Starting application/points process for Bighorn

I’d like to hunt bighorns at some point in my life, I don’t care if they are deserts or rockies. I realize this is likely to be a 20 year plus process, so I need to get started now. With the draw odds and being a non-resident, I’m looking at a budget of $200-$300 each year applying, and starting to research particular states and areas. I’m not counting the $ in states that require you to purchase the tag at the draw, as it is refunded. Here’s what I’ve found so far:

Colorado is the cheapest at $3 each, it’s worth doing that and building preference points. I have an elk tag there this year so points are free, otherwise it’s $40 each.

Nevada would appear to be next if my research is right, at a $10 application fee and $3.50 non-resident fee. I didn’t see anything about needing to buy a hunting license to apply there.

Montana (with an extra preference point) and Utah each come in at $95, plus an extra $10 for Utah for the second species.

New Mexico appears to charge $65 for the hunting license, plus $3,173 tag fee when you apply. $3,160 is refunded if you’re not successful.

Arizona requires a $160 non-resident license, plus a $15 application fee. This takes things out of my annual application budget if the above are all correct, I need to research the odds and areas on AZ to see if it’s worth it. I will apply for any years that I buy a hunting license for another species there regardless.

Wyoming is out as they require an outfitter for non-residents.

Idaho is also likely out as I plan to start applying for mountain goat tags there, and they only allow one sheep/goat/moose application per year. The exception would be if goats are easy to draw and I start applying for sheep afterwards.

Is there anything I’m missing right off the bat that I should apply for instead or any of these that aren’t worth it? The idea is to identify the states that I’ll spend time researching hunt areas for and start applying when things open up in the spring.

I appreciate any advice from those who have experience with this.

Last edited:

Takem

WKR
Nevada requires you to purchase a license (around $150) if you want to accumulate points. Unless sheep are different than deer, elk and antelope.

I would look at all of the trends in sheep tags as a non-resident before you start investing. If you start putting in $300 a year for the next 20 years you'll be at $6,000. I don't follow sheep draws too closely but there is a good chance your odds of drawing in 20 years won't be significantly better than they are now. There's guys on here that know a lot more than I do about it.

Nevada does require a hunting license each year.
Wyoming doesn’t require a guide, there’s plenty of places in Wyoming you can sheep hunt without being guided.
From what I gather there will be a point fee for Colorado next year... Price yet unknown but it definitely needs to happen.
Utah doesn’t have many tags but there is the random draw chance you may pull one there with less than 10 points... about the same odds as the powerball but hey there’s a chance.
Arizona has some units with a lot of tags, small sheep but it’s a sheep tag. But even then odds aren’t any better with 7 tags in a unit.
Montana is and will always be worth the applying cost because of quality of sheep.
New Mexico and Idaho should be applied to for anyone serious about a sheep hunt as it’s the only places everyone’s on the same playing field... you’re looking at more so 30 years than 20 tbh... especially if starting now. Colorado maybe just jumped to 40 years after this years draw lol....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
G
Thanks for the replies, I had figured that was likely the case for Nevada but didn’t see it on their application page. I do plan to research some more before I start applying, but the draw odds will likely be different in 20 years anyways. If we’re lucky there will be more sheep by then, but it could just as easily go the other way.

Montana would be my top choice but it seems that unless you apply to as many states as you can afford, you’ll probably never go. On the other hand, I’m not willing to spend $1,000/yr applying for 30 years. Unfortunately, guided hunts in Canada and Mexico seem to run $30-40k and up. Even if I saved $1,000/yr for the 30 years I’m not willing to pay that for a hunt.

I also realize that even 20 preference points might not make me significantly more likely to draw, but hopefully applying to 5 states for 20 years even at 0.1% odds will end up in my favor eventually.

cbeard64

WKR
You are in a tough situation. All odds are long, and most states are expensive to apply in. I have been in the sheep app game in 8-9 states for 18 years now. Out of pocket costs are about $1800 annually.

You are facing a long, uphill battle in the points game at this point.

If I were just starting out with your stated budget, I would apply in Wyoming, Idaho, and New Mexico - in that order.

Why those? Each are either all random draw or have a significant random draw component.
WY actually probably has the best random draw odds in the county for Areas 1-5.

Also, don’t forget all the raffle tag opportunities out there. Most are long odds, but they are cheap and you are “in the game” with better odds than many states’ more expensive draw tag options.

WRO

WKR
Oregon is completely random on sheep and goats as well. Odds also suck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SkinnyPete

Lil-Rokslider
If you want to hunt sheep....
You could go for a ewe tag in Montana, even guided they were $2500 or so from Atchison(sp?)... Colorado does ewe hunts too.. I finally figured out that if I was going to kill a sheep in my life, it would probably be one without balls.. lol so I've started saving up for Montana ewe.
Now if you want to go after rams, I think your plan is dialed.
I live in Oregon now and sheep is a straight lottery and usually less than 1% odds... so, it sucks... I think non resident odds are like 0.01%.... so, probably pass on Or....

California has sheep too, but if you dont have max points already, the idea is moot.

Colorado, Idaho, Mt. And Wyo and the heat. Even if you DO need a guide in Wyoming(?), paying 2500-5k for a guide service is money well spent for essentially a 1x lifetime tag IMO.
Good luck man!!!!

Kodiak

FNG
If I were just starting out with your stated budget, I would apply in Wyoming, Idaho, and New Mexico - in that order.

Why those? Each are either all random draw or have a significant random draw component.
WY actually probably has the best random draw odds in the county for Areas 1-5.

I would say becarefull with units 1-5 in WY if you are looking to go unguided. WY requires a guide for non resident in wilderness areas. Much of the sheep country in 1-5 is wilderness. There are opportunities to shoot rams right off of the road and out side of the wilderness area in units 2,3 and 5 late in the season but that isn’t really my idea of a sheep hunt. With that said. They are about the best odds to draw a tag in the random draw. I actually pulled a unit 3 tag this year with 4 point so it can happen.

OP
G
Thanks for all the feedback, I’ve got some research to do before the spring. Like I said, I don’t expect to draw one any time soon, but it would be a bummer to apply until you’re too old to hack it physically and never draw.

I suppose a guide isn’t a deal breaker in the grand scheme of things. It’s not just about the money, I really enjoy hunting with close friends or by myself. I’d rather make several trips and end up successful on my own eventually, but that’s not really an option with a sheep tag. Although from what I’ve seen, getting the tag seems to be harder than getting the sheep.