Startospire 2 vs SO silvertip

Jbehredt

WKR
I’ve got a silvertip and have the stratospire 2 on my off season “research before buying” list. With my wife backpacking and hunting more I’ve thought a floored shelter might enhance livability on a couple trips. Ie; we used the silvertip in the black canyon this summer. Didn’t realize the ground came alive when the sun went down. She smashed a big salmonfly on her forehead one night. Pretty sure I heard the splat. September/October in the mtns the silvertip is hard to beat for 1 or 2 with some gear. I think that big fly on the stratospire might be nice for precip as well.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Well, you can choose between US made SO and Chinese made Tarptent now. Have you considered the Eolus from SO or the Silex? Both seem to be pretty popular and well thought of. I liked my LBO a lot. I don't care for Tarptent still charging made in the USA prices for their shelters that they moved production offshore on. That's just me, I just think they could have passed the production cost savings on to the consumer.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would choose the Eolus over the Silvertip personally , except for maybe constant winds over 50 -60 MPH. That being said , the Eolus may do just as well, and does great up to 50 and possibly beyond. I cna not comment on the tarptent but it looks nice

Jbehredt

WKR
Well, you can choose between US made SO and Chinese made Tarptent now. Have you considered the Eolus from SO or the Silex? Both seem to be pretty popular and well thought of. I liked my LBO a lot. I don't care for Tarptent still charging made in the USA prices for their shelters that they moved production offshore on. That's just me, I just think they could have passed the production cost savings on to the consumer.

I did not realize that. Good as of that aforementioned list. Thanks for the heads up on the dirty pool they’re playing.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I did not realize that. Good as of that aforementioned list. Thanks for the heads up on the dirty pool they’re playing.
I think there's something like 11 out of their 19 models being made in China now. The Stratospire series being one of them, and all of their DCF shelters.

Teejay

FNG
I was on the fence with a Silvertip and decided on MLD Duomid because MLD had more options with inner nest configurations and was a lighter setup. I can use just a groundsheet, a borah bug bivy or with the solo or duo inner nests. I bought it for a solo set up for me and the dog and will either use the bug bivy or solo do inner depending on expected conditions.

If SO had a half nest option for the silvertip, I probably would have went with it. I thought about having someone make a custom inner for the silvertip or even trying the MLD solo inner with it but seems like it would take more work than it was worth... the MLD components all go together nicely and will be a bomber solo setup around 2.5 lbs

Voyageur

WKR
I have no experience with the Silvertip, but have used a Stratospire II for close to 10 years now. It's been to AK, the BWCAW in MN, Wind River Mtns in WY, the Black Hills, and various places on the prairies of SD. Mine is a great shelter whether it's me solo, with the dog, or with a partner.

Stratospire 2 is my overall go-to tent. I got engaged in mine this september. It is a fantastic balance of space/weight/weather resistance. I use a DCF MLD duomid when solo and more weight conscious which might be closer to the silvertip in application although seemingly less spacious. The eolus would probably be a closer comparison to the Stratospire.

Personally I prefer the stratospire design if you are going to use an inner. Those struts make for good head space. The seek designs are very nice as well but I think are more ideal if you are going floorless. It is nice that the seek tents are made in CO. If buying a made in asia tent, the xmid 2p is another good option.