Starting in with .223

woods89

WKR
As a result of a work trade I will soon be the owner of a CZ 527 American in .223. I currently reload for my 6.5 Creedmoor and have a few questions about getting started loading for this rifle. I try to be quite precise with my 6.5, and this rifle will be more of a quantity focus, although I don't intend to be careless.
This barrel is a 1-9 twist. Bullet recommendations? Use will be mostly target and possibly some varmint hunting. I was thinking of trying the 73 gr ELD-M and the 69 gr TMK. I know the 77 gr TMK is popular but maybe my twist rate is too slow?
I have a Redding Type S sizer and a Forster Ultra Micrometer seater for my 6.5. I would like to not spend quite that much on dies, but will if I need to. If its not an issue I would probably just pick up some standard RCBS dies. Any special considerations for the 70+ grain bullets?
With my 6.5 I always trickle up on a beam scale to get my powder charges perfect. Since this is mostly going to be a trainer I would like to just drop charges in my Lee powder measure and check every so often. I will likely be shooting Varget as I have a bunch of it. Does this work acceptably well?
Thanks in advance!

ckleeves

WKR
When it comes to .223 and .22-250 I like the RCBS comp or match master seater. They are way easier to use with little bullets. I’m not a huge RCBS fan but they got it right with those and small bullets.

Varget and 69 tmk’s work great but it gets pretty crunchy if your trying to get max velocity out of it.

Throwing charges works fine, just make sure your not .2 grains from max in case you get a overthrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Benchmark meters really nice as well as H335 (like 16bore said). Benchmark runs good in my Dillon.
Plus...its way easier to find than varget!
If you run your 223 with 69s on the lower velocity node you have lots of room for a couple tenths up and down.
Seems like that lower node is really forgiving in the 223s ive ran.

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
Benchmark meters really nice as well as H335 (like 16bore said). Benchmark runs good in my Dillon.
Plus...its way easier to find than varget!
If you run your 223 with 69s on the lower velocity node you have lots of room for a couple tenths up and down.
Seems like that lower node is really forgiving in the 223s ive ran.

Well, I actually have 9 lbs of Varget...... :)

Thanks to all. Good info!

16Bore

WKR
How’s that powder measure at cutting kernals? RCBS is pretty good.

shmtastic

FNG
If you're used to trickling, just throw a tenth grain light or so and dribble a few more kernels in for accuracy. For ARs I choose throwable powders when possible, but I have one that prefers RL15. What I do is get what I think is exactly 24.5gr, and then I will throw 10 times into the same pan, and weigh all ten. If I'm 244.7-245.5gr, I know it will be fine for consistency and I check every ten to fifteen.

Biggest thing I've learned is to try and keep the same amount of powder in the hopper so the down force from the weight of the powder is relatively the same. Sometimes after you add powder it will compress a bit so I'll put 2-3 throws back into the hopper then throw normal. You don't have to keep it exactly the same, I usually add after I've dropped a few inches.

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
Look in the 69 grain and less bullet weights. The 77 TMKs need 1-8” or faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FLS

WKR
I shoot TAC under 69:and 77 grain SMKs and TMKs
24.5 gr of TAC gives me 2750 out of an 18” 1-8 gas gun
The same charge gives me 2800 with a 69 grain bullet.

wyosam

WKR
I get great performance from the 73gr ELDm on RL15 in my 1:9 bolt gun. If I really lean on the 77 TMK I can get it to work ok (at 6400 ft), but I don’t like to load right at the ragged edge of pressure. The 73s at ~2885 shoot great to 600 (max at my local range). Loading for 223 is great- cheap to experiment, and long barrel life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I tried Hornady 75 gr AMAX bullets in my 1 in 9 twist 22" barreled Kimber Montana. Oval holes in the paper and 3" groups. Bought a box of Berger 70 gr VLDs and get 1/2" groups. I use CCI BR4s and a medium load of Varget with the Bergers.

I recently came by 3 #s of TAC. Its been working good in in .17 FB and .204 Ruger. Just loaded up some .223 with 55 gr Barnes TTSX I had sitting around. Haven't checked them for accuracy. TAC meters so well that I will switch from Varget in .223 if my rifle likes it with 55 and 70 gr bullets.

73 gr ELD-Ms shoot ok for me. But the much older school 77 gr SMK paired with a common load of Varget puts them on a ragged hole out of my 1:8 twist. The first 8 shots from a sporter weight Tikka totaled 0.9” with zero work up and under lousy range conditions. After that I put the pointy tipped bullets back on the shelf.

b6da910e5898dfe01d9668553eefa3ac.jpg

Reactions: FLS
OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
Well, the rifle is in hand. I wound up spending some money and bought a Forster full length sizing die and a Forster Ultra Micrometer seating die. I am used to the Ultra Micro with my 6.5 Creedmoor and am a huge fan of it.

The rifle came with 47 rounds of reloads that are very accurate. Bullets are 73 grain Berger HP target and powder is Reloder 15. I have 2 boxes of the 73 grain Bergers coming and will be working up with Varget since I have quite a bit of it. If for some reason that doesn't provide the results I want I will be going back to R15.

Those 47 rounds are part of a 100 pc lot of Nosler brass that came with the rifle.

I will say, this thing is an absolute blast to shoot........