Starter sewing machine - recommendations needed

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
It will work with cordura for sure, until you need to punch through 4 layers and webbing or more which isn't often and it still might do fine. Silnylon in particular is very slick and difficult to work with though you should be able to with that machine it's not going to be easy, cuben is similar but not quite as slick and works totally different so you will probably be okay getting it to feed.

Live2hunt custom shelters

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
I’d say go for it, but only if you get that cool Love craft thing on it ;). I know for my machines, the 1.1 silpoly was somewhat difficult. That being said, I think it was about the learning curve for me. As in, how does it best feed going through it. It was interesting as I went along because I ended up feeding it through the machine in different ways that ended with more of a natural/easy feel. The machines were more than capable of sewing it fine, I just had to figure out for myself how to best help the machine with my hands. I generally ended up with one hand behind the presser foot and one in front, holding the material and giving the feed dogs an “assist”. In the end, it worked out just fine and the projects have held up to use so far.

Jeremy

Texarican

FNG
I just got loan of my Memaw’s machine. Can’t wait to see what this will do.
d814ee19edd7b956d367dc0dde7930a7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
BrushyHillGuide
I just got loan of my Memaw’s machine. Can’t wait to see what this will do.
d814ee19edd7b956d367dc0dde7930a7.jpg

Nice! Congrats Chris!

My wife inherited her Mamaw’s machine but, when it got to us, it wouldn’t work. She was kinda bummed. Sooooo....with her birthday about 10 days away I’m going to buy “her” a sewing machine for her B-day! lol.

Texarican

FNG
Nice! Congrats Chris!

My wife inherited her Mamaw’s machine but, when it got to us, it wouldn’t work. She was kinda bummed. Sooooo....with her birthday about 10 days away I’m going to buy “her” a sewing machine for her B-day! lol.

Thanks. My 80 year old Mom does not sew any more but she has not given up. Loaned me the machine to clean it for her and use for my immediate projects

Last edited: