Steel shot for turkey?

Getting my spring turkey gear in order and I have a bunch of 3 inch #4 steel. Is this stuff reasonable turkey medicine. My shots are 40 yards and under and it seems to pattern well in my turkey gun.

My girlfriend shot her last two birds with a 20ga and 3" #4 steel. Get them close and you're good to go. Steel #4 is basically the equal of lead #6, which is a popular turkey shot.

codym

WKR
I would pattern it. I’m betting 30 will be probably good. Steel patterns tighter than lead and can really show blown patterns when shot out of tight chokes. If your gonna use something more than a full choke make sure it is rated for steel.

40 yards is pretty long shot for ducks with#4 steel for me. Only reason I use steel is because I can't use lead, have switched over to heavy shot for most duck hunting but still use steel on woodies a lot. Steel won't carry or penetrate as well as lead or heavy shot. I would only use it if I was in a bad need for Turkey shot. Would give to a duck hunting buddy if you don't duck hunt.

Reactions: BFR

Tod osier

WKR
Getting my spring turkey gear in order and I have a bunch of 3 inch #4 steel. Is this stuff reasonable turkey medicine. My shots are 40 yards and under and it seems to pattern well in my turkey gun.

There just aren’t that many pellets in there (volume of steel). It is going to loose steam around 40, but I think the density will be too low well before that from what I’ve tried.

Thunder head

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't.
Sure wouldn't shoot at them at 40 yards..

Its not enough too just knock them down. You need to killem dead.

fatlander

WKR
Lead and hevi shot are relatively cheap. Tss is pretty cheap when you actually think about it. I wouldn’t go in the words after turkeys with steel shot, it’s the worst thing you could take in a honesty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Austink47

WKR
I would not use steel for turkey. I kill 2 birds in my home state maybe 2 more out of state. 4 shells a year. Well worth buying a box of dedicated turkey killers. Will steel kill them at close range, sure but why risk it? Also be careful my extra full turkey choke says no steel shot.

aaron34

FNG
Like everyone else I agree steel is kind of a last resort type thing. I have used hevi shot, and the blended stuff for the turkeys I've shot. I would use lead but California is restricting everything to non-lead so I have to work with what I got.

isu22andy

WKR
I watched a guy roll one deader than a stone at 30 yards with a #2 steel. Lots of people stone ducks and honkers with #2 steel at 40-50 yards. I bet a turkey at 30 yard with #4 steel would be fine.

vanish

WKR
Wife didn't want us using lead anymore and I didn't want to pony up for TSS, so we just used some steel from duck season last year. Killed four turkeys plenty dead but we were not trying to reach out there for them either.

MadDawg

Lil-Rokslider
Just stick with Heavy shot, ive killed two turkeys at 60+ yards, one 62, one 66, with my 20 gauge Remington 870. If it aint broke...

Billinsd

WKR
I don't think steel shot plays well with turkey choke tubes. Steel shoot would be the last thing I would want to use as far as performance.

OXN939

WKR
I'm guessing the OP is not referring to using steel with a turkey choke; I've heard a lot of guys ask if they can use their same waterfowl setup (gun, choke and steel shells) to kill a turkey. The answer is yes- I've done it and it did the job fine. Definitely pattern your gun before hunting with it, but as long as that is good to go, there is nothing difficult from a terminal ballistics perspective about penetrating a turkey skull. You probably pick up another 5-10 yards of effective range by using the ammo made specifically for turkey.

Rich M

WKR
OXN said it well.

If that's what you want to use - and it patterns well, then use it. Geese are tougher than turkey IMO.

Just make sure your shot size is legal. Most states say #4 is the largest you can hunt with. As said before steel isnt best but will work.

Holocene

WKR
Only if you want to shoot birds real up close and personal. Meaning, about 20 yards and in.

Using a lead (or tungsten non toxic such as Hevi, TSS or Federal Heavyweight 7) will double or triple your max effective range. Why not pony up the $15-30 to do that?

Just because someone has killed turkeys with whatever shot size steel does not mean it's the ideal shot material for the task at hand.

It's been said before. We spend a lot of money on food, gear, gas, time off from work -- ammo is a small percentage of the total cost involved in a hunt. It makes no sense to skimp.

Use lead at the least -- the tungsten stuff if you have to have the best. Pattern always. If you want to save money, find a closer hunting spot and spend less on gas to get there.

Last edited:

LineandBuck

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using Apex ammunition for coyotes, ducks and turkeys for two years and I can't say enough about how well the tungsten works. It costs an arm and a leg but for turkeys a 5 pack should do you depending on limits where you are.

I've dropped coyotes at 90 yards dead right there.

norcal7.3

Lil-Rokslider
Like it was said before, make sure the pattern is on point. If you are dead set on using your steel on turkeys, then be aware of what that means. I would draw a hard line and not shoot past 30. And to me, that makes it more fun. Keeping your distance limited only makes sure the bird is getting the full payload