Steel Target Suggestions

treillw

WKR
I'd like to get some steel to play with. Would like to use it for handguns and rifles. Biggest gun I have currently is a 300 win, but I might get a 338 in the future. I like to play out to 1000 and beyond with the rifles. Handguns are just typical handgun stuff.

Any suggestions on plate size, thickness, and manufacturer? Any low cost options out there? Anything you've learned?

I want something that will last, but don't want to spend a ton. 1/2" AR500 seems to be the recipe for larger rifles.

Thanks!

Graves14

WKR
I've had great luck with MGM Targets. They are manufactured here in Idaho, super high quality, and they sponsor a lot of major matches. I use their MLS 2x4 setups for pistol and rifle work.

Shipping is usually a huge hidden cost with steel and they offer free shipping on orders over $250. You can use the discount code "COMEBACK10" for 10% off too.

Haven't purchased any fresh steel in a while so I'm not sure what the current best deals are.

When I was last buying, Hang Fast targets were as economical as any and they are a great hanging system. Extremely simple and you get a lot of movement and loud ring with impacts. I always liked T-post set ups rather than having a bunch of different racks.

I think most of mine are 3/8" but I don't typically shoot steel inside 300 yards either.

Look at XSteel targets. Great steel and good prices. They even have 3/4" stuff for that 338

Truaxdw

Lil-Rokslider
Shootsteel.com I use their gong stand kit. Easy to change the gong size to match the vitals area for the target animal. Fun for kids too.

The best targets on the market is MGM and as said previous, they are one of the best sponsors of matches out their. The owners are shooters and know what what makes a good target.

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
MGM has a lot of offerings and they are very solid targets. JC Steel targets is another one that's in Washington and is owned by Jake Vibbert who is a top tier PRS shooter. MK Machining is also another solid company that's based out of Missouri.

rcalmus

FNG
Like you I didn’t want to spend more than I needed but wanted ar500. I went down to my local welding shop and told them what sizes I wanted and that I didn’t care if the cut were perfect just didn’t want sharp edges. They cut it up, blew a few holes in them for me. Still had some good money into it but nothing like other services.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have used a bunch of 1/2" AR500 8" rounds from https://shootingtargets7.com/?msclkid=2238ada0eb9b1353b35ecd168c734011&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=BRAND&utm_term=shooting targets 7&utm_content=BRAND

I have them setup as described in the following
And I don't shoot them with 06-class cartridges closer than 100yds. I'll run them at 50yds for the 223, 10yds for handgun.
Thanks for linking to these guys. Just got a few AR500 gongs in different sizes at a nice discount!

I just went to a local machine/fab shop rummaged thru their 1/2" scrap pile, they charged by the lb. Knocked the rough edges down with a gringer welded some chains to the back and they are good to go.