Starting out with KUIU

Rathmatik

Lil-Rokslider
I've been looking into trying out KUIU after having been using some Sitka pieces for the last year. Their winter sale started today, so thought now might be the time to try it out.

For now, I'm trying to piece together some items that would work for both Spring Turkey and Early Season Fall. Would the below be a good starting point? I wanted to try out some of the Ultra Merino top pieces, but none of those are on sale unfortunately.
  • KUTANA STRETCH WOVEN PANT
  • KUTANA STORM SHELL JACKET
  • PELOTON 118 LS CREW-T
  • PELOTON 200 ZIP-T HOODIE
  • ULTRA MERINO 145 BALACLAVA

OP
Rathmatik

Rathmatik

Lil-Rokslider
I also see that some of the Peloton 97 items are on sale, perhaps those would be lighter for Spring?

Been mostly Sitka for a number of years, I still prefer Sitka for outerwear, tops, sythetics. Im a powerlifter, and (most) Kuiu tops just arent cut for my body type.

I prefer Kuiu pants by a wide margin. Attack and Kutana...both would be great for spring turkey depending on temps. Attack for cooler weather, kutana for warmer. Sort of backwards of most people, but I actually wear a 38 in attack and 36 in Kutana. Attacks have more room in the legs, Kutana more room in the waist. My legs do fill up the Kutanas more, but after wearing them a while, I kind of prefer not having all kind of extra material on my legs moving through thicker stuff.

Prana Zion, original version, is probably just as good of a spring turkey pant as either though honestly. Just not quite as dutable as the kutana.

And the 120LT merino tops are up there with the SItka Ambient Hoody as my favorite new pieces this year. Just a perfect merino baselayer. Also would be a good piece for spring turkey.

OP
Rathmatik

Rathmatik

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks all for the advice! I went ahead and decided on getting these pieces for now to get a baseline.
  • Kutana Stretch Woven Pant
    Kutana Storm Shell Jacket
    Peloton 97 Fleece Beanie
    Peloton 97 Fleece Neck Gaiter
    Peloton 97 Fleece Zip-T
    Peloton 118 Ls Crew-T
    Peloton 200 Zip-T Hoodie
    Icon Cap

OP
Rathmatik

Rathmatik

Lil-Rokslider
Been mostly Sitka for a number of years, I still prefer Sitka for outerwear, tops, sythetics. Im a powerlifter, and (most) Kuiu tops just arent cut for my body type.

I prefer Kuiu pants by a wide margin. Attack and Kutana...both would be great for spring turkey depending on temps. Attack for cooler weather, kutana for warmer. Sort of backwards of most people, but I actually wear a 38 in attack and 36 in Kutana. Attacks have more room in the legs, Kutana more room in the waist. My legs do fill up the Kutanas more, but after wearing them a while, I kind of prefer not having all kind of extra material on my legs moving through thicker stuff.

Prana Zion, original version, is probably just as good of a spring turkey pant as either though honestly. Just not quite as dutable as the kutana.

And the 120LT merino tops are up there with the SItka Ambient Hoody as my favorite new pieces this year. Just a perfect merino baselayer. Also would be a good piece for spring turkey.
Good to know, I'll just have to see how the Kutana fits me and go from there. Thanks!

SMOKYMTN

WKR
I also see that some of the Peloton 97 items are on sale, perhaps those would be lighter for Spring?
The 97s are the best KUIU pieces out there in my opinion. I mainly run Sitka and SG but the Peloton 97 is one of my favorite pieces of gear. It's killer not just for warmer seasons but as extra insulation in the colder months. It weighs nothing and takes up no space in my pack. I always have it with me.

Lytro

WKR
The guide jacket and attack pants are fantastic. I do prefer First Lite merino over Kuiu's due to material feel and length though.

If you don't have any Kuiu pieces currently, one thing to definitely consider is the sizing. Shouldn't be much of an issue if you're slim-athletic build, but definitely comb through the reviews and look for other people's reviews similar to your height and weight.

cams

FNG
whatever you buy from Kuiu go thru Activejunky for 4% cashback. If you don’t get the cashback use their “contact us” tab and submit a cash back inquiry.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another 97 fan. It will get thread pulls easily but I’ve never had developed holes or anything. Extremely lightweight and warm. I wear mine for work, hunting, high altitude hiking. Kuiu pants fit me well, tiburons are probably my favorite and most versatile.

Another 97 fan. It will get thread pulls easily but I’ve never had developed holes or anything. Extremely lightweight and warm. I wear mine for work, hunting, high altitude hiking. Kuiu pants fit me well, tiburons are probably my favorite and most versatile.

I second this. I have had to lift my cats off me so many times because their claws pull up the fabric so easily.