Starting out - arrow question

Crotalus

Lil-Rokslider
Just starting down the trad road. Samick Sage at 30lbs arrived today along with a dozen cheapo 500 spine arrows with vanes from amazon.

I didn’t really think about it when i ordered them but should I have went with feathers over vanes. I am planning to use the stick on rest for now.

For building form and practicing release are the cheap arrows ok to use? Is the any reason to spend more than $50ish on a dozen feather fletched carbon arrows at this point?

Thanks
Joe

Last edited:

oldgoat

WKR
You'll know when you shoot them, durability is really important for both practice and hunting, but till you know what spine etc you need, expensive arrows aren't optimal! Just save all your old arrows if you keep with the trad game, it's nice to have a wide variety of arrows for testing and tuning new or existing rigs!

Wrench

WKR
500s full length with 200 up front will get you close. Don't sweat the vanes....but keep an eye on the shelf contact it may beat on the bow a bit.....and don't chase your tail on a flawless tear. You can get close to perfect, but don't expect it.

I shoot 500's at 50-55# with 175-200.....so keep those arrows!

Are they the softer/long bohning vanes? I bought a bunch of $5 easton game getters a few years ago to use with my Martin. You'll lose / break a couple as you start so cheaper is better.

OP
Crotalus

Crotalus

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up ordering a dozen cheap feather arrows. Somewhere down the road I’ll pick up good hunting arrows and get everything tuned properly.

i need to learn everything from a proper release to aiming so the cheap arrows should be ok. I see myself doing a lot of blank baling.