Starter pack for beginner?

I ran a badlands 2200 for years. I packed elk out with it. You can 100% carry a boned out deer with a 2200. Heavy loads aren't very enjoyable with it, but if you've never wore a better pack under weight you won't know the difference. I still don't hesitate to recommend it as a solid starter pack. They hold value decently too. One that smells like bear and has blood stains is still worth 50% of your money. And badlands will send your replacement parts for free.

Not sure the size of badlands you got, but it's rough to actually live out of any 2200 size pack. Most of your camp will end up outside your pack if you're backpacking.

If you need to eventually pack out big animals just get a frame on Amazon.
I've carried a lot of heavy shit on the cheap alpz commander frame. First load out with the 2200 then go back with the frame.

I agree with boots. Get comfortable boots. Doesn't matter what pack you have on it your feet are screwed up.

Optics wise depending on country you're hunting you'll be fine with 10x42s 90% of the time.
This might anger some glass junkies, but unless you have the money to splurge you're fine with entry level glass to start. Get a pair of good all around glass. Run them until you know 100% you live for this shit. Don't buy a bunch of different binos. Just one pair of 300+ 10x42s will be fine for you. Don't buy one upgrade at a time after that. If you do eventually upgrade that next level has to be your final one. You buy some Swarovski and cry once.

Edit: 10x42 on a tripod is deadly.

Last edited:
OP
J
@kickemall Awesome thanks, I forgot Kuiu is from Dixon. I will definitely stop by.

@Stubborn_bowhunter thanks a bunch. Glad to hear it will work. I think it is a fair bit larger than 2200. I was able to pack up everything I need minus water. I already purchased the binos I think the 10-42 is perfect for my eyes. I got a pretty good deal on demo Zeiss Conquest 10-42. I think they will serve me very well. I do have a nice carbon fiber Tripod, it was purchased with back country photography in mind.

Tsarbomba

Lil-Rokslider
buy your 2nd pack first. Go a bit bigger then you might think you need. Most compress down pretty good. Can’t go wrong in that 5-6k cui range with any of the top 6-7 brands. Just writing from experience.

MichaelO

Lil-Rokslider
Dirt cheap? An army surplus Mruck will carry weight. I still use one to train with and since covid hit I been throwing over 130 pounds in it to do squats and lunges with since gyms been closed.

it’s not pretty anc it’s not that comfy but it will do the job.

txjustin

Lil-Rokslider
You can get an MR on Camofire right now for $250 shipped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk