States where I can start buying preference points for my son

My son is 20 months old. I would really like to start buying preference points for him, so that if he enjoys hunting, by the time he could go out west I could carry him on some special hunts.

So far I've only been to Wyoming for Elk. From what I've read, you can't buy preference points in Wy until 12 years old. Do you know any states with no/lower limit? Anybody else doing this for their kids?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

My son has points in WA but you can only buy them points for the big 3. Mountain Goat, moose, big horns. The way WAs draw works though they arnt worth much. Even with max points you have low odds of drawing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

archp625

WKR
I think most states they have to be 10 or 11 to start buying points. The way I understand it is they have to be able to hun to buy points. Man would I love to buy points for my son as well.

Maine moose, I started buying my son them when he was a week old. My daughter has 4 he’s got 3 I have 5. Hope someone draws in the next 15 years or so

CorbLand

WKR
Most places out west you have to be 10-12 but Arizona as soon as you can. It’s cheap for youth.

DanimalW

WKR
I’m doing Maine moose for my kids as well, 4YO and 1YO. Maybe by time they’re 50 they’ll have a shot. You can get black bear points in Wisconsin for $4.50/yr and draw a good unit by time they’re old enough to hunt. Being from out of state, you’d have to pay someone to bait or run dogs with you. But the tag is cheap.

OP
ndlawrence
At least there are a few options here I can get started for him. Maybe another way to go at it.. What about states that have group draws with averaged preference points where I could accumulate and share with him? They'd go half as far, but better than none.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

92xj

WKR
My son has points in WA but you can only buy them points for the big 3. Mountain Goat, moose, big horns. The way WAs draw works though they arnt worth much. Even with max points you have low odds of drawing.

As of last year, you couldn't and can't do this in the future. Washington changed the rule and you now must have a hunting license not just a wildID number to apply for any points. My daughter has 2 points at 4 years old and will have to wait until passing hunter safety to start accruing more.

I bought my son a point last year, he’s 4 and has 3 points. Didn’t realize they stopped it. It was the only good thing the state does for youth. That’s pretty sad. There’s only one good elk tag for the youth and zero good deer tags. It’s absurd.

92xj

WKR
I bought my son a point last year, he’s 4 and has 3 points. Didn’t realize they stopped it. It was the only good thing the state does for youth. That’s pretty sad. There’s only one good elk tag for the youth and zero good deer tags. It’s absurd.

Check and verify, I bet you didn't get a point for him last year, unless he somehow passed hunter safety. I could be wrong though. I sat in on the meetings and listened to the old men complain that youths were building points and coming into the draws with more or equal points as them, it wasn't fair for a young person to draw OIL tags. Enough whined and voted and got it passed before the draw season of 2020. Lame.

Check and verify, I bet you didn't get a point for him last year, unless he somehow passed hunter safety. I could be wrong though. I sat in on the meetings and listened to the old men complain that youths were building points and coming into the draws with more or equal points as them, it wasn't fair for a young person to draw OIL tags. Enough whined and voted and got it passed before the draw season of 2020. Lame.

That’s such a ridiculous thing to worry about in Washington. There’s a mass slaughter on spike elk every year, you have to wait over five years to draw a spring bear tag, the way the draw system is set up even if you have max points you still aren’t guaranteed a tag, the most coveted deer and elk tags are equal to OTC tags in Oregon and Idaho and are harder to draw than an Arizona strip tag, and a million other things.

DanimalW

WKR
Are there any states that offer quality, nonresident youth elk hunts? Just wondering if there are any youth only draws with decent odds out there.

In Arizona you can also have your wife apply and build points, and then when she draws a tag she can transfer it to your son/daughter.

CMF

WKR
FYI, if you need hunter education earlier than your resident state, you can take it in another state. I had my 10yo take California hunter ed so I could apply him in NM for youth hunts. Mississippi quit offering in-person classes after covid and only allowed 12yo's and up to take the online class. Since 12 and under have to hunt with an adult anyway they no longer offer hunter ed for them until 12 when they have the option to hunt alone.

MT257

WKR
Montana is the only one in the west, kids need to be 10 years at the app deadline date in AZ to purchase points.
Montana just passed a law stating the child has to be old enough now to be able to purchase points.

Not sure on the age requirements in every state, but if I could go back in time, I would buy all the points available in Wyoming and Utah as the prices are pretty reasonable for youth hunters.