States that force you to wear mask

Status
Not open for further replies.
In our medical system evidence-based practice drives most professions. In this system we question, study, examine the findings, and change or modify our treatment approach based upon what the evidence shows to be the best option. As new evidence is found, treatment approaches might change, but the goal is to use the best treatment option based upon current evidence, not emotion or convenience. This often means we have to accept that our old way of doing things is no longer the best way, and we have to change our thought process and actions as a result.

When it comes to wearing masks, the evidence is becoming more clear that they make a difference and slow transmition of the virus. This is one of the more comprehensive studies, and it just came out a couple weeks ago: (also referenced above in another post)

If you want to argue about when mandatory orders for masks should be put in place, about COVID-19 testing and reporting policies, or about how deadly the virus is, then go for it. But it's this simple, they didn't think masks were important in the beginning of this thing, they've studied it more and can now see that they are in fact effective in reducing transmition of the virus. That's evidence-based medicine in practice, and it's why we have some really great treatment for a lot of pathologies today. It's also why you're seeing more and more local and state governments force people to wear masks.

The good news is this, I've seen a few smaller studies indicate that wearing masks and social distancing seem to work better than stay at home orders. If the evidence continues to back that up it means wearing masks and staying spread out a little more could really allow us to keep going about our business without shutting everything down.

I agree with you for sure that a mask in a healthcare setting is absolutely going to help. In the study you provided it says the data suggesting that masks working basically doesn’t really apply much to cotton surgical masks.... “with stronger associations with N95 or similar respirators compared with disposable surgical masks ”

Unfortunately your average idiot isn’t even wearing a disposable surgical mask, they are using sometimes under their nose or just around their neck and not even washing or disinfecting them.

lif

WKR
Here’s a couple questions to the pro mask wearers:

If a person had the virus and recovered from it should they be forced to wear a mask still? Do you believe in immunity through antibodies?

If someone is a symptomatic should they have to wear one? Most studies and virologists are now stating that a symptomatic people cannot spread the virus.

When you wear a mask in public do you actually feel safer or are you wearing it to save the next person?

Last question , do you believe the accuracy of the statistics we are being given for actual positive tests as well as the amounts of Covid deaths?

Just curious if folks are believing all the medical studies being talked about or just picking and choosing which ones are important to themselves. This is not meant as a message to poke at folks. Just genuinely curious of how much thought is being put into these decisions we are all making. Myself included.

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with you for sure that a mask in a healthcare setting is absolutely going to help. In the study you provided it says the data suggesting that masks working basically doesn’t really apply much to cotton surgical masks.... “with stronger associations with N95 or similar respirators compared with disposable surgical masks ”

Unfortunately your average idiot isn’t even wearing a disposable surgical mask, they are using sometimes under their nose or just around their neck and not even washing or disinfecting them.

The study reports N95s work better than surgical masks, cotton or gauze, and all masks seem to be more effective in healthcare settings as compared to non-healthcare settings. But in both settings masks worked better than no masks.

I think your comment about how a lot of people are not wearing or using masks correctly is probably why they aren't as effective outside of the healthcare setting. I don't think that discredits the use of a mask however, it just means people need to make sure they are using them correctly to get the most effect out of them.

MattB

WKR
I know as far as medical treatment goes, giving a shot is not incredibly involved, but it’s still penetrating into someone’s body. What are they penetrating you with at the burrito place? Keep grasping at straws, you have no argument, your comparing random people off the street going in for a crappy burrito to the sickest people in the community being around my wife by up to 5-600 a day. What the he’ll argument do you have comparing those two? Ridiculous

So you are saying your wife is at risk for getting bodily fluids in her mouth while giving a shot? It's odd that pre-COVID the nurses/phlebotomists i have dealt with didn't wear masks when giving injections/taking blood. Sounds like you are rationalizing on behalf of you and your wife. What you think is good for your wife is shameful for the rest of us.

But look at the bright side, we've determined you have what it takes for a career in politics.

MattB

WKR

If a person had the virus and recovered from it should they be forced to wear a mask still? Do you believe in immunity through antibodies?

If someone is a symptomatic should they have to wear one? Most studies and virologists are now stating that a symptomatic people cannot spread the virus.

When you wear a mask in public do you actually feel safer or are you wearing it to save the next person?

Last question , do you believe the accuracy of the statistics we are being given for actual positive tests as well as the amounts of Covid deaths?

Just curious if folks are believing all the medical studies being talked about or just picking and choosing which ones are important to themselves. This is not meant as a message to poke at folks. Just genuinely curious of how much thought is being put into these decisions we are all making. Myself included.

I think you hit the nail on the head by asking if we believe the accuracy of data that is being given to us. I frankly do not and don't think we will get anything more definitive for a year or more.

Absent more credible information, I'll wear a mask for those 5-10 minutes a week where I am in a spot where I can't distance from others. Best case, I save my life or someone else's. Absolute worst case, I have worn a mask for 5-10 minutes. That's not even as long as I wear a mask on any given weekend running a leaf blower.

I guess I look at it like wearing a helmet, seat belt, or condom. Why not?

So you are saying your wife is at risk for getting bodily fluids in her mouth while giving a shot? It's odd that pre-COVID the nurses/phlebotomists i have dealt with didn't wear masks when giving injections/taking blood. Sounds like you are rationalizing on behalf of you and your wife. What you think is good for your wife is shameful for the rest of us.

But look at the bright side, we've determined you have what it takes for a career in politics.

Literally one of the dumbest things I have seen you write. Never surprises me though unfortunately.

I have already stated multiple times I believe anyone working in healthcare should mask up.

Didn’t say masks are SHAMEFUL, i said they are stupid and basically unnecessary for your average bumbling citizen who on a 1/100 chance might walk by someone who is a symptomatic.

From your point of view I’m basically sitting in a tower laughing at all the peasants, denying them masks and saving them for my royal family. Get a grip, you’re the one twisting crap around trying to make me look like some douche elite.

I’m sorry you have to keep arguing to defend your pitiful comparison between Chipotle and pharmacies.

I think you hit the nail on the head by asking if we believe the accuracy of data that is being given to us. I frankly do not and don't think we will get anything more definitive for a year or more.

Absent more credible information, I'll wear a mask for those 5-10 minutes a week where I am in a spot where I can't distance from others. Best case, I save my life or someone else's. Absolute worst case, I have worn a mask for 5-10 minutes. That's not even as long as I wear a mask on any given weekend running a leaf blower.

I guess I look at it like wearing a helmet, seat belt, or condom. Why not?

Yes a cloth condom, sounds promising

Mike7

WKR

For clarification, I was referring to the state mask mandates, which include any mask, and not generally a well fitted N95.

Mike7

WKR
Bingo. The science is increasingly clear that masks offer substantial protection to the wearer and even more protection of others from the wearer if they're infected and don't know it yet. Refusing to wear a mask around other people in enclosed public spaces is now similarly irresponsible to driving drunk or randomly firing your gun into the air.

As for self-protection, a recent study reviewed the evidence has been summarized by news outlets as saying wearing a mask cuts your risk of infection by 65 %, but it's a bit more complicated than that. The full review article in the top medical journal Lancet shows that N95 masks are best, followed by surgical masks, followed by single-layer masks, but they all reduce your chance of catching the virus (in addition to reducing your risk of transmitting it). However, even N95 masks don't offer perfect protection and they're no substitute for social distancing.

Do you realize that your link prooved none of your points. These were mostly bundled interventions and/or guesses based upon observational "test tube" studies of varying quality. Things are usually quite a bit more complex in the real world of biological systems, hence the reported need for good prospective studies.

Not you I know, but comparing hong kong and new york is an example of a not good study.

I have no problem wearing a mask. If wearing one saves just one person from getting COVID, much less die, I am happy to do my small part.

I also usually don't unclick my passengers' safety belts as I drive.

Mike7

WKR
In response to other biased comments above.

If overall mortality is down or flat, flu deaths are down, some people die with covid but not from covid, and 50% of deaths so far are in old folks homes where the majority of residents die within 1 yr from something, how can a person rationally compare overall covid assigned mortality to that from a war?

Also, not to be racist or fat/chronic illness shame, but diseases don't care about political correctness, and a fair number of thinnish people of asian descent might live in hong kong (basically the lowest risk group for covid), vs. significantly overnourished people with multiple chronic illnesses of african and hispanic descent living in new york (the highest risk group).

I find it damn amazing that more of us Americans aren't dead already.

Evol

Lil-Rokslider
Mandatory in PA but order had no teeth.

I wear one and don’t like it. Slippery slope IMO.

15-25% wear it under their nose.

Amish don’t wear them around here for the most part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1KNIGHT

FNG
There has been talk of having to wear them here in MN but as of now Menards is the only place I had went to requiring a mask. That’s why I try and go to HD!

4rcgoat

WKR

No!!! I dont believe a god damn thing that comes from ANY media source,not one. Take a good look around and use your own critical thinking, the virus may be real but the CRISIS is engineered. Their fear tactics have zero affect on me.

Was at dinner last night SC no masks required but reduce capacity...all the servers were wearing masks and gloves...ours took order went to the wait station took gloves off to use touch screen to put the order in, just like every other server. Then put gloves back on pulled mask off, checked phone, put mask back on with gloved hands grabbed a pitcher of water and came and refilled my glass. I said the same thing everytime we leave there...damn they make some good tamales!!!

OP
Matt mi

Matt mi

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not sure that it has been long enough for studies to be accurate if you are changing the way people are doing things each month how can you determine which way works best? Maybe say the same 1000 people under extreme surveillance have been wearing a mask since March 1st until now and they used extreme measures to be sure they washed hands sanitized before touching their mask then maybe we could have some accuracy.

street

WKR
I have no problem wearing a mask. If wearing one saves just one person from getting COVID, much less die, I am happy to do my small part.

I also usually don't unclick my passengers' safety belts as I drive.
But you do drive. Thats the thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.