Steel Shotgun Shells!! I wrote a post on your opinion. What Is the best Shotgun Shell to use for Water Foul.. In Reply!

Mike76

FNG
Gentleman, Thank You for all the advise and comments!
I have been shooting 3" number 3 s in Hevi Steel. fortunately I have had pretty good luck shooting it out of my Benelli 3.5 28 in barrel SBE11.
I did as most have suggested and pattern all my shells and came to find out that the Hevi Steel done the best job out of my SBE11.
I have been hearing so much about the BOSS and also copper coated shells that I was wondering how many would bring up those shells.
BOSS<> Hevi shot Products.
I just got back from Northern CA coast hunting Brant which we don't seem to get many here in OR.
I should say a huntable number..
For those whom do not know the species they are a small sea goose that forage on eel grass as being there main staple and sand in the local Bays for digesting the grass.
They do not need fresh water as they have a system that changes the salt water to fresh. ( How ever that works)
Sounds strange but brought to point out from a local Bio many yrs ago.
So shooting my number 3s over decoys set at 33 yrds they did exceptionally well.
But on crips on the water at 40+ was a little different, and yes i can and do understand the difference there.
So i guess I'd like a shell that will shoot well at 40 as the Hevi Steel does great at 30-35 but 40 they open up a great deal, as does my federals 3" 2 s.
So I'm thinking the Boss or Hevi Tungsten with a higher density will work much better being much closer to a lead shell.
Any comments on what I'm trying to say here? Any suggestions? All suggestions are greatly appreciated.
I have tried the Federal, Hevi Steel, Winchester which was terrible as was the Remington. I did shoot the Kent and it was Ok but nothing as well as the Hevi Steel. everything shot was with 2s 4s 3s. I'd love to shoot 6s that were coated with copper or a tungsten.
Also. Chokes another issue, I'm using the Benelli chokes and using a Modified choke.
When we shot lead that is all I shot was 6s and never had a problem out of my Browning A5 32in barrel 3in.
long time ago. I'm trying to re justifie so any and all help would be appreciated..
Thank you gentleman hunter 73

Holocene

WKR
Unless you are rich, tungsten is a non-starter. It's like $6/shell for all tungsten loads. Maybe even more now. Okay for turkey, but for ducks it's overkill.

Read the DaveinAz blog for all you ever need to know about this choice. What's happening to you in the field is consistent with his research and the class Tom Roster chart. Some scoff at the chart, but it's a good starting place.

On paper, steel #3 is not adequate for consistent kills at 40 yards on big or tough ducks. Steel #2 is assuming you have enough pellets in the shell, and with a 3" shell you should.

The simplest and cheapest solution is to step up to 3" steel #1 in a high-quality load. They are harder to find, but loads are available from Federal, Fiocchi, and Kent.

Bismuth cost quite a bit more per hot, but BOSS bismuth #4 should be right between steel #2 and #3 in its flight ballistics and get you to the 45 yard mark.

Why not try steel #1 for a year and see if it gets you what you need? We hammer mallards in the field conditions you're describing. When I (or others) shoot #3s, there is clearly more wounding and puffing birds when taking shots in the 35-50 yard range. When shooting #2 and especially #1 late season I am seeing fewer lost ducks and having fewer problems with birds on the water at 40-45 yards. Boss Bismuth in straight 3 or their 3/5 blend is also an option.

I close all this by saying I focus on mallards where I live with an occasional drake pintail or gadwall. If the day turns into a teal shoot (which can happen often in Oregon), then with the #1 and #2 shells I lose great pellet count for those little fast birds out at 35-40 so will usually carry some steel #4 or #3 shells for the teals.

Last edited:

gearguywb

WKR
I switched to Boss a couple of years ago and won't be looking back. Shot heavy metal and Black Cloud prior to that, and I hunt a lot of waterfowl during the year.

I wanted a shell with more lethality, especially when hunting over an open pool in an iced up field. I needed the birds to be stone dead and drop into the hole.

I use the Boss 3/5 combo for most duck hunting and the #2's later in the year or for bigger birds.

Steel is garbage. BOSS is all that gets fed to my duck guns. The only challenge is availability....when it is available you gotta buy the bulk packs, and do it quick

Man, I must have a real problem or very really lucky. Cheap steel is all I need.

I play with HTL stuff in sub-gauges, but steel works just fine when you hit them correctly. Infact, I have gone to smaller pellets than I use to think I needed. It's all about getting hits, and a couple of pellets to the CNS is what it takes to real stone them.

Bismuth is only moderately better than steel, I use it in older guns that I don't want to put steel thru, but otherwise the gains aren't much. Hevi has mislead the consumer so long on what their offerings are actually made of that I won't buy any. The old Remington HD was nice stuff, but overkill.

The gimmick stuff of square shot and spreader wads are just that. I like a little more speed from steel, but nothing crazy. Never had trouble with any steel as long as I did my part.

KurtR

WKR
Get a dog and then you don’t have to worry about shooting them on the water. Unless your shooting sea ducks.

alex_b

FNG
If you are trying to replicate lead, bismuth is probably your best factory option. I have only used steel shot and it works well for me through an IC or LM/SK2 choke. The less constricting chokes work better for steel.

eamyrick

WKR
I shoot Boss even though it can be a pain to order as they are frequently out of stock. I did a 3 day crane hunt with my 20 gauge O/U last year and killed a pile of them with 3 inch #5s. Ordered a case of Boss 3 inch #2s for my 12 this year. All the other money spent on waterfowl, shells are a small fraction.

mwebs

WKR
If your on a special hunt for a special bird then go all out. If your just hunting your regular spot 2 steels are all ya need, I did buy hevi this year because it was all I could find. Seems like it hits a little harder when you hit them.. Watched buddies pass on a lot of shots in ND this year because they didn’t want to shoot that $4 shell haha.

KurtR

WKR
If your on a special hunt for a special bird then go all out. If your just hunting your regular spot 2 steels are all ya need, I did buy hevi this year because it was all I could find. Seems like it hits a little harder when you hit them.. Watched buddies pass on a lot of shots in ND this year because they didn’t want to shoot that $4 shell haha.
Maybe it will cut back the sky busters or shooting on the swing which is a win for everyone

Tf44

FNG
I prefer federal black cloud 2 or 3 shot for pretty much everything. I've dropped big Canadians to small teal and if I ever miss one it's my fault not the shells.

dtrkyman

WKR
I remember a shooting coach once talking about steel shot out performing 99 percent of the guys shooting it!

Big issue is lack of guys patterning their guns!

With that said there is a huge difference between steel and the "hevi shot" stuff, I hunted field geese for years in northern Illinois, big late season jokers, I found a bunch of Federal heavy weight, Hevi shot and Winchesters old xtended range cheap, that stuff is incredible, geese were dead on contact, no flopping no cripples!

A bunch of the guys I hunted fields with shot T shot, pure junk, have never seen so many cripples, my dog had fun but there were always geese stumbling around the field with broken wings after a volley. Again not really the fault of the shot, they just assumed you needed big shot for geese. I assume patterns had too many holes in them.

I like 2,3,4 shot for duck, I shoot decoying birds and rarely have an issue. I am about out of steel so I am on the waiting list for Boss.

Get yourself some large paper, like closeout wrapping paper, grab your gun, chokes and several different loads, you will be amazed at the difference in some patterns. Winchester Drylok shoot the best out of my Benelli, your mileage may vary!

I remember a shooting coach once talking about steel shot out performing 99 percent of the guys shooting it!

Big issue is lack of guys patterning their guns!

With that said there is a huge difference between steel and the "hevi shot" stuff, I hunted field geese for years in northern Illinois, big late season jokers, I found a bunch of Federal heavy weight, Hevi shot and Winchesters old xtended range cheap, that stuff is incredible, geese were dead on contact, no flopping no cripples!

A bunch of the guys I hunted fields with shot T shot, pure junk, have never seen so many cripples, my dog had fun but there were always geese stumbling around the field with broken wings after a volley. Again not really the fault of the shot, they just assumed you needed big shot for geese. I assume patterns had too many holes in them.

I like 2,3,4 shot for duck, I shoot decoying birds and rarely have an issue. I am about out of steel so I am on the waiting list for Boss.

Get yourself some large paper, like closeout wrapping paper, grab your gun, chokes and several different loads, you will be amazed at the difference in some patterns. Winchester Drylok shoot the best out of my Benelli, your mileage may vary!

T shot is a crippler.

BBB is on the edge of having enough pellets to fill a pattern.

With birds it's usually not as much a penetration issue as it is a numbers game. Gotta have enough pellets to fill the circle, evenly, then put that circle in the right spot.

I like the beak or cheekpatch.

I think most hunters stand a not much chance of hitting anything past 30 anyways.

dtrkyman

WKR
Agreed Billy, out to 30 yards I am lethal, at distance beyond 35 I would say I am slightly better than pathetic, haha.

I just do not shoot far very often.

The big advantage in the heavier than lead stuff is the shot size, the federal Heavy weight I use 4s for geese and they just do not make it through that pattern, the stuff is pure evil on em! The Heavy shot and Winchester were number 2 and amazing stuff as well.

I personally am not throwing 5 dollar bills at ducks, boss has some loads at 1.50 per and that is not much more than premium steel.

I was fortunate enough to meet a shooting instructor when I worked at a gun shop, he pointed out some simple things so I could help customers, most of it boiled down to gun fit, he basically said part of the reason I picked up wing shooting so easily was due to my stature, he basically said shot guns in general are made for me, he was a large dude and showed me how with his big melon he need his stock cast drastically so he was looking down the barrel, me with my slim melon had no issues.

I also learned to wing shoot on doves, so luckily the gun fit was good and I shot a lot of doves!

Agreed Billy, out to 30 yards I am lethal, at distance beyond 35 I would say I am slightly better than pathetic, haha.

I just do not shoot far very often.

The big advantage in the heavier than lead stuff is the shot size, the federal Heavy weight I use 4s for geese and they just do not make it through that pattern, the stuff is pure evil on em! The Heavy shot and Winchester were number 2 and amazing stuff as well.

I personally am not throwing 5 dollar bills at ducks, boss has some loads at 1.50 per and that is not much more than premium steel.

I was fortunate enough to meet a shooting instructor when I worked at a gun shop, he pointed out some simple things so I could help customers, most of it boiled down to gun fit, he basically said part of the reason I picked up wing shooting so easily was due to my stature, he basically said shot guns in general are made for me, he was a large dude and showed me how with his big melon he need his stock cast drastically so he was looking down the barrel, me with my slim melon had no issues.

I also learned to wing shoot on doves, so luckily the gun fit was good and I shot a lot of doves!

Yeah, the HTL stuff generally increases the pellet count, which I think accounts for why everyone is so impressed with it.

I'm still sitting on several hundred rounds of the federal HW and some original wingmaster HD. Just don't use it much tho.

I pull the shot and use it in my 28 when I'm feeling like being special.

slvrslngr

WKR
Instead of changing ammo, a solution might be trying some different chokes. The right choke for your gun and ammo choice might make the biggest difference.

TristanJH

Lil-Rokslider
I'm always so glad to see this conversation being had. I hate crippling and losing birds and have invested heavily in trying to find a solution. A couple of years ago I did a little experiment that was more centered on efficacy and found out a lot - you can read up on it here.

To state the obvious, tungsten ITX and HW are pretty unbeatable. Bismuth is considerably better than steel, and the pattern advantage of choosing a heavier-than-steel option can be HUGE. That said, Kent Fasteel is pretty decent, especially for the price.

Since this test, I have found BOSS and genuinely think it offers the best balance of performance for the money. I shoot it for both upland and waterfowl and really like the #5's. No sh*t, they've made my 28 gauge my go-to for pretty much everything, up to and including big Canadians within a reasonable range.
For a dedicated waterfowl gun, I'd strongly consider the #3/#5 Duplex and shoot it at everything.

I've also started to reload 15 and 18g/cc TSS for some special applications, and while #7 tss will stone birds at wild ranges, you have to get it to pattern and I'm having a hard time thinking that it's worth the trouble.

Attachments

• IMG_5260.jpg
    IMG_5260.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 5