States that force you to wear mask

Status
Not open for further replies.
People that are saying they "don't understand how a piece of cloth keeps out the virus" really need to read up on the science of the virus and how it spreads; the mask is designed to keep you from SPREADING the virus, NOT to prevent you from getting the virus. Interestingly to me, even basic cloth masks have shown some reduction (up to 60%ish) in the likelihood one will catch the virus, so I'll be interested to read further research on that.
In other words this:

50408F3B-703A-437A-A680-E463DE78A38C.jpeg

jremmons

FNG
What's the science behind the mask not keeping you from getting it verses keeping you from spreading it? If the mask can't keep me from getting it by breathing small amounts through (nobody blowing in my face)how does it stop it when you sneeze cough thro it
Here are some quick summations and individual studies of some of the evidence, to this point.

Mike7

WKR
Some state governments are asking/mandating you to wear a mask when in public...... yet in defiance, one willing decides to object and not wear it. Why, because you feel empowered by being able to do so. Because “no one can tell me what to do Or when to do it”. Because it does no good. I am sticking it to the government by blatantly defying their request/mandate.

Now, place yourself in a situation where you have to go into a room with a known COVID positive patient and have to get within six feet of him/her. You have the option of putting on a cloth mask or not wearing a mask. What’s your choice? I dare to think that not a single one of you would willing grab that cloth mask and put it on. Oh wait....herd immunity. I will be better off by just getting it so I am not gonna wear the mask. Really? So step away from your Macho-self demeanor and assume your wife and kids are standing outside this room with you while you are making that choice. Still not gonna put on the mask? Herd immunity, its what we need right? What have the most recent studies shown about herd immunity? Don’t know, look it up. Not what you think.

This is a real world real life example, the caveat is, you have no idea who is a Positive COVID patient or not when you enter into a location confined or not by walls where you are in closes contact with people. Many of these people are positive COVID patients, but you can’t tell it. Anyone read the Bible.....”wolf in sheep’s clothing”.

IMO, no one is trying to take away your civil liberties for the heck of it. These non-medical politicians are trying to make the best decisions (usually...not always I will admit, as some are politically motivated) but in general to help prevent the spread. I.e. Everyone wears a mask in public places and this will allow us to keep the economy going and people working. Or, instead, we can shutdown for 2-3 more weeks, and no one is allowed out of their houses again.

And no, the healcare community has not recovered. We caught up after the several weeks of quarantine, however many are now worse off than before. My community alone has gone from 300 cases to over a thousand cases in 10 days. Our hospital has less than 15 beds for COVID patients. The community 20 miles away that has two hospitals is now on diversion I am told because they are full. All elective surgeries have been canceled now going forward. If/when we are full same for us. You need surgery, now it’s a 5 hour drive to the next city, assuming they are doing elective cases. Essentially life and limb cases only being done now.

So, to think all is well, that this is all B.S. I can’t wear a mask or am not going to....it’s all not as bad as perceived....well, that’s your opinion. But if you get it....and these institutions are now full or the 5 days worth of Redemsivir supply is wiped out to help you recover, or there aren’t anymore ventilators for you, then what? And, yes these are all actual current issues. I know I know, it won’t happen to you.

Well....I take this risk every single day, and I may be taking care of you. I don’t get the choice, I simply have to do it, regardless of the risks you did or did not take. What’s it gonna hurt to wear a mask, even if its of little benefit? Someone isn’t always out to get you, and it’s not always just you that is affected. I won’t tell you what to do in public. I see it on a daily basis. Not my job to police you. I will just go on about my business.

Just my .02

You do realize that the mask doesn't generally protect you right?

In fact, it may actually increase your risk of getting sick in certain situations depending upon your behaviors and the behaviors of many. We wear them in surgery only to avoid spitting into open wounds while communicating, and in that case the mask is worn for a relatively short period of time and we can't touch our face during that time.

Now, a mask may protect others in specific situations if you are sick!....like if you are coughing and sneezing right around someone; and it may even help protect them some if you are breathing really close to them for a moderate amount of time.

If you are sick in an enclosed space for a prolonged time period with someone, you will still get them sick, even if you are wearing a mask.

If you however are out in a well ventilated space, particularly if you are not symptomatic, you are 'not' going to be infecting people whether wearing a mask or not. If you are in an enclosed space for a brief period of time with someone, and you are asymptomatic, then they are not likely to get sick, whether you wear a mask or not.

One thing most big government types don't get I think is the following...
Big government types can be identified as those who ask, "What is the big deal about wearing a mask?", rather than asking, "Is this an emergency situation which justifies a govt by the people, for the people, and of the people 'mandating' that someone wear a mask or mandating anything for that matter?"

Most freedom loving people could care less whether others wear a mask or not in most situations, and would like to retain these choices as well 'for themselves', unless an emergency public health situation is identified which shows a clear cut course of action is necessary for a limited amount of time.

If anyone with a straight face can say that all governors, mayors, and public health officials have your best interest in mind, and always know what's best for you (after months of hypocrisy, misinformation, threats, and misinterpretation of available medical information), then I would like to live in your make believe world.

OP
Matt mi

Matt mi

Lil-Rokslider
So I could be 6ft from people wearing a mask and could still breath the virus in wearing a mask. But the mask can stop it from spreading when I talk cough sneeze? I'm just saying if you can breath it in thro the mask and nobody is coughing in your face you just walk thro where someone did how does it really make a difference. Instead of being heavy droplets falling to the ground faster you would think the mask would spread it out into air better

So I could be 6ft from people wearing a mask and could still breath the virus in wearing a mask. But the mask can stop it from spreading when I talk cough sneeze? I'm just saying if you can breath it in thro the mask and nobody is coughing in your face you just walk thro where someone did how does it really make a difference. Instead of being heavy droplets falling to the ground faster you would think the mask would spread it out into air better

It’s the gift that keeps on giving but also makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside

tdhanses

WKR
Kansas is kinda of not really. Kansas City, Wichita and maybe Topeka you do. Those cities filed ordinances where they can ticket you I think starting around $25. Per violation.
The majority of the state filed exemptions from the governor’s latest orders. The governors orders our recommendations only and cannot be enforced by law-enforcement.
All the counties in the KC area are following it as well.

Mike7

WKR
One thing to be careful of also with some of these studies (which is the same mistake people use when assessing some public health interventions for Covid-19) is that often preventative measures are not performed in isolation.

When you see a review that says, well some studies showed no difference with mask use and contracting influenza, but this one study (where we counseled people in preventing infection, we had them wash their hands regularly, and we had them wear masks earlier in the flu season), showed mildly decreased influenza in this treatment group...so to us that makes us believe masks likely help. No, masks + hand washing + counseling may have helped...so flawed study conclusion.

Ace12

Lil-Rokslider
Some state governments are asking/mandating you to wear a mask when in public...... yet in defiance, one willing decides to object and not wear it. Why, because you feel empowered by being able to do so. Because “no one can tell me what to do Or when to do it”. Because it does no good. I am sticking it to the government by blatantly defying their request/mandate.

Now, place yourself in a situation where you have to go into a room with a known COVID positive patient and have to get within six feet of him/her. You have the option of putting on a cloth mask or not wearing a mask. What’s your choice? I dare to think that not a single one of you would willing grab that cloth mask and put it on. Oh wait....herd immunity. I will be better off by just getting it so I am not gonna wear the mask. Really? So step away from your Macho-self demeanor and assume your wife and kids are standing outside this room with you while you are making that choice. Still not gonna put on the mask? Herd immunity, its what we need right? What have the most recent studies shown about herd immunity? Don’t know, look it up. Not what you think.

This is a real world real life example, the caveat is, you have no idea who is a Positive COVID patient or not when you enter into a location confined or not by walls where you are in closes contact with people. Many of these people are positive COVID patients, but you can’t tell it. Anyone read the Bible.....”wolf in sheep’s clothing”.

IMO, no one is trying to take away your civil liberties for the heck of it. These non-medical politicians are trying to make the best decisions (usually...not always I will admit, as some are politically motivated) but in general to help prevent the spread. I.e. Everyone wears a mask in public places and this will allow us to keep the economy going and people working. Or, instead, we can shutdown for 2-3 more weeks, and no one is allowed out of their houses again.

And no, the healcare community has not recovered. We caught up after the several weeks of quarantine, however many are now worse off than before. My community alone has gone from 300 cases to over a thousand cases in 10 days. Our hospital has less than 15 beds for COVID patients. The community 20 miles away that has two hospitals is now on diversion I am told because they are full. All elective surgeries have been canceled now going forward. If/when we are full same for us. You need surgery, now it’s a 5 hour drive to the next city, assuming they are doing elective cases. Essentially life and limb cases only being done now.

So, to think all is well, that this is all B.S. I can’t wear a mask or am not going to....it’s all not as bad as perceived....well, that’s your opinion. But if you get it....and these institutions are now full or the 5 days worth of Redemsivir supply is wiped out to help you recover, or there aren’t anymore ventilators for you, then what? And, yes these are all actual current issues. I know I know, it won’t happen to you.

Well....I take this risk every single day, and I may be taking care of you. I don’t get the choice, I simply have to do it, regardless of the risks you did or did not take. What’s it gonna hurt to wear a mask, even if its of little benefit? Someone isn’t always out to get you, and it’s not always just you that is affected. I won’t tell you what to do in public. I see it on a daily basis. Not my job to police you. I will just go on about my business.

Just my .02
The problem is 90% of the masks people are wearing doesn’t do any good. Absolutely no good. But the government/businesses etc don’t care. Good enough. I’m sorry some are petrified of it, but I don’t think a virus with 99.9% survival rate is worth shutting down the entire country and ruining our economy over. What happens when this is over. How many suicides are we gonna have? People extremely depressed from losing everything and turning to drugs and alcohol. In my opinion it is not worth it. This country HAS to get back to normal. Previous comments are true. We went from flattening the curve to God forbid no one can get it, stop everything until we get a vaccine. Sorry if I’m a little skeptical of “what’s next”

KineKilla

WKR
It's a minor inconvenience at best to wear a mask. If it helps keep you from spreading or helps keep you from contracting is irrelevant.

Are we so caught up in our own self image as a society that wearing a mask, no matter how helpful, is a big deal?

If you could prevent getting even one other person sick by wearing a mask would you not do it?

I hate strapping the damned thing on my face every time I walk into a store but I still do it. If it helps me from spreading something to someone else then it's the least I can do.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Ya piss and a microscopic contagion are pretty comparable, this makes sense to me 🤓
I don’t think it was meant to be taken ultra literally. In any case, viruses and bacteria are much smaller than the mask element but at least some of the water/saliva droplets they hitch a ride on are not. At a bare minimum that would reduce momentum of the physical spread and reduce viral load

1st edit: fleshed out few thoughts before any responses came through
2nd edit: To use a rokslide appropriate illustration: If you were caught in heavy rainstorm wouldn’t you put on your softshell jacket if you had it even it’s not as good as a hardshell?

Last edited:

KineKilla

WKR
Yes it shall pass and the majority of people will be fine afterwards. That provides very little comfort to those who will lose loved ones prematurely because of it.

I do NOT want to be the one who gave my grandmother COVID nor do I wish to be the one who gave it to you so you could give it to your parents or grandparents.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Utah is going to require masks for all children going back to school.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also i believe Texas is now state wide rule for wearing a mask in public

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
Want to really save a lot of people. Don’t worry about mask so damn much and take away the alcohol.

I work in healthcare. I don’t want to wear a mask. If places ask I do, or if it’s mandated I’ll wear it. it’s getting old though.

At work it’s n95 even though they don’t fit, as we are using whatever we can get, and eye protection. And a gown if needed. Being 90* and trying to work in a mask and goggles in an uncontrolled environment is getting old fast

Status
Not open for further replies.