State by state application breakdown

Lou Sid

FNG
Is there a comprehensive summary available anywhere that outlines the process and draw odds to hunt a bull elk in each state? For example, CO is easy, the answer is OTC for many units, then you'll need x number of points to draw a decent unit and x number to draw a good unit and you can buy points every yr. For WY your best option is non res special draw with general as first choice. You'll have 20% chance or so with 0 points. 100% chance with 2-3 points. Can buy points every yr. These are the only 2 states I know. I've studied others but it's very confusing. Just wondering the best resource to tell me what I need to do to have the best chance of hunting bulls in various states in reasonably decent areas.

ppelham

FNG
Is there a comprehensive summary available anywhere that outlines the process and draw odds to hunt a bull elk in each state? For example, CO is easy, the answer is OTC for many units, then you'll need x number of points to draw a decent unit and x number to draw a good unit and you can buy points every yr. For WY your best option is non res special draw with general as first choice. You'll have 20% chance or so with 0 points. 100% chance with 2-3 points. Can buy points every yr. These are the only 2 states I know. I've studied others but it's very confusing. Just wondering the best resource to tell me what I need to do to have the best chance of hunting bulls in various states in reasonably decent areas.

Gohunt.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KineKilla

WKR
Gohunt comes pretty close but you'll still have to go state by state and pull what info you need.

I have began compiling the important info (to me) on a single document for ease of use. I created an Excel years ago that I use to track the application history, costs, successes and failures for me and 4 of my friends.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

WRO

WKR
Epic outdoors, plus you get a great magazine..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
Lou Sid

Lou Sid

FNG
These are all great suggestions and will help, however I'm not sure they have the detail and specifics I'm looking for. For example WY is so simple. The best chance every yr is the non res special with general as first choice. Do these resources provide this level of detail for each state? It would be great to have a state by state list with 1-2 sentences on what to apply for to get the best odds to draw a bull tag in a decent area.

These are all great suggestions and will help, however I'm not sure they have the detail and specifics I'm looking for. For example WY is so simple. The best chance every yr is the non res special with general as first choice. Do these resources provide this level of detail for each state? It would be great to have a state by state list with 1-2 sentences on what to apply for to get the best odds to draw a bull tag in a decent area.

Im afraid what you ask for does not exist as there are as many variables and combinations as there are hunters. So, this statement for you would be very different everybody else.

OP
Lou Sid

Lou Sid

FNG
Im afraid what you ask for does not exist as there are as many variables and combinations as there are hunters. So, this statement for you would be very different everybody else.

I figured so but thought I'd give it a shot. Kinda crazy how tough it is just to apply to hunt an elk! I bet I've spent 100 hrs since last winter researching online and I'm not much better off than when i started. Probably time to start calling each states wildlife office and or subscribe to some of the resources mentioned above.

fatlander

WKR
I figured so but thought I'd give it a shot. Kinda crazy how tough it is just to apply to hunt an elk! I bet I've spent 100 hrs since last winter researching online and I'm not much better off than when i started. Probably time to start calling each states wildlife office and or subscribe to some of the resources mentioned above.

It’s not really that hard. If you’ve spent 100’s of and haven’t figured it out, you’re looking in the wrong places. There are a few states you can hunt every year or at least every couple years. There are a few states that you will chase points in forever. Then there’s NM that’s truly random.

What you really want out of your hunts will dictate your strategy. If you want to hunt an elk, you can do that every year, no problem. If you want to hunt bull elk, you can do that every year, for now. If you want to hunt well known trophy units, you’re going to chase points forever or have to get lucky in a state that isn’t pure preference.

I know I said it earlier, but you should really start with those old elk talk podcasts. They break down each state to something that’s a lot closer to what you’re asking than anyone else has pointed you to. I love go hunt and eastmans for what they are, but they’re purely odds for me. If you don’t understand the system you have no way of knowing how you should harness those odds.

WRO

WKR
How does Epic outdoors, Gohunt and Huntin Fool compare head to head?
Epic has actual people to talk to and glean advice that are straight killers.

Hf is second, Epic was started by 2 ex hunting fool guys (Jason Carter and Adam bronson).

Go hunt is okay..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
Cheapest option: subscription to Eastman's and ask questions about specific draw stuff here. Avoid unit info, but we'll help with how a draw works. Also, Huntinfool's website has a lot of free info under the research tab. Go to the state fish and game info choice and them select a state. Draw deadlines, fees, and links to the state info will pop up.

Next is either Huntinfool or Epic.

GoHunt is third and I don't think worth the money anymore.

They are overpriced compared to the other two for what you get. Huntinfool and Epic now have decent draw odds tools with maps plus you get a magazine and access to someone to talk with depending on the subscription you buy. I like the magazine for reference when I'm laying out a plan for the year.

I like Epic's magazine better than Huntinfool's. As far as calling them and talking hunting, both are good. Both like to talk hunting, and they will call back or have someone else call that does have the info.

Jeremy

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
In our expert analysis section of Eastmans’ TagHub we do a breakdown of each state.