Starting to plan for 2021

So this past fall my dad and I were able to go on our first "western" hunt during Nebraska's rifle season. We wound up choosing NE last year because tags were cheap(ish) and we struck out in the SD Pronghorn draw. We had a great time and dad was able to fill his first big game tag on a decent Mulie. At the end of our trip we were both talking about how we are planning on making the trip again next year. That being said both of us are also thinking that we would like to at some point hunt in the mountains. So my question is, with only one season of Mule Deer hunting on the plains under our belts are we crazy for thinking about trying to do a DIY hunt in the mountains? I am leaning towards at least applying in CO and/or WY. My only big hang ups are the higher costs for licenses and our limited experience hunting these animals. What would you do?

So this past fall my dad and I were able to go on our first "western" hunt during Nebraska's rifle season. We wound up choosing NE last year because tags were cheap(ish) and we struck out in the SD Pronghorn draw. We had a great time and dad was able to fill his first big game tag on a decent Mulie. At the end of our trip we were both talking about how we are planning on making the trip again next year. That being said both of us are also thinking that we would like to at some point hunt in the mountains. So my question is, with only one season of Mule Deer hunting on the plains under our belts are we crazy for thinking about trying to do a DIY hunt in the mountains? I am leaning towards at least applying in CO and/or WY. My only big hang ups are the higher costs for licenses and our limited experience hunting these animals. What would you do?
I am going out west with a buddy this year for the first time. Neither of us have any western hunting experience but we’re both good woodsman with enough sense to know which way is up. This will undoubtedly be a baptism by fire and we may get our asses handed to us but, you have to learn somehow. We intend to make a trip out west every year from now until we can’t anymore. No reason to ease into it as far as I’m concerned. If nothing else, you get to see some pretty country. Good luck

huntnful

WKR
Definitely just pick a spot and go. No reason to hold out for "more experience" prior to going. This IS going to be your more experience haha. It's a lot less burdensome than some people think. Spend a lot of time researching and choosing your area, and then just go in with a loose game plan. Things can change quick once you arrive, so just be ready to adapt and go with the flow.

OP
Trout&Buck
Thanks for the feedback! You guys are right when you say that this is how we can get more experience, and if it's something that we both want to try anyways shouldn't that be saying enough?

So on that note there a few months before application deadlines and plenty of free time to do some research and planning. So, other than OnX and GoHunt, what resources (books, magazines, websites, etc.) would you recommend to help with the planning process, and getting more familiar with mule deer and mountain hunting in general?

I am going out west with a buddy this year for the first time. Neither of us have any western hunting experience but we’re both good woodsman with enough sense to know which way is up. This will undoubtedly be a baptism by fire and we may get our asses handed to us but, you have to learn somehow. We intend to make a trip out west every year from now until we can’t anymore. No reason to ease into it as far as I’m concerned. If nothing else, you get to see some pretty country. Good luck
100% the same mentality I have. Tagging out would just be a bonus. Spending time with buddies in some beautiful backcountry is the main goal. Everything else is just a bonus

FLAK

WKR
Nothing beats boots on the ground. And there's only one way to do that.
Given your location I'd say WY and CO are spot on. If possible, do some other hunting/fishing in the units your thinking about hunting.

MTN BUM

Lil-Rokslider
No way to get the experience other than to do it. You can read and practice all you want, your first trip will still kick you in the short curlies. But you will learn a ton. Most importantly you will learn if this is worth getting better at.

sndmn11

WKR
I would squirrel away $1 a day and plan on getting a plane ticket to arrive in any part of Colorado before lunch on the day before leftover tags are able to be purchased. Then head to the nearest license agent and sleep at the front door. Pick the best tag available, hope your checker-outer person knows the drill, shoot a deer.

100% the same mentality I have. Tagging out would just be a bonus. Spending time with buddies in some beautiful backcountry is the main goal. Everything else is just a bonus
That’s the way we’re approaching it. More as a learning opportunity than anything. You going to be rifle hunting late season?

OP
Trout&Buck
I would squirrel away $1 a day and plan on getting a plane ticket to arrive in any part of Colorado before lunch on the day before leftover tags are able to be purchased. Then head to the nearest license agent and sleep at the front door. Pick the best tag available, hope your checker-outer person knows the drill, shoot a deer.

Wouldn't I be better off trying to draw a tag than banking on there being leftover tags?

KNASH

Lil-Rokslider
When he was young, I used to tell my boy "Son, experience is that thing you acquire while screwing up. And, you're gaining a lot of experience!!!". Just go for it.

sndmn11

WKR
Wouldn't I be better off trying to draw a tag than banking on there being leftover tags?
If you want to try and draw a tag that takes the number of points you currently have or less, sure.

It sounds like you have no points, and some folks wouldn't blow their nose with a 0 point non-res deer tag. Every year there are high quality tags available on leftover day that take a handful of points. Also, if you don't want to try and snag a coveted leftover, a smart non-res would look at what was drawn as a second choice or later over the past few years, and then apply for a preference point with first choice with the identified hunt code as second choice.

OP
Trout&Buck
It sounds like you have no points, and some folks wouldn't blow their nose with a 0 point non-res deer tag.

That's right we will be going into this season without any points. Is the reason for the aversion to 0 point units due to higher pressure, lower deer density/numbers, smaller bucks, or something else? I have noticed that most of the "easy to draw" units are also OTC Elk units, Does that factor into it?

sndmn11

WKR
That's right we will be going into this season without any points. Is the reason for the aversion to 0 point units due to higher pressure, lower deer density/numbers, smaller bucks, or something else? I have noticed that most of the "easy to draw" units are also OTC Elk units, Does that factor into it?

Yes to all, except density in some cases.

OP
Trout&Buck
So, on the Wyoming side of things, mu understanding is that if you draw a deer tag you can hunt both the rifle season and archery if you purchase the special archery license. Is that right? As far as I can tell the archery license is available OTC, right?