Starter Bow for Teen ?

5shot

Lil-Rokslider
Christmas is around the corner, and my 16yo Daughter pipes up and says she would like a bow. She is taking an archery class at the local Community College and really likes it. She shoots a Genesis bow from the school, but I don't know what model or draw weight/length.

Hopped on ebay, amazon and google, but not really sure what is a good route to go. I'm a rifle guy and never looked into archery as I didn't need another hobby to empty my wallet.

Looking for one of the adjustable models, as she may still grow a bit, and I don't want to spoil the surprise anyway. I've seen the older Gen-x XLR8, Mission Riot, PSE Uprising, Bear Vast...

Would like to keep it around $250 with sight, arrow rest and quiver. Some of them come with arrows, but that would be a bonus.

Last edited:
SB-1 gets my vote. Buy it at a shop that can set it up and work with her on form.

Really great bows IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Osubuck

FNG
My son has a Hoyt Ignite blackout edition with 3pin sight, quiver, wisker biscuit and Limbsaver stabilizer. Huge range of adjustments. He is 18 years old now and done growing so wanting to buy a new bow. $250 plus shipping. PM me if interested

cjdewese

WKR
Another vote for the Diamond Edge SB-1. I actually bought it for myself as my 1st bow since I didn't want to spend a ton to get started with thinking I would give it to my son once I upgraded to a better bow for myself. Been pretty happy with it so far as I am learning myself. Right now my form is more the issue than the bow.

OP

5shot

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. The local shop has them, so I am off to take a look at one for her.

Zac

WKR
Man if she's not going to kill anything I would set her up with an Olympic style recurve with a clicker, bars and sight. She will never outgrow that, and upgrades will be easy to add in the future. She will learn more about archery with that setup than she ever would with a compound and an index release.