Steak Dinner- what’re you getting?

def90

WKR
I hate "Steakhouses". You pay a premium price for a lump of meat and then you pay for a family sized portion of some shitty vegetable, a baked potatoe and a salad ala carte style.

I would rather eat at a restaurant that has something like a Tenderloin in a red wine pan sauce served with x and y.. basically an entire meal on a plate where everything has been planned to go together as one cohesive dinner.

sndmn11

WKR
I hate "Steakhouses". You pay a premium price for a lump of meat and then you pay for a family sized portion of some shitty vegetable, a baked potatoe and a salad ala carte style.

I would rather eat at a restaurant that has something like a Tenderloin in a red wine pan sauce served with x and y.. basically an entire meal on a plate where everything has been planned to go together as one cohesive dinner.

Like tamale, relleno, and enchilada, with rice.

I can't remember the last time I went out for steak.

Blasphemy.
Was raised in the Midwest on corn and grain fed beef--never knew then just how bad it was; a travesty.
Finally realized how beef should taste when we moved West, now we raise grass-fed beef.
And we pre-sell every ounce we raise.

Same could be said for game. Acorn or corn-fed deer doesn't even compare to natural grass and browsed deer and elk. It's why elk is so good. They are grass eaters.

Big difference in grass fed and grass finished.

If you like something that just made it by on grass I feel bad for you.
A properly finished carcass you won't tell the difference of grass or grain, but the producer will know the difference in time.

Jon C

FNG
View attachment 352412Here’s the scenario, you and your spouse are going out to the areas premier steak house. You’ve got 300$ burning a hole in your pocket and you’ve got an appetite for steak. Based on the attached list, whats your order looking like? Assume 20$ per cocktail or glass of winView attachment 352412Here’s the scenario, you and your spouse are going out to the areas premier steak house. You’ve got 300$ burning a hole in your pocket and you’ve got an appetite for steak. Based on the attached list, whats your order looking like? Assume 20$ per cocktail or glass of wi
I would have to try the snow aged wagyu if I had money burning a whole in my pocket!
View attachment 352412Here’s the scenario, you and your spouse are going out to the areas premier steak house. You’ve got 300$ burning a hole in your pocket and you’ve got an appetite for steak. Based on the attached list, whats your order looking like? Assume 20$ per cocktail or glass of wine.
I’m getting sea bass,brussels sprouts and French onion soup. Wife’s getting fillet with shrimp topper and lobster mac and cheese. Probably get a bourbon old fashioned and the wife would get a gin and tonic or two.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Never go to a steakhouse. Make our own. When we go out we usually go do something we don’t make at home.

Plus, looking at the menu, I’d need a second job to eat out!

Broomd

WKR
Big difference in grass fed and grass finished.

If you like something that just made it by on grass I feel bad for you.
A properly finished carcass you won't tell the difference of grass or grain, but the producer will know the difference in time.
Of course there is. We grain supplement for one month to finish before locker hanging, our beef hung 21 days this year, Oct 20 until Nov.10th.
And there's a huge difference in corn or exclusively grain-fed beef, and grass fed. The former is garbage in comparison and it isn't natural. Nobody wants that crap here, it's largely an Midwestern and Eastern thing.
To each his own, but my family never knew quality beef until we moved West. When we started growing a bit of beef we got a bit more serious about it.

Moving on, sidetracked enough. We won't change any minds here.

Zappaman

WKR
On the topic (but eating at home), I find that that my closest market for beef is usually best to hit around 3pm, later in the week (after the Wednesday ad deals) when I often find marked down T-bones, ribeyes, and strips for under $9 a lb. "reduced". It's usually choice grade and I find it funny that most people don't understand "tenderness" CAN be felt right through the package! If my thumb can't sink 1/2 way into the cut... it's TOUGH!

Tenderness is mostly genetic and meat today is graded that way as my buddy (with 350 head here in Kansas) sells 85% "choice" each year (the Tyson rep HAS his number!). He is meticulous about the cows he adds to his herd, and even makes his own feed (his mill is getting old though). I appreciate this as a 7th generation cattle rancher (retired 1994).

Beef (fat) is great, I use boxed Cargill fat for ALL my deer adding in the flavor of beef to all my deer I eat. I grind in 10% with my deer's rib meat every year. I will take a chunk of beef fat and reduce it before grilling a steak in the black iron skillet (like tonight, the back-strap off my 8 yr old buck shot Wednesday melted in my mouth!) Hey, I LOVE $25 a lb prime like anyone... but my Kansas deer and good beef fat are just as good... because they are eaten at home with an animal I harvested.

If I eat out, it's Texas Roadhouse. I order the 20 oz. prime rib (rare- seared one minute a side) and share bites with the wife. With bread, salads, and a few drinks each we usually leave out on about $75. The prime rib at any Texas Roadhouse (between Iowa and Taxes) has always been tender and they usually get it right (*sit at the bar- ask the bartender to make it happen- they usually will).

Sadly the old great steakhouses I grew up on (Zintner's in San Angelo brings great memories!) are all but gone down in Texas. Of couse the place isn't what it was when I was there 40 years ago- toll roads and all. But I am glad to get down there for pig hnting a few times a year- nowhere near the toll-roads ;)

Broomd

WKR
On the topic (but eating at home), I find that that my closest market for beef is usually best to hit around 3pm, later in the week (after the Wednesday ad deals) when I often find marked down T-bones, ribeyes, and strips for under $9 a lb. "reduced". It's usually choice grade and I find it funny that most people don't understand "tenderness" CAN be felt right through the package! If my thumb can't sink 1/2 way into the cut... it's TOUGH!

Tenderness is mostly genetic and meat today is graded that way as my buddy (with 350 head here in Kansas) sells 85% "choice" each year (the Tyson rep HAS his number!). He is meticulous about the cows he adds to his herd, and even makes his own feed (his mill is getting old though). I appreciate this as a 7th generation cattle rancher (retired 1994).

Beef (fat) is great, I use boxed Cargill fat for ALL my deer adding in the flavor of beef to all my deer I eat. I grind in 10% with my deer's rib meat every year. I will take a chunk of beef fat and reduce it before grilling a steak in the black iron skillet (like tonight, the back-strap off my 8 yr old buck shot Wednesday melted in my mouth!) Hey, I LOVE $25 a lb prime like anyone... but my Kansas deer and good beef fat are just as good... because they are eaten at home with an animal I harvested.

If I eat out, it's Texas Roadhouse. I order the 20 oz. prime rib (rare- seared one minute a side) and share bites with the wife. With bread, salads, and a few drinks each we usually leave out on about $75. The prime rib at any Texas Roadhouse (between Iowa and Taxes) has always been tender and they usually get it right (*sit at the bar- ask the bartender to make it happen- they usually will).

Sadly the old great steakhouses I grew up on (Zintner's in San Angelo brings great memories!) are all but gone down in Texas. Of couse the place isn't what it was when I was there 40 years ago- toll roads and all. But I am glad to get down there for pig hnting a few times a year- nowhere near the toll-roads ;)
That's an all around cool posting, thanks for sharing....

KsRancher

WKR
I have a freezer full of elk that I estimate around 4-5k per pound. So yeah
Oh man, that one hurts. It took me 5 tags over a 10yr period to get an elk. Sitting down for our first elk meal my wife tells the kids "kids, this will probably be the most expensive meal you will ever eat in your life"

Last edited:

Zappaman

WKR
Oh man, that one hurts. It took me 5 tags over a 10yr period to get an elk. Sitting down for our first elk meal my wife tells the kids "kids, this will probably be the most expensive you will ever eat in your life"
And you provided free-range meat to your family while getting good exercise! I tell my wife the first cancer bill starts at $50k... She's heard it about 50 times ;) But she loves elk, deer, wild turkey, wild bore, and so I'm lucky to have a "smart wife" who supports my hunting 100%. I know I'm a lucky guy here too!

KsRancher

WKR
And you provided free-range meat to your family while getting good exercise! I tell my wife the first cancer bill starts at $50k... She's heard it about 50 times ;) But she loves elk, deer, wild turkey, wild bore, and so I'm lucky to have a "smart wife" who supports my hunting 100%. I know I'm a lucky guy here too!
Mine is very supportive of hunting. She just likes to poke at me. She even helps put some meat in the freezer.

Attachments

• 20201212_081608 (1).jpg
    20201212_081608 (1).jpg
    410.7 KB · Views: 50