Starting First Lite Kit

cjdubya

FNG
Hi all.

Decided to pull the trigger on some FL gear. Been in UA stuff I've had for years before this. Mainly will be hunting whitetails during rifle season in Pennsylvania (early December) but strongly considering getting into archery next year as well. Usually hunt from a stand at daylight/dusk but on the move quite a bit during the day. Temps usually mid 20s-mid 30s with occasional days in the extremes on both ends. Also for what its worth - will probably use for winter fly fishing trips when conditions allow.

I just ordered the Kiln crew and Klamath hoody. Debating on the Catalyst jacket vs. the Uncompahgre Puffy as the outer layer. I'm pretty sure I'm going with the Catalyst pants (and insulate under as needed) so was originally leaning that way with the jacket at first. But after some reading I'm not so sure the puffy may be the better option for extra warmth/added wind cutting for the stand sits.

Any input from anyone with this setup or something similar I'd appreciate it! Cheers!

Start with the FL merino base layers.

Mid-layers, Klymath hoodie is a great choice.

If your doing gun season in PA, outer layer is orange I assume and you got that covered.

If Bow Hunting in those temps, the Woodbury is an awesome outer layer jacket, but I believe has been replaced with a newer named model? If you get cold easily in the stand, consider the Sanctuary.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

gfreidy

WKR
The Uncompaghre is a great piece to pack for the times you need more insulation for a stand/glassing session, but will overheat on the hike in/out. Seems to be more geared to western style hunting but is a bomber piece of insulation that can be packed down small. I love mine!

tmidthun

FNG
The Solitude Jacket would be a great option for 20 degree weather with the Kiln and Klamath you already have. I'm running a similar setup and love it so far. I usually pack in the jacket to keep from sweating, but it does have some side zippers you can use to dump heat. Also paired with the Solitude bib you should be set for years to come.

Ace12

Lil-Rokslider
For stand sits catalyst will not keep you warm unless it’s 50 or above. Love my uncompahgre though. Love the fuse as well

Jdhunttrapfish

Lil-Rokslider
Solitude or Sanctuary is what you need in those temps depending on how cold you get, catalyst is for milder temps

Michael54

WKR
Most of pa bow season is extremely mild and im in a t shirt with a hoodie on. Rifle season is a different story lol.

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider
Buy the uncompahgre and you will never regret it. It can go in pretty much any kit. It layers really well. It can be an outer or midlayer.

BigDork

FNG
Im in NE ohio. Love my unpronounceable, and most of my FL gear but, I will tell you this, you're definitely going to waNt some type of true windstopping outer layer. FL doesnt make it. Those 20mph winds in 20 degree weather can shut it down quick

I live in PA as well and if my only hunting was from a treestand during rifle I wouldn’t spend the money on a bunch of high end technical gear.

I do love merino base layers but then any old fleece mid layer will do then pick your insulation. I have a jacket and bib set I got from Gander years and years ago that I have never been cold in.

It is actually extremely similar to the Sitka incinerator in bulk but just a bit quieter and still windproof and waterproof.

I run FL during archery season and their gear is great for me because I cover a lot of ground with my treestand on my back and I need stuff that performs well. I pack that stuff away fine rifle season though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk