Staying in shape with Desk job

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Sounds like a pretty bleak scenario...10 hour work days, 2.5 hour commutes...

For me, the only chance would be short intense workouts either before or after work and an insanely strict diet.

I might look into intermediate fasting and do tough 15-20 minute kettlebell workouts either right before the morning drive or in my office before heading home from work.

I had a buddy in a very similar situation and that’s about what he did, the lunchtime workouts just aren’t all that realistic, by the time you get changed, workout, shower etc etc it may or may not be worth the time. If I remember correctly, my friend had a barbell and squat rack at home, he made a very basic linear progression program which he did 3 mornings per week, it was very minimal but he basically had 2 workouts he alternated between, if I recall it was squats/bench one day, deadlifts and overhead presses the next workout. Those workouts took him like 25 minutes, they were basically 3x5 for 2 exercises.

He kept a kettlebell in his office and would do a quick routine of swings and Turkish get ups before driving home.

It worked for him and honestly I don’t see much of a way around it if you want to maintain some level of fitness.

You wouldn’t have to use those exercises though, a rower or something in your garage and 20-30 hard minutes before you shower and head out would probably be ok.

My wife is a Physical Therapist and I’m a desk jockey. i know exactly what you are experiencing but with my wife’s help, have been able to get a workout in everyday.

here is an excerpt of her expert advice that has helped me. Ie, you don’t need a gym, and 1 hour total a day will suffice.

1) Most important: Learn to do simple exercises correctly. Like a simple squat, plank, push up, etc. so many people (myself especially) don’t do them correctly and aren’t getting a proper workout. Once I learned to do squats correctly, they kicked my ass in the right places.

2) do basic exercises - the squats, push ups, planks, etc. but do them slow and controlled. Do 10 squats as slow as possible, while activating/flexing your abs and breathing correctly, AND flexing your pelvic floor, and you’ll sweat your ass off and feel like your going to die.

3) get some athletic bands off Amazon - there’s a good six pack out there for different strength levels. Use those per the instructions and watch you tube videos. They are great for leg exercises when you don’t have free weights.

4) take those bands to work and take 10 mins break every chance you get and do a set of exercises. I usually am doing squats, hip Strengthening and bird dogs and push ups on phone calls. I’ll read emails from my phone while planking. I don’t even have to time myself as I’ll get into emails and feel like I’m about to pee myself from doing a 2 min plank.

5) try to run or power walk first thing in the morning, focus on Running a specific time rather than distance. If you don’t run, Go slow and take breaks as you work into It. Can take 2-3 months to be able to run 20 mins without stopping. Goal here is you need a high heart rate activity

6) go all out on weekend (good workouts and running) pushing yourself. But don’t overdue it and injure yourself. Have hobbies like hiking and carry extra weight in your back pack. I carry both kids when we hike to practice for hunting (one in a backpack one in an ergo baby).

7) have a rest day. For my wife who works out consistently and is very strong, she just does an easy workout one day. For me, I completely veg out on Mondays cause I’m not as consistent and just take a good long walk or easy jog. Life happens.

*zap*

WKR
I think the foundation of any good fitness program is a daily long duration low intensity cardio activity. 1-1.5 hrs. If you can do that daily and then do 5-6 days of 20-30 minutes strength you are doing alot, actually.

Nice peaceful walk first thing in the am. If a 1-1.5 hr walk every day is no issue then start running the second half of that.

chin ups, dips, squats rdl, deadlift, ohp.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I think the foundation of any good fitness program is a daily long duration low intensity cardio activity. 1-1.5 hrs. If you can do that daily and then do 5-6 days of 20-30 minutes strength you are doing alot, actually.

Nice peaceful walk first thing in the am. If a 1-1.5 hr walk every day is no issue then start running the second half of that.

chin ups, dips, squats rdl, deadlift, ohp.

Dosent seem like 1-1.5 hour morning walks are going to work for this guy unless he wants to sleep only 4 hours per night.

nphunter

WKR
I’m in a similar situation, work a desk job 10hrs a day and am remodeling my house on the weekends. After not being able to keep up with my boys in the woods last fall I decided to drop some weight. I also drew a good tag for motivation. I ended up starting to walk on my lunch breaks and then my wife and I would walk about 30min after work. I did this almost every day for 3 months before hunting season and it’s unbelievable how much better I did in the woods this fall. After packing out a couple elk and deer and a lot of hunting I stepped on the scale and was down 30lbs in about 4 months.

Anyway I didn’t really change my diet, I tried to hit 10K steps each day and tried to make up the days I didn’t walk to end the week around 70K steps. If I met that goal my weight loss was pretty constant, if I didn’t it would level out and if I don’t get over 5K I typically gain.

Last edited:

Austink47

WKR
A standing desk has made a huge difference for me. Also you would be amazed how many push-ups or squats you can get in when no one is looking.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m in a similar situation, work a desk job 10hrs a day and am remodeling my house on the weekends. After not being able to keep up with my boys in the woods last fall I decided to drop some weight. I also drew a good tag for motivation. I ended up starting to walk on my lunch breaks and then my wife and I would walk about 30min after work. I did this almost every day for 3 months before hunting season and it’s unbelievable how much better I did in the woods this fall. After packing out a couple elk and deer and a lot of hunting I stepped on the scale and was down 30lbs in about 4 months.
I went back to the desk job after hinting season and have gained back about 12-15lbs. It’s dark when I leave home and raining or snowing most days and our roads I walked at lunch at muddy this time of year. It’s been freezing at night and my wife and I haven’t been walking.
I just started walking on the treadmill but it’s defiantly not the same.
Anyway I didn’t really change my diet, I tried to hit 10K steps each day and tried to make up the days I didn’t walk to end the week around 70K steps. If I met that goal my weight loss was pretty constant, if I didn’t it would level out and if I don’t get over 5K I typically gain.

- I work 10 hours a day
-I’m remodeling my house
-had to go back to the desk job
-it’s dark
-it’s raining
-it’s snowing
-it’s muddy
-it’s been freezing at night

Got any more excuses to add to this post???

nphunter

WKR
- I work 10 hours a day
-I’m remodeling my house
-had to go back to the desk job
-it’s dark
-it’s raining
-it’s snowing
-it’s muddy
-it’s been freezing at night

Got any more excuses to add to this post???
I’m sure I can think of a few more. My point was it really doesn’t take much exercise to stay healthy if its constant. I realize a person has to make it a priority, it’s defiantly easier to get motivated when it’s 70deg and sunny. We could all be exercising instead of staring at Rokslide. I’ve defiantly been lazy the last few months and need to hold myself accountable, thanks for the positive words.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m sure I can think of a few more. My point was it really doesn’t take much exercise to stay healthy if its constant. I realize a person has to make it a priority, it’s defiantly easier to get motivated when it’s 70deg and sunny. We could all be exercising instead of staring at Rokslide. I’ve defiantly been lazy the last few months and need to hold myself accountable, thanks for the positive words.

It’s like -20 here where I live, shot is covered in snow and ice. I guess I’m lucky I don’t have to work 10 hour days or commute. I was just pointing out, the guy is looking for workout ideas, not excuses to not work out.

nphunter

WKR
I wasn’t trying to give him excuses, sorry it came across like that, I edited my original post. I was really was just trying to say that something as little as walking during lunch and with the family everyday after work will make a huge difference vs sitting around doing nothing.

My wife is a marathon runner and works out all year round and runs everyday, she qualified and we went to NYC half in 2019. A unmotivated person finds an accuse to become less motivated and someone with drive or a goal will find a way to prevail and looks at those things as a challenge. My wife and my kids are my motivation to stay healthy.

Here’s a motivational video we put together training for NYC:

It’s like -20 here where I live, shot is covered in snow and ice. I guess I’m lucky I don’t have to work 10 hour days or commute. I was just pointing out, the guy is looking for workout ideas, not excuses to not work out.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I wasn’t trying to give him excuses, sorry it came across like that. I was really was just trying to say that something as little as walking during lunch and with the family everyday after work will make a huge difference vs sitting around doing nothing.

My wife is a marathon runner and works out all year round and runs everyday, she qualified and we went to NYC half in 2019. A unmotivated person finds an accuse to become less motivated and someone with drive or a goal will find a way to prevail and looks at those things as a challenge. My wife and my kids are my motivation to stay healthy.

Here’s a motivational video we put together training for NYC:

That’s awesome, you should be proud, it looks like you have a great healthy family that says active.

Standing desk and desk treadmill. . . Or standing desk and walk on your lunch break and for 5-10 min every hour.

It's not a miracle or anything but it will me much better than just sitting!

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Could you keep a kettlebell in the office or at home and do a minimalist workout like pavels simple and sinister either before taking a shower in the morning or in the office before heading home, those workouts usually take about 20 minutes and while they won’t turn you into a super athlete they will build a bit of strength and some cardio.

A standing desk saved my back, I added a pull up tower in my office and rotate pull ups, dips and leg lifts while on calls. I'm going to add that preseason ski conditioning leg blaster now. Good thing no one else comes to the office right now, it's like my own personal gym.

S.Clancy

WKR
If I were you I would schedule my hard training days on the weekends, then have a light training day or 2 mid week. That way you can use all that sitting around as a recovery period, get in the hours on the weekend, and get some lighter volume in mid week. An under desk treadmill will help with cardio and recovery during the week

Here's another idea. A full 5 set leg blaster workout takes me ~12 minutes, and is a great leg workout. Do that once or twice a day for a break (might need to break it up so you don't sweat through work clothes), throw in pushups, pullups, planks on non leg days. All doable within the constraints of quick workday breaks.

Wow!!! I love this! Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk