Start to Finish (Informational request)

Poser

WKR
Agree with the others:

Truck camp with spike out option is best for the a person with the inability to scout extensively.

Western Backpacking experience is a perquisite for backpack hunting, but also extensive backpacking experiences general. I’d venture a minimum of 20-30 nights out backpacking, at least one of those hitting a duration of 5+ days, before a person is ready to undertake backpacking + hunting.

Start with just a base camp. Get your feet wet. Loosen up your legs and lungs and learn your way around a little. See where the elk are and let that decide where a spike camp would be worth it. You might find out the base camp is all you need. Definitely don’t set a spike camp blind or based on internet scouting.

Great idea - Be a sad day however if I see a big bull and don't have a bull tag..
My 1st elk hunt was left over cow tag, not CO. Got on heard before legal shooting light. 3 different bulls in the herd, one nice 6x6...killed a nice cow.

Last year same thing same left over tag, got on elk 1st evening let my buddy fill his cow tag. He had never killed an elk.. I didn't get a shot..Hunted 4 more days...saw only bulls, watched a nice bull work a rub for 45 min at 180 yds. Then I went home and had tag soup. JUST GO! It's gonna take you few trips to figure it out no sense in having an expensive tag soup.

#1 Depends on the tag and the unit. Some units you can't get 2 miles from a road no sense packing in. If there are wilderness areas in your unit ypu wanna check out probably gonna have to pack in.

#2 and #4 Both...there are draws where points don't matter, draw success rates may be low no reason you can put in for a draw and build points. Gotta do your application homework.

#3 You can watch all the videos and do all the research you can. But if your not in shape to get up the mountain it will not matter. Not matter what state you draw you gonna have to work hard to fill you tag.

Some folks like to do a mule deer or antelope hunt before they go after elk...get your feet wet and learn a little. Something to think about.

I was exactly where you are 3 years ago.. Took me 3 years to finally pull a LE Bull tag, used no PP. I pretty confident I can find elk and after 2 years of hunting them and after working out 5 days a week for the last 2 years I am confident I can get it off the mountain once I tip it over.

Just get a tag and Go! Your 1st time your expectations should be a great experience not filling a tag. It is you vacation after all.

Take your time and do a load of research. Get very familiar with your gear. Don’t let the hunt be the first time you set up your camp or carry a pack.

Maybe try deer over elk. Elk aren't the easiest animals to hunt and it will give you a better idea of what your in for.

As for states I'd look all over. I live in Colorado and always amazed why people come here first. Are mountains are taller alot are steeper and they are more crowded. As for backpacking if you do it for fun and have all the gear and are used to it go for it. Most guys don't and I'd recommend a truck camp. Sleep is everything. The better you sleep the harder you can hunt.

Don't be a Google earth hero. So many guys come out west and think they are just gonna fly up and over ridges to this back bowl no one has ever gone too...it ain't that easy. Steep and deep isn't doable for alot of guys. And frankly isn't enjoyable unless your tuned for that kinda work. Being from OH keep in mind you can train alot. But you really can't train for elevation...so if you pick a unit or an area you wanna hunt keep that in mind. Lots of first time deer and elk hunters fill up the urgent cares and hospitals in the mtns here due to elevation sickness/dehydration.

Last bit is to keep a positive mind. Set out that your first hunt is to learn not punch a tag. If you go in with the right mind set it will be a more enjoyable experience.