starting research on Dall sheep outfitters

Cspraggins

Lil-Rokslider
Well I guess this is as good of a first post on Rokslide as any!

I am ready to jump head first into the sheep hunting world after chasing whitetail and elk most of my life. Thus far, I have done quite a bit of investigation into outfits in the NWT and the Yukon. I have been leaning toward a couple of NWT outfitters right now (Gana River, Arctic Red and Nahanni Butte), but am concerned we could have year 2 of lockdown up there, and possibly some of the outfitters go under. I don't want to put down a deposit and loose it due to foreign government madness.

Due to all of that, I am starting to look into Alaska as another option. I had marked it off the list due to slightly lower success rates than canada, the additional hunting pressure from locals, and the inability to hunt mountain caribou. The perk is obviously the lower cost and the ability to Harvest a grizzly (cant do that in the NWT).

I have a friend that hunted with Jonah's in the brooks successfully, and have some knowledge of henry tiffany in the brooks as well. But i am leaning towards looking at guides in the Wrangell's. I spoke with Cabot Pitts today about a new concession he assumed from another outfitter than had it for 20 years or so. I cant remember the name of the previous outfitter, but I have met Cabot a few times and have been impressed with him as a person thus far. My question is who else should I be considering in the Wrangell's beside Alaska Wild Wind (Cabot Pitts) and Ultima Thule?

appreciate any insight any of you guys can provide!

All things were not created equally in the Wrangells. If you want an opportunity with the chance of an exceptionally large ram, Ultima Thule is the way to go.

Last edited:

JPhunt

FNG
Went with Mont Mahoney https://www.huntdallsheep.com/ last August. Great hunt, both of us got a good rams were 8.5 & 10 years old. Everything was well planed, guides were excellent. and saw a good number of sheep.

We hunted in the Alaska range, but he does have a unit in the wrangles.

You won't fly with anyone better than Paul Claus at Ultima Thule; he has three concessions in the Wrangells. Henry Tiffany and Thor Stacey both run good operations in the Brooks.

Mont Mahoney's area in the AK Range has been hit hard, he recently put in a proposal to Board of Game to shut down all sheep hunting in that area for two years due to a severely declined sheep population.

Jimbob

WKR
I hate to say it but I think you're wise on holding off a hunt in Canada. Our vaccine rollout is not going so great, we just upped restrictions here in BC, and more restrictions have been put on Canadians travelling. I cannot see how the border will be open for sheep season or even the fall season. I hope it opens but all signs point to the border closed for the rest of the year.

OP
Cspraggins

Cspraggins

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the reply’s so far, they have been very helpful.

trying to understand a bit more about the extent of the wrangell’s, and what makes the south side north conducive to big sheep than the north or east side, along the Yukon border. Is it purely a function of hunting pressure, the quality of browse, or a more temperate climate that results in less stress? Appreciate any insight you guys can provide.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
The genetics of the South Wrangells will always be hard to beat.

Another option for south Wrangells would be Alaska Outfitters Unlimited. That's a great area with opportunity to take multiple species all on one hunt.

For a combo hunt outside of the Wrangells there is Hidden Alaska which is in the Alaska Range.

As mentioned above there's sheep/caribou combo hunts in the Brooks as well.

Thanks for the reply’s so far, they have been very helpful.

trying to understand a bit more about the extent of the wrangell’s, and what makes the south side north conducive to big sheep than the north or east side, along the Yukon border. Is it purely a function of hunting pressure, the quality of browse, or a more temperate climate that results in less stress? Appreciate any insight you guys can provide.
Genetics are the predominant factor influencing the difference between the north and south Wrangells.

Last edited:

Kimbersig

WKR
FYI Ultima Thule has about a 70 person waitlist. As others have said Aaron Bloomquist is great, Jeremy Reusink with Rogue expeditions is great, Wayne Kubat with Alaska Remote Guide Service has a great sole use concession like Ultima
Thule and Aaron Bloomquist has. I went with Wayne. coke Wallace, Jeff Burwell are good. Lots of good outfitters in Alaska. I’d figure out what type of hunt you want and start calling and talking to outfitters and pick the one you like best.

OP
Cspraggins

Cspraggins

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks! So far I have emails/calls into Bloomquist, Ultima Thule and Alaska Wild Wind (they took over Jeff Chadd's Majestic Mountain Concessions in the Wrangells this year). I will dig into Rogue expeditions and Alaska Remote Guide service as well. I appreciate all the information so far!

Winter die off was very bad in a lot of areas in the state this season. Definitely inquire with whoever you contact on how bad their areas were hit. For big rams in over the counter hunts, Ultimate Thule is tough to beat. Claus and Dan Montgomery almost always take top honors with big rams.

JLMUELZ

FNG
Winter die off was very bad in a lot of areas in the state this season. Definitely inquire with whoever you contact on how bad their areas were hit. For big rams in over the counter hunts, Ultimate Thule is tough to beat. Claus and Dan Montgomery almost always take top honors with big rams.
Thanks for the information!

BartG

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have experience with Wrangell Outfitters out of Horsfeld, AK?

Thanks.