Starter equipment list for a new bow hunter

OP
M
Getting a freezer tonight! 60” x 28” x 29”, $180 on Craigslist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maki35

WKR
You said you're new to hunting. Purchased a bow in Mar. and like to go hunting...

Did you take the CT hunter safety course?
Did your get a hunting license? (there are different license/stamps for different hunts..)
What is the draw weight on your bow? compound or recurve?
Have you purchased broadheads for hunting? Don't hunt with target arrows.
To start hunting you need: a good hunting knife, Rope to pull the deer out, backpack to carry your things and a good pair of hunting boots.
Depending on your budget and preference, there is a lot to choose from when it comes to hunting cloths.
There's a lot to learn as a first time hunter. You can get turned around/ lost in the woods real quick. Know your bearings. Don't be surprise if you loose cellphone service in the woods.

Drenalin

WKR
Clothing: I'm whitetail hunting in a pair of synthetic base layers I've had for 10 years, a cheap fleece pullover, Wrangler pants, a Carhartt puffy, and either Carhartt rain jacket or softshell, depending. All solid colors. I'm not saying camo can't be helpful in some situations, but it's not required. High end clothing is great and I have some of that too, but there's something to be said for getting cheap stuff that will accomplish the purpose and that you won't be depressed about destroying. I do have great boots, and highly recommend merino socks.

Ground Blind/Treestand: I've used and been successful out of a ground blind, but always when that blind was placed weeks ahead of time. Deer don't react to a weird box just showing up in the woods very well, in my experience. The only time I use one is if I'm on private and can leave it out from before the season through the end of season. Treestands are great, but not at all required. I sold all of mine this offseason and am hunting completely from the ground (not in a blind). I can use natural vegetation, blowdowns, and terrain features for concealment and I feel way more mobile without all that stuff strapped to my back. So far this season, I've had eight deer (bucks and does) in bow range with clear shot opportunities in four days of hunting. I'm not saying a stand isn't beneficial, but it's far from necessary.

Rangefinder: Nice to have, but you can hunt without one. I used to sight my bow in by counting paces, and would pace off distances to trees, bushes, etc. from my stand (and maybe mark those with a small piece of flagging tape) so I didn't have to worry with a rangefinder. I do use a rangefinder now, and especially if you're going to hunt out of a stand, get one that compensates for angles. But sometimes I wonder if I wouldn't be better off going back to how I used to do it, instead of farting around with a rangefinder. I don't shoot whitetails past 25 yards, and frankly most modern equipment will put you in the lungs from 15-25. I'm not advocating irresponsible shots, but practice practice practice and you'll learn to estimate ranges and know what your arrow are going to do at whitetail hunting ranges.

Extraction: Any sharp three inch blade will field dress a deer. If I'm dragging deer, I want a 3/8 rope that fills up my hand little bit and is easy to grip. If you're going to quarter or debone in the field, you'll need to rethink this section, but I imagine you're going to be dragging your deer.

Guess what I'm getting at is you can deer hunt without a garage full of expensive stuff, and you should. I'm a gear junky and have a ton of crap, but equipment is not a barrier to entry for whitetail hunting. Get out there, get some experience, figure out your own style, and kill some deer. That will get you further than any gear you can buy or imagine.

P.S. Get something - a puffer, milkweed or a synthetic alternative - so you can watch wind direction. Learn how wind and thermals work and always pay attention to them. Wish I knew that back when I started instead of blowing money on Scentlok suits and buckets of scent control products that didn't accomplish anything but sucking up time.

OP
M
You said you're new to hunting. Purchased a bow in Mar. and like to go hunting...

Did you take the CT hunter safety course?
Did your get a hunting license? (there are different license/stamps for different hunts..)
What is the draw weight on your bow? compound or recurve?
Have you purchased broadheads for hunting? Don't hunt with target arrows.
To start hunting you need: a good hunting knife, Rope to pull the deer out, backpack to carry your things and a good pair of hunting boots.
There's a lot to learn as a first time hunter. You can get turned around/ lost in the woods real quick. Know your bearings. Don't be surprise if you loose cellphone service in the woods.
There's a lot to choose from with hunting cloths. depends on your budget and preference.

I have completed all of the requirements in CT for archery hunting and all I need to do now is jump online and actually purchase and print the license.

My current draw weight is around 55-60lbs (compound, Bear Paradox HC) and I have not purchased broad heads yet (still debating/researching fixed vs mechanical). I shoot multiple times per week and have even taken a lesson at my local shop. Here’s a look at a recent 60 yard group. I wish I could say that every group looks like this at 60, but the reality is that this is a personal best. Hence the lessons.
03264449c258e199ef1559c6700dc1c0.jpg

Before anyone asks, no, I have no intention of shooting a deer at 60 yards, but if I can hit confidently at that range, it makes anything inside of 30 yards feel easy. In my state the average archery kill happens at 8 yards (according to the guy at the hunters safety class).

I have a knife that may work, but I think I’m going to get one of those knives with the replaceable blades just because they are stupid sharp and easy to use. I used on one a pig hunt in TX back in January and I was very impressed.

I will go out and find some rope and a good sled for dragging the deer out of the woods, and I may see if one of my friends that hunts will take me under his wing and teach me the basics.

Thanks for the feedback!

WCB

WKR
basics....Bow, Arrows, Broadheads, release, range finder, knife, something to hang you bow from, and flashlight/headlamp

After that. A stand and some way to get up in the tree (sticks, screw ins, strap on steps). A small hunting pack for snack and liquids. Pick up a grunt tube and a pair of antlers for rattling.

Other than that do not fall for all the gimmicky junk out there.

Clothing really depends on weather etc. I have killed a bunch of deer in carhart pants and hoody and baseball cap in earth tones.

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
To add to the information you already have received, I would recommend a small broadhead target like a rinehart rtf “not sure that’s the name but it is a ball that can be shot with Broadheads” and shoot from that tree stand and practice that way too. It is different and educational. And most of all everyone makes mistakes in the field just learn from them and you will have success. Good luck

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
This is a great question! I wish I was a part of a forum 3 years ago when I started hunting. I had no mentor, no friends that hunted, and had to figure it out on my own. As numerous others have said everyone's situation is different (budget, season, weapon, location, experience, etc..). That being said I'll still share my gear list with you since that's your actual question. I'll also add my $0.02 for specific items.

My list is for crossbow, whitetail, during the current early season (60-75 degrees F) in Maryland. This is also based on hunting private land where I walk a very short distance from truck parking to a ladder stand that I've already set up. I only take what is needed and leave everything else in the truck. If I am forunate enough to get a deer I walk a short distance back to the truck and grab my "tracking" bag.

Special note on clothing: My first year hunting I went with Walmart Realtree for everything to keep it cheap. It worked well until it got really cold, or really wet. Also I had several deer look at me in the stand and not bust me. You don't need to spend a lot on camo to be 'hidden' from deer. But after my first year I started investing in clothing from Kuiu. I needed something that was better suited for being active, layering well, and keeping me warm. I do public land as well so the 100% cotton from Walmart wasn't working well with strenuous hiking. Some other big names are First Lite and Sitka. O and fun fact the Guide Pro Pants from Eddie Bauer are essentially the same thing as a lot of the lighter weight "hunting pants" from the name brands, but at a fraction of the cost. When it gets colder I have "long underwear" base layers I put on. I also have an insulated jacket and insulated bibs made by RedHead, available at BassPro. They're not as "cool" as the cold weather gear from Sitka or First Lite but they keep me warm.

Clothing (top to bottom)

During Hunt (on my person)
  • Phone/keys/wallet
  • Safety harness (I use the one that came with the ladder stand)
  • Binoculars (I have these Vortex's in 10x42. They are amazing. Great in low light, really helpful. I've spotted countless deer while glassing in the woods that I never would have seen with my naked eye.)
  • Rangefinder (I did a lot of research before buying this rangefinder. It only goes to 450 yards but I don't need more than that. It's waterproof, does angle compensation, and hasn't failed me yet.)
  • Cocking cord
  • Flashlight (+ extra batteries)
  • Headlamp (+ extra batteries)
  • Backpack (this fits the bladder as well as my other gear)
  • 100oz hydration pack

Tracking/Gutting Bag (leave in truck)
  • Orange flag (to help with bloodtrailing)
  • Leatherman (not necessary but has been helpful)
  • Sharpie (to fill out tag)
  • Zip tie (to attach tag)
  • Cardboard piece (Maryland allows DIY tags)
  • Havalon Piranta (used for field dressing - with practice you can actually process an entire deer with just this knife, and only one blade)
  • Rubber gloves
  • Butt Out Tool (I bought this at the end of last season but haven't had the opportunity to use it yet. It's not "needed", I've always just used a knife, but it's supposed to make things easier.)
  • Ziplocs (1 to take the tenderloins home, 1 to hold any gear that needs to be washed)
  • Paracord (nice to have)
  • Drag rope (I just have a roughly 15 foot long scrap piece of rock climbing rope)

If doing public land instead of private I bring the "tracking bag's" gear with me so everything is on my person. I also add:

I also keep a target in the truck since there is no way to de-cock my crossbow. It's not a bad idea to keep a target in the truck even with a bow, incase the sight gets bumped and you need to verify/re-sight.

Another random note: I had read previous comments talking about broadheads. Personally I go with fixed blades. Mechanicals can fail, fixed can't. I use Muzzy Trocars and they have never failed me. Every deer I've shot with them, I've killed.

Zoa

FNG
The Walmart Halo 450 is cheap, and dim, but it's really all the rangefinder you need for bowhunting.

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
The Walmart Halo 450 is cheap, and dim, but it's really all the rangefinder you need for bowhunting.
I agree on the dim part. When hunting at first light or last light in the woods, after ranging I need to move the viewfinder up to a break in the trees to look at a brighter background so I can read the number.

Other than that, it's been great. You won't find a better rangefinder for the cost. I didn't realize walmart sold it. I had gotten mine on Amazon.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Zoa

FNG
I agree on the dim part. When hunting at first light or last light in the woods, after ranging I need to move the viewfinder up to a break in the trees to look at a brighter background so I can read the number.

Other than that, it's been great. You won't find a better rangefinder for the cost. I didn't realize walmart sold it. I had gotten mine on Amazon.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Yup, I always range my spots ahead of time (with a headlamp in the morning).

OP
M
Thanks for the Range Finder recommendations, I will definitely look around at some of those options. I had done some research a while ago and kept finding recommendations for the Vortex Ranger or the Leupold RX-1600, which are obviously kind of expensive. I'd love to find a quality option for less money.

Here's a question, do you find that you have issues with cheaper range finders on misty, foggy mornings? I saw a video of the Total Archery Challenge where a guy couldn't get a range on a target with his budget RF first thing in the morning, while another guy in the same group had no problem with his higher end unit. Not sure if that was an isolated incident, or if there is something there.

wayoh22

WKR
Thanks for the Range Finder recommendations, I will definitely look around at some of those options. I had done some research a while ago and kept finding recommendations for the Vortex Ranger or the Leupold RX-1600, which are obviously kind of expensive. I'd love to find a quality option for less money.

Here's a question, do you find that you have issues with cheaper range finders on misty, foggy mornings? I saw a video of the Total Archery Challenge where a guy couldn't get a range on a target with his budget RF first thing in the morning, while another guy in the same group had no problem with his higher end unit. Not sure if that was an isolated incident, or if there is something there.
I've had some mornings where my old Nikon RF couldn't range accurately in a slight fog. Upgraded to Leupold this summer and so far worth every penny. I think you have to understand you get what you pay for. Only you'll be able to judge if the extra cost is worth being able to range in unsuitable conditions. It can be pretty anecdotal obviously. If you're trying to find quality gear for less money you'll have to skim the classifieds and just wait it out. No guarantee there.

All in all. Buy once, cry once.

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
I had done some research a while ago and kept finding recommendations for the Vortex Ranger
My friend has the Vortex. He's never had any issues with it. I borrowed it and used it myself before I purchased my first rangefinder and I enjoyed using it.

Here's a question, do you find that you have issues with cheaper range finders on misty, foggy mornings?
Nope. I've never had an issue with my Halo XL450. If the fog is dense enough it doesn't matter how good your rangefinder is, it won't work.

You can't go wrong with the Vortex Ranger. Vortex makes good stuff and they have a great warranty. I have some of their products and like them all. But at the same time why spend $300 when you can spend $100 for something that will work just as well? You can put that extra $200 towards other gear. At the end of the day you're shooting a lasar and need to get a reading back. Both will do it. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention again that the Halo has angle compensation as well.

The only reason IMO not to get the Halo is if you need to range past 450 yards, which I personally never will.

Savage99

WKR
As others have said, figure out where first, then get a tree stand or ground blind. Where I first started there were many tall straight southern pines on public land with limited access. I chose a climber. Beyond that, having a plan for after the harvest is a good idea, but I would just go get after it. Wear a synthetic base layer and what you have now to stay warm. Taking these guys’ advice and then getting time in the woods is the key.

vanish

WKR
You don't need a rangefinder or store bought blind or stand. Find a spot, build a blind from deadfall, and pace off the distance. It isn't optimal but it works fine.

Same with camo. Often times my only camo is a sweatshirt top layer.

The most important thing is getting out there. Learn what YOU need or want. Dont let gear stop you.

ncstewart

WKR
Well I hope you hunting man cause you don’t need anything. Other than a bow and killing sticks of coarse. For real I hunt public for whitetails and solid cloths are fine. A knife that cuts. Headlamp. Get a stand if ya can. If no stand then just hunt off the ground. As you spend time in woods you will figure out what you really need. Main thing is just go hunt.

ncstewart

WKR
f73be82fbc9c352494dcea0ccd0625d6.jpg

I only wear camo shirt. Hat is my woo pig everyday. If a cat at 12 yards don’t care. Promise deer don’t.

I tested the vortex ranger and it has a red display that changes the game. Not sure if it’s in your price point but it’s incredible