Steady Tripod for Pentax 80 spotter

Hello,

I have a Pentax PF 80 Ed scope with a Pentax zoom eye piece.

I picked up a Optex TP160 tripod for it thinking it would be sufficient. It has worked out pretty well except for when I took it out for astronomy. It was not user friendly when tilting the scope upwards for viewing; I found it very unsteady when panning, And hard to get to lock on to celestial objects as it would drop easily. I also found it a bit short in certain circumstances (a few extra inches would be nice - please don’t make this a a what she said moment).

I have been told a pan head it better than a ball head for spotters. But what good quality pan head would you recommend to me for astronomy, as well as regular terrestrial. I’m trying not to spend anymore than 200-300 CAD (including 15% sales tax) if possible; I would be willing to spend a bit more if required for the ideal tripod.

Thanks in advance.

Wapiti1

WKR
My preference is a fluid video head. The Manfrotto BeFree, Benro S2, or similar. I have a $40 3pod Q2 that is surprisingly good for the price.

All have enough tilt to be usable for astronomy.

Jeremy

The BEST is the Gitzo 2 way fluid head. Normally $319.99. We have it on special through 12/7/19 for members here for $279.99

Give me a call. That will more then do the job. While the Benroe and Promaster are excellent heads as is the Sirui, the Gitzo is at an entirely different level

OP
S
The BEST is the Gitzo 2 way fluid head. Normally $319.99. We have it on special through 12/7/19 for members here for $279.99

Give me a call. That will more then do the job. While the Benroe and Promaster are excellent heads as is the Sirui, the Gitzo is at an entirely different level

Hello Doug,

thank you, I’ve heard great things about it.
I’ve been thinking about going with a specific manfrotto setup though (MVK502055XPRO3) Here in Canada I can get it for 490CAD+ tax and including shipping. I am also in the market for a Kowa BD ii 6.5x32 XD (I can get these for 485 CAD + tax and including shipping). I understand you sell product from both of these manufactures. If you could work out a combo deal on these two items and PM me the details, I might jump at it (assuming you can ship these items to Canada). If it helps I am service member (para military).