Starting to plan my brother's first hunt...could use some help

TauPhi111

WKR
After years of venison diplomacy, my younger brother is finally starting to take an interest in hunting so he can provide himself and his fiance with a freezer full of venison. He lives in Utah (SLC) and I live in Ohio, and with this fall booked up with weddings, his included, we're trying to plan a UT mule deer hunt for 2020. I'd like some input on what you guys think would be the best possible hunt for a newbie UT deer hunter. Trophy quality is a non-issue, so even doe tags would be great! I'm a seasoned hunter, but my only western experience is elk in Colorado and all my deer experience is midwest/east coast white tails. Any suggestions on what units/seasons/tags to apply for would be appreciated. Just looking for something where he will come away wanting to do it again, hopefully.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
He'll need points for a rifle tag even antlerless tags take points. Crazy I know. Send me a pm and I'll try and walk you though the process.
I used all my points last season so I've been researching this a bunch lately.

Like unlucky said buy points this year for general deer and I would add cow elk.
Lots of opportunities around slc. Likely the biggest factor of success is willingness to hike steep, oak brush infested country.

OP
TauPhi111

TauPhi111

WKR
He'll need points for a rifle tag even antlerless tags take points. Crazy I know. Send me a pm and I'll try and walk you though the process.
I used all my points last season so I've been researching this a bunch lately.

Thanks! I forgot to mention that we are both going to apply for a point this year. I'm considering both rifle and muzzleloader.

OP
TauPhi111

TauPhi111

WKR
Like unlucky said buy points this year for general deer and I would add cow elk.
Lots of opportunities around slc. Likely the biggest factor of success is willingness to hike steep, oak brush infested country.

We're two young, in shape guys. No aversion to steep and nasty. Are there lots of opportunities for cow elk around there too? My bro hikes around a lot and sees mule deer and moose but says he has yet to see any elk.

We're two young, in shape guys. No aversion to steep and nasty. Are there lots of opportunities for cow elk around there too? My bro hikes around a lot and sees mule deer and moose but says he has yet to see any elk.
Yes there are cow elk opportunities.
I'd say there are elk that have seen your brother hiking evenif he hasn't seen them.
Takes 2 to 3 points typically I believe.

sneaky

"DADDY"
If he just wants a freezer full of venison then why don't you break him in on deer in Ohio? Make him successful on his first attempt and he's far more likely to get hooked. Just a thought. Like already said, buy points this year and study draw trends and success rates for the areas you pick out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
TauPhi111

TauPhi111

WKR
If he just wants a freezer full of venison then why don't you break him in on deer in Ohio? Make him successful on his first attempt and he's far more likely to get hooked. Just a thought. Like already said, buy points this year and study draw trends and success rates for the areas you pick out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That would be ideal but not very feasible for several reasons including but not limited to: travel cost for him vs me, he hasn't shot a bow since we were kids and ohio is mostly a bowhunting state, part of the draw for him is also the back country adventure, work schedules, etc.

That said, I'd like to try to be successful in his first outing. That is why I am trying to research a unit that just has lots of deer, not necessarily huge deer. Anyone have any suggestions? PM me if you're willing to share.

That said, I'd like to try to be successful in his first outing. That is why I am trying to research a unit that just has lots of deer, not necessarily huge deer. Anyone have any suggestions? PM me if you're willing to share.

Honestly your best bet is whatever unit he is closest to or likes to hike in.
Getting familiar with it over the summer with some scouting will pay off
I enjoy the spandex parade on the trails as much as the next guy but he needs to be getting off trail to find pockets that are off the beaten path as much as possible.

Meet in the middle and shoot Nebraska whitetail does in December with muzzle loader.

A few phone calls could line you up some easy access for does in fields along the river corridors. Each of you could shoot about as many as you wanted to buy tags for most likely. West Central Nebraska along the Platte River is only about 11 hours from SLC!

Our as others said just pick a unit where your bro is already hiking as he can get to know things better that way!