretty decent odds. You're right, it's not much further for me that Colorado.. My big questions is ****, it's Bear Country...... Any worries there?

OP
C
Great idea. Cow hunting while saving 2 or 3 points in Wyoming is a great plan. Learn your area with a cheaper tag and then when you draw a general license you’ll be ready to put it to good use.
Great idea - Be a sad day however if I see a big bull and don't have a bull tag..

OP
C
Lucky for you there's mixed opinions on all of the questions, no absolute right answers, and loads of information out there and right here in these forums. I'll take a swing for you: and would like to lead with: just get out there and do it. Your not gonna think and plan that elk into a freezer.

1. Personally i'd camp near the truck and be prepared to move to find elk. Especially for your first time out west. If hunting from the pack is your dream, do that, worst case is you have an expensive camping trip in beautiful country

2. Whatever weeks you can get the most time to hunt with... if that means timing labor day weekend in with it... do that.... otherwise people swear 15th-30th is the prime time... Personally i dont like hunting during muzzleloader season, thats just personal preference.

3. Nope. There's a hundred ways to scout for elk and then you will get out there and find they are all sitting in a patch of timber on the eastern facing side of the slope... north facing timber be damned haha. That said, you cant know that til you get boots on the ground and the current wisdom you found on the internet is as good as it gets for E-scouting.

4. CO OTC is as good as any OTC unit/state in the west.... theres a reason they are OTC and they make lots and lots of money on these tags. If there was a better OTC unit out west no one would tell us anyway.... would be tightly guarded information,. There are elk in OTC units! Despite what you may hear. Just make sure you leave the truck and hike a bit before you determine there are in fact no elk in OTC units and its all just to rake in money for the state.

Welcome to the forums
Thanks for the info - Looks like most do recommend setting up close to the truck and being mobile between units also. Yea I think success rate can be somewhat deceiving at times. I feel like I wonder what the success rate of someone that is situationally mobile. By that I mean, base camp at the truck, can move to a quick spike camp if needed and or pack up and move to another unit if you're not on fresh sign.

DCT1983

Lil-Rokslider
So after you mentioned this I did some quick research on Montana - It does look like I can purchase a preference point. Also, that you can only do 2 consistent years of preference points. Which feels like I'll have pretty decent odds. You're right, it's not much further for me that Colorado.. My big questions is ****, it's Bear Country...... Any worries there?
All depends on where you at rather there are bears. That is definitely something to consider when you are thinking about hunting Montana, Wyoming and Idaho.

Peregrine1

WKR
Classified Approved
Colorado OTC is good, but wont be for long thanks to wolf reintroduction that passed by 1% in 2020 election

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bighorner

WKR
I'm not sure if you have previously done any backpacking in the west but that maybe a good place to start. Jumping into a backpack hunt for your first backpack trip is biting off alot. Each year I go recreational backpacking for fun. The pack is about 15 pounds lighter, the weather is better, and I'm not completely exhausted when I get back. If you want to hunt first, go with a mobile set up. You will feel safer near a your vehicle in inclement weather, you will eat better, and probably feel more rested. This is just my personal opinion. What ever you do, get to it. There are certainly benefits to LE tags, but OTC and good to draw tags are the best place to start. Just watch out for places that dont have access to aleast get started looking for elk. Good luck and dont judge a successful trip only on punching a tag. Odds are not in your favor especially for the first trip. There is certainly alot of luck and learning that goes into the chance to be successful.

OP
C
I'm not sure if you have previously done any backpacking in the west but that maybe a good place to start. Jumping into a backpack hunt for your first backpack trip is biting off alot. Each year I go recreational backpacking for fun. The pack is about 15 pounds lighter, the weather is better, and I'm not completely exhausted when I get back. If you want to hunt first, go with a mobile set up. You will feel safer near a your vehicle in inclement weather, you will eat better, and probably feel more rested. This is just my personal opinion. What ever you do, get to it. There are certainly benefits to LE tags, but OTC and good to draw tags are the best place to start. Just watch out for places that dont have access to aleast get started looking for elk. Good luck and dont judge a successful trip only on punching a tag. Odds are not in your favor especially for the first trip. There is certainly alot of luck and learning that goes into the chance to be successful.
I have not very much to be honest. The plan would be it hike once a month with a pack carrying some weight for a good bit. As a family we do quite a bit of hiking when time allows, roughly once a week. I figured I'd carry my pack with me just to get my body used to it. Then once a month round up the buddies and go for a long trek with some good elevation changes..

WCB

WKR
1.a) I don't know your firend group but finding two other guys that want to bust ass around the mountains with no tags has got to be hard to find and/or guys that 100% after a day or two won't get lazy being a packer. I would honestly just plan on going by yourself. Less logistical issues and crap to deal with.

1.b)Hybrid model of camping. Truck camp but also bring enough to be out for a day or two if wanted or needed. Say you are on elk 3 or 4 hard miles from the vehicle...I'd rather back off a bit an be right there in the morning OR if you kill an elk at last light you can just plop down and spend a night.

2. 4. Elk tags are getting harder to get. Buy points where you can and apply when that time arrives. Use the OTC as a fall back. With driving and time on the road check out MT, WY, CO, NM. In general 2nd half of Sept. is better than the first half. But sometimes with Elk there is a magically day or two where things just go nuts and it could be anytime. As mentioned above whatever works best for your schedule to get as much time in the field as possible.

3. Scouting videos or unit selection videos can be deceiving. Leave any notion of "Elk do xyz..." in relation to the Sun, wind, snow, rain etc. More times than I can count animals have been doing the complete opposite of what they were supposed to be doing according to scouting gurus. They are where they are when they get there.

This has been discussed before - And I don't mean to add to the % increase of hunters in your states. However, I am at a point in my life where I need to get the monkey off my back -

It's a hell of a lot easier to ask the questions you have in your mind and get direct answers to them.

Before we start I appreciate your time.. So TIA

I've had a desire to chase big game out west DIY, out of a backpack for sometime, I am at the stage where I need to check that box (with hopes I can continue to convince others to tag along).

Longtime Archery Whitetail hunter

Lets say 2022 Season -

1.) 3 Person group - Only 1 tag holder (myself) - Setup base camp at the truck? Spike Setup? Or go Bivy?

2.) Archery OTC/ Build points - I think the first time around I am going to put in for a tag in Colorado (I more than likely wont draw but will accrue points) if I don't draw I will purchase an OTC. I understand the increase in hunters etc. What's my best option in regards to timing of the Archery Season - On them first week, less pressure? Or mid-late Sept?

3.) I've watched numerous videos, read forums and plan overall research on how to choose a unit. Any other tips?

4.) Colorado seems like a good place to get my feet wet, it's not such a drive (roughly 17 hours from Cincinnati) - Any other states at you would recommend that offer OTC?

Appreciate it
There are people who go and do things- then there are people who “TALK” about doing things they will never do….

If you are serious, you will go in 2021 this year even if it’s a solo bonsai long weekend trip. You will learn more in 2 days about yourself and what you need to do to be a successful western hunter than a year talking about it!!!

I find these forums and advice way more beneficial once I have at least a basis for understanding what many of these experienced hunters have to say.

Great idea - Be a sad day however if I see a big bull and don't have a bull tag..
That would be pure luck since you have no experience and don’t know your area. If you’re counting on luck hope for a cow. A freebie bull happens once in a blue blue moon. If you see a bull good for you. But what if you see all cows and go home empty handed after burning your points and paying more for a bull tag. You’ll see. Post a hunt report when you get back. Elk hunting is one of the toughest things to get consistent at.