States that force you to wear mask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fisherhahn

Lil-Rokslider
Do the masks do anything? Well in Hong Kong, they have had similar outbreaks in the past, so many residents routinely wear masks. The population there is similar to NY City. They have had a total of 1400 total cases and 7 deaths so far. NY City has had 223000 cases and over 22000 deaths. 7 vs. 22000. Yeah, I think masks might help stop the spread...

You do realize that the mask doesn't generally protect you right?

THE MASK doesn’t “generally protect you”. Uh.....okay. I statd I wear an N95/N99 mask. Look up the literature and tell us what it says about N95/99 masks and their filtration abilities and intended uses. If worn appropriately and fitted correctly they are highly effective. Are they 100% reliable/failproof, no, but they will more than “generally“ protect you. And unless you have one with a valve on it they protect both you and others around you. If it has a valve it only filters inspirations so protecting you, not others as you exhaled breath is unfiltered. I would argue that many homemade masks, while they don’t have the protective barrier nature for large droplets like surgical masks, many do have a tighter fit or seal decreasing air leak risks. At minimum at least it’s an additional barrier, while not as effective as the the above.

In fact, it may actually increase your risk of getting sick in certain situations depending upon your behaviors and the behaviors of many. We wear them in surgery only to avoid spitting into open wounds while communicating, and in that case the mask is worn for a relatively short period of time and we can't touch our face during that time.

You don’t wear N95 masks during surgery, you wear a surgical mask, which is nothing more than a loose fitting fabric that, as you did accurately describe, protects the wearers nose and mouth from contaminating the sterile surgical field with LARGE saliva droplets or respiratory secretions that contain your germs as well as protected you the user from splashes and sprays from the patients body fluids. Wearing a mask itself, whether N95 or a surgical mask does not increase you risk of getting sick. The poor technique of constant touching your face with your unclean hands or contaminated gloves to readjust your mask is what puts you at risk. The mask itself does not.

Now, a mask may protect others in specific situations if you are sick!....like if you are coughing and sneezing right around someone; and it may even help protect them some if you are breathing really close to them for a moderate amount of time.

Agree 100%. It’s not an absolute but it will indeed diminish the risk.

If you are sick in an enclosed space for a prolonged time period with someone, you will still get them sick, even if you are wearing a mask.

Possible, but not absolute.

If you however are out in a well ventilated space, particularly if you are not symptomatic, you are 'not' going to be infecting people whether wearing a mask or not.

Agree

If you are in an enclosed space for a brief period of time with someone, and you are asymptomatic, then they are not likely to get sick, whether you wear a mask or not.

“Brief period of time” & “not likely to get sick”. Sure, the odds are favorable but.....

One thing most big government types don't get I think is the following...
Big government types can be identified as those who ask, "What is the big deal about wearing a mask?", rather than asking, "Is this an emergency situation which justifies a govt by the people, for the people, and of the people 'mandating' that someone wear a mask or mandating anything for that matter?"

When the Governor of Texas issued a “shelter in place“ order that lasted for weeks.....are positive COVID patient numbers were 150 patients, 100 of which were from a single nursing home. The majority of the state had 1/10 of cases the than what we do now. Since that order has relaxed and we have relied on the people to “do the right thing” which was socially distance ( which as has been witnessed by most was completely ignored) we now have over a 1,000 cases in over a 10 day period In our county and the rest of Texas numbers have equally skyrocketed. Unfortunately, some need to have their hands held and be told what to do.

Most freedom loving people could care less whether others wear a mask or not in most situations, and would like to retain these choices as well 'for themselves', unless an emergency public health situation is identified which shows a clear cut course of action is necessary for a limited amount of time.

I just detailed above what the emergency health situation was above. Hospital beds lol, respirators all being used, meds on short supply,
pediatric hospitals admitting adult COVID patients because regular hospitals are full. I guess what people think is an public health emregncy is when thousands are on their death bed. No, we aren’t seeing that with COVID. Death rate percent is actually really low nothing like what was being reported. But the simple ability to offer appropriate care is what is being hindered. That IS an emergent public health situation.

If anyone with a straight face can say that all governors, mayors, and public health officials have your best interest in mind, and always know what's best for you (after months of hypocrisy, misinformation, threats, and misinterpretation of available medical information), then I would like to live in your make believe world.

I agree 100% with this statement. However that’s true in any industry especially when you are dealt something you haven't seen before. Some decisions are good, some are great, some are bad and some are catastrophic.

The reassuring part is the overwhelming majority will be fine if we get it. Some will have terrible symptoms and some will have mild to none. Very few will die. But, it is putting a strain on the medical system and what we can do is try and dimiMishra that strain. Wearing face masks isn’t going to completely bring this to a halt. The people wearing gloves and touching everything in the store are not helping. And as was said before, you can’t even get the majority of people to wash their hands after going to the restroom. Herding cats I know. As I said before, it’s not my job to police others. No one likes being told what to do, whether by government or strangers. Yelling at someone in a store becaus they don’t have a mask on is unacceptable and simply creates more animosity to those who do wear masks. Simply be diligent in doing your part, whatever you feel that is, which I will admit I hope is at minimum keeping your distance from others in confined spaces.

Discussions like these are good. I have no ill will towards anyone. We all have different understandings and different backgrounds. No one of us are any more important than the other. Something to learn from all.

ODB

WKR
I just had dinner in Boise. We were standing out in the street looking at the menu. The waitress said we needed to wear a mask to be seated (we wanted to sit outside) - the table was literally 4 steps from where we were standing. Two people we were with did not have masks. They were sold a mask for 1$ to be able to walk 4 steps (again, literally) past tables where people were not wearing masks (Because they were already seated to eat) to our table, where we would then be able to take off our masks.

MattB

WKR
Obviously something like an N95 mask or something more robust makes total sense in a healthcare setting. I’m talking about walking around in public. Another typical response from you and the rest of your mask crew to make it look like I said something I didn’t. In PUBLIC............PUBLIC. I’m all for my wife wearing one when she gives immunizations in the pharmacy.

How is that any different than waiting in line at a supermarket or Chipotle? The notion is that the potential to receive a contagious dose is a function of time and level of exposure. Are you of the opinion that combination can only occur in a healthcare setting?

It is ironic and telling that you are for your wife wearing one but are critical of other people who could be at a similar risk of exposure for doing so.

Troutnut

FNG
What happened to the days of "ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country"? This seems to fall into that category.

Bingo. The science is increasingly clear that masks offer substantial protection to the wearer and even more protection of others from the wearer if they're infected and don't know it yet. Refusing to wear a mask around other people in enclosed public spaces is now similarly irresponsible to driving drunk or randomly firing your gun into the air.

As for self-protection, a recent study reviewed the evidence has been summarized by news outlets as saying wearing a mask cuts your risk of infection by 65 %, but it's a bit more complicated than that. The full review article in the top medical journal Lancet shows that N95 masks are best, followed by surgical masks, followed by single-layer masks, but they all reduce your chance of catching the virus (in addition to reducing your risk of transmitting it). However, even N95 masks don't offer perfect protection and they're no substitute for social distancing.

How is that any different than waiting in line at a supermarket or Chipotle? The notion is that the potential to receive a contagious dose is a function of time and level of exposure. Are you of the opinion that combination can only occur in a healthcare setting?

It is ironic and telling that you are for your wife wearing one but are critical of other people who could be at a similar risk of exposure for doing so.

What kind of contact are you having with people at Chipotle? Once you get care in a healthcare facility it is falling more into the category of a community environment, especially intensive or longer term care. Sticking a needle in someone’s arm has potential for bodily liquids to be dispersed around.

Making a burrito at Chipotle? Man, all that really has the potential for is shitting your pants 45min later.

MattB

WKR
What kind of contact are you having with people at Chipotle? Once you get care in a healthcare facility it is falling more into the category of a community environment, especially intensive or longer term care. Sticking a needle in someone’s arm has potential for bodily liquids to be dispersed around.

Making a burrito at Chipotle? Man, all that really has the potential for is shitting your pants 45min later.

Your wife gives immunizations, how long is she within 3 feet of any given patient? Probably just a few minutes, so probably much closer to being in line at Chipotle than working in a long term care facility.

But I get it, what make sense to you for your wife is the basis for ridicule for anyone else who does it.

Rob5589

WKR
Big question: How long do we have to wear masks? Until there is a vaccine? Until there isn't one person infected? 6 months? 5 years? I am sure people would feel differently about the masks if there was a "final destination."

Last edited:

Gila

WKR
I don't understand why people don't want to wear a mask. No one comes through my gate without a mask.

Your wife gives immunizations, how long is she within 3 feet of any given patient? Probably just a few minutes, so probably much closer to being in line at Chipotle than working in a long term care facility.

But I get it, what make sense to you for your wife is the basis for ridicule for anyone else who does it.

I know as far as medical treatment goes, giving a shot is not incredibly involved, but it’s still penetrating into someone’s body. What are they penetrating you with at the burrito place? Keep grasping at straws, you have no argument, your comparing random people off the street going in for a crappy burrito to the sickest people in the community being around my wife by up to 5-600 a day. What the he’ll argument do you have comparing those two? Ridiculous

I know as far as medical treatment goes, giving a shot is not incredibly involved, but it’s still penetrating into someone’s body. What are they penetrating you with at the burrito place? Keep grasping at straws, you have no argument, your comparing random people off the street going in for a crappy burrito to the sickest people in the community being around my wife by up to 5-600 a day. What the he’ll argument do you have comparing those two? Ridiculous

I don’t know man...chipotle is pretty tasty and they use quality ingredients.

I don’t know man...chipotle is pretty tasty and they use quality ingredients.

Back when they came out it was good, now there are too many good options. Plus whenever I went there all the ingredients were separated and there was no medley going on with them. Not to rehash it again, but I had to run to the toilet like I was on a set timer every single time. If you lived in southern CA like I did you will realize Chipotle is garbage compared to a random Mexican corner shop down there.

I wrote way too much about Shitpotle

brsnow

WKR
Well have surpassed death totals from most wars, crippled our economy, and it seems we are just getting started. Embracing a real chance to make a mark on history.

big44a4

WKR
7.5 weeks back at the gym no mask or gloves and feel the best I have in a long time! Have to wear one when scanning in at front desk but that is it. Not a believer in the virus. Was silent during the riots and now it’s back. Where there is smoke there is fire. Not enough evidence in my life to live scared. I don’t judge other idiots for wearing masks. Just kidding, I do when they are driving a car solo and wearing one. IDIOT. But really don’t care if people want to wear one. Very few wear them at them gym and that is their choice, cool. If you feel safest at home that’s cool too. Many grocery stores deliver or have curbside pick up. If you want to live your life that way go for it.

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
In our medical system evidence-based practice drives most professions. In this system we question, study, examine the findings, and change or modify our treatment approach based upon what the evidence shows to be the best option. As new evidence is found, treatment approaches might change, but the goal is to use the best treatment option based upon current evidence, not emotion or convenience. This often means we have to accept that our old way of doing things is no longer the best way, and we have to change our thought process and actions as a result.

When it comes to wearing masks, the evidence is becoming more clear that they make a difference and slow transmition of the virus. This is one of the more comprehensive studies, and it just came out a couple weeks ago: (also referenced above in another post)

If you want to argue about when mandatory orders for masks should be put in place, about COVID-19 testing and reporting policies, or about how deadly the virus is, then go for it. But it's this simple, they didn't think masks were important in the beginning of this thing, they've studied it more and can now see that they are in fact effective in reducing transmition of the virus. That's evidence-based medicine in practice, and it's why we have some really great treatment for a lot of pathologies today. It's also why you're seeing more and more local and state governments force people to wear masks.

The good news is this, I've seen a few smaller studies indicate that wearing masks and social distancing seem to work better than stay at home orders. If the evidence continues to back that up it means wearing masks and staying spread out a little more could really allow us to keep going about our business without shutting everything down.

Status
Not open for further replies.