Stay Beef Up on the Oregon Packworks WS packs

trk3263

WKR
This is a convo between me and Tater that he gave me permission to post for others:

Tater:
Hi.
I noticed your custom stays for your OP pack, and was wondering if you bought a second set and customized them, or used raw stock?
Also, how did you attach the cross-pieces? I couldn't quite tell from the pic (great idea, and i'm looking to infringe on your handy-work for my own pack).

Thanks.
d.

ME:
Do you have an OPW? If so which pack do you have. Either way the first thing you will want to do is get 1"x1/4" aluminum bar stock from your local hardware store. Just replacing the stock stays makes a noticeable difference. For the cross stays you can use the original stays if you don't mind cutting them or you can also buy a section of 1"x1/8" bar stock like I did in the picture.

If you have the whole Shabang you will most likely need to make the cross stays adjustable because all of the packs I have seen have different stay widths between the greengate and the hydro bag. Let me know which pack(s) you have and I will give you the details you need as well as some pics. What's your opinion on your OPW and what do you think the strength and weaknesses.[/QUOTE]

Tater:
I was lucky enough to pick up a Whole Shebang that had been used once by a guy back east who realized it was way too much pack for driving around "hunting".
I love the versatility and design, but feel the weak point is the zipper attachment for the large pack, and the stays for heavier loads. I know some guys question the durability of the fabric (compared to MR and KIF), but i have always looked at packs as compromises between weight/durability/comfort. Besides, duct tape fixes all! The fabric has help up well so far, and i tend to be pretty hard on my gear.

The ability to have one pack with my basic gear ready to roll is great, if needed i can then just add the overflows and go. I only use the large main pack for 4day+ trips (early archery elk).

I sold my MR CrewCab the next weekend after getting this pack. I have never owned a Kifaru, so i can't compare there, but i do own and still use an original Canadian made arc'teryx bora 80 which is my benchmark pack for comfort and design. I put the OPW pack right there with it. The fit for me is critical, and because i'm a freak (5'10"-19 7/8" torso) pack fit can be tricky.

I think that OPW makes a great product, but they just don't spend the heavy $ advertising that the 'big three' pack makers do.
I definitely appreciate the info on the custom stays!

ME:
So since you have the WS you will need to make your stays adjustable since the stay width is not equal on all the setups.
I measured my stays and decided on where to put the cross stays dependent on the length of my torso adjustment so the placement of the cross stays has to be custom according to your body and current adjustments of length.
I then marked where the stays were placed on the cross stays with a marker. You should have a set of marks for both the Greengate pack and also the Rogue pack.
Once you have your marks drill several holes making a slot for the bolt/screw to slide back and forth inside the widest point. The objective is to be able to adjust the up and down stays on the cross stays to fit both setups.
Once this is complete put it all together and make sure the slide works with free movement so you don't have to take it apart to switch packs. I then used lock tight so the screws will no longer come apart. With the lock tight you will not be able to take the shoulder harness off the stays without a little muscle so using the lumbar only setup (without Hydro bag) you would still have to keep the stays in which actually could work as a meat hauler.

4u5ubu2a.jpg

I used these to fasten found at the hardware store.

gypusyha.jpg

Looking from the side

basa9u5u.jpg

asape2ag.jpg

ymatemat.jpg

Let me know if you need other pictures. This makes it very stout. Also I just cut the bar stock with a hack saw and than rounded the ends a little with a table grinder and put electrical tape on the ends as a precaution.

The fabric is actually several layers making it pretty strong and waterproof. The zippers are not waterproof.

The owner Karl lives in Central Oregon not to far from us and if you ever had problems with the pack he has great customer service. I have mentioned the stay mods to him but he hasn't seen the mod yet.

What do you guys think about me moving this to the forum for others to learn from as well?

Great tutorial!
Thanks for all of the great info. Definitely valuable for anyone with an OPW rig.

Rowndy

FNG
Thats a great modification, and is exactly like I've talked to Karl about adding a few weeks ago, I think that looks like the perfect way to beef up their frame.

OP
trk3263

trk3263

WKR
Yea it works great I am on vacation right now but when I return Karl and I talked about meeting so he can check it out.
(I keep in pretty good contact with him)

I can also take some pics of the load lifter changes we made. I think you were the one asking on the other thread?

huntndad

FNG
I think a mod like this could be used to improve a "backpacking" style pack. I'v used quite a few lightweight, dual stay packs that carried 40 to 50 lbs nicely, but the stays would fold under any weight beyond that. I may just have to give it a try.

TRK, Nice mod. Looks like it should prevent barreling. I have the Orion and will have to try it.
Tell Karl HI from me. Speaking of which, I need to call him & get Green Gate bag to complete my system.
Hunt'nFish

OP
trk3263

trk3263

WKR
Gobbler1662 on here actually started the mod. It makes a great improvement.

I talked to Karl the other day and he has taken the first step at testing with the 1/4 stays.

I also got a pair of the turkey wings which are well build and have some nice features. I am a little worried about how much they will hold in body heat on the front and what bulk it will have. I am still deciding on wether I will be taking them on our next trip in May but if I do I will give a review if interested.

Karljf

FNG
Tater,
I currently have used the MODIFIED Orion that Gobbler had sold. I'm continuing to wear and evaluate.
From a business perspective--The Orion fits 90% of the peoples' needs that buy it, and if they understand it was never intended to carry more than 80-100# then so be it. It is a Daypack that CAN, and DOES carry heavy weights comfortably. It was never intended to carry the MAXIMUM weight one could carry. I've carried it configured a number of different ways, and agree like most would reading about the modifications that "of course it will carry more weight better!"l
The idea of the Orion gaining two pounds to facilitate better load-carrying is one that we may not be willing to make.
We MAY make improvements to the asic structure to help carry over 80 pounds--I have carried three loads over 100#--the point is the Greengate pack handlesthat and more--the Orion is being modified by folks as their ONLY pack, and that's great. It is easy to modify with very little cost, and about two pounds in total weight. It is a 6# pack that can handle 80% of all users' weight they desire to carry.
Our fabric (as of late 2010) that you may-or-may not own (Discontinued in 2010, the old Bucksuede is backed with a white canvas material) is a polytricot with laminates that make it a bit heavier than the norm, but is part of the loadbearing that we designed into it. It is waterproof and quite durable. It is NOT 1000-1680D Cordura, and was never intended to be like that fabric. Our Orion is both a great product in cost, weight, and value.
Thanks for the interest in OPW, and we will continue to observe and participate in the modifications made here and make smart choices for our design, now and in the future.

After demoing this pack, the only concern I had at all was the attachment point of the lifter straps to the framesheet. The modular design was obviously well thought out and if not for the lifter issue, I would have one now. The customer service Karl provides is unmatched.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
After demoing this pack, the only concern I had at all was the attachment point of the lifter straps to the framesheet. The modular design was obviously well thought out and if not for the lifter issue, I would have one now. The customer service Karl provides is unmatched.

What about the 5 hours I spent on the phone with you? :)