Steep country shelter

mlebarre

FNG
I'm looking at getting a new shelter for some fairly steep country in Idaho. I have been trying to decide between a tarp or standard shelter. This will be for one person plus gear, and i'm not trying to go ultralight just trying to improve on my current set up. I'm not trying to break the bank but have no issue paying for a quality product. Thoughts?

I'm looking at getting a new shelter for some fairly steep country in Idaho. I have been trying to decide between a tarp or standard shelter. This will be for one person plus gear, and i'm not trying to go ultralight just trying to improve on my current set up. I'm not trying to break the bank but have no issue paying for a quality product. Thoughts?

If cost is not a huge consideration, why not go UL? Obviously, assuming that the UL shelter provides proper coverage and comfort. My personal opinion is, I want to travel as light as I possibly can while still being able to be safe and comfortable (sometimes that’s walking a thin line), and if I have to spend a little more money, I’m okay with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top147

Lil-Rokslider
If cost is not a huge consideration, why not go UL? Obviously, assuming that the UL shelter provides proper coverage and comfort. My personal opinion is, I want to travel as light as I possibly can while still being able to be safe and comfortable (sometimes that’s walking a thin line), and if I have to spend a little more money, I’m okay with that.

Which ul shelters do you have in mind for recommendation?

OP
M

mlebarre

FNG
Good point on the UL factor, I guess due to some bad experiences in the past I have stayed away from UL strictly from a durability standpoint. I have been researching some larger tarps but was worried the footprint may be too big for some of the areas I might end up.

I’m am looking for something similar and have been doing a research for awhile! I will be following this thread closely. I have a seek outside Cimarron and it is a little big for some of the steep country we have in the great state of Idaho imo. I’m looking to get into a floored shelter with a small footprint that can still fit a long/wide pad and gear. I want something to work from April-early October when the bugs are out and the Cimarron with stove is overkill.

I personally am drawn to the Tarptent Rainbow, seems to be a good option with a small footprint and not a complete coffin. Just not sure if I may want to bump into something with more of a double wall design instead.

Me and my buddy have shared this two man tent on backpacking trips the last 7-8 yeas. We have had it in sun, pouring rain, wind, and snow. We have encountered a few areas that were hard to find enuff flat ground to set it up. For one guy you would have plenty of room for pack and gear inside the tent, it also has a small vestibule on each side.it packs down pretty small and weighs 5.5 lbs. I believe it is a Kelty 2 man tent.top pic shows tent set up. Bottom pick tent is in the silver water proof stuff sack strapped on top of my buddies mountain warrior.BE84C78A-285D-4FB1-88DE-3A9BCD5BD20D.jpeg382A2E23-C3A8-4025-A678-E35C2D74915B.jpeg

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Silex works well when pitch space is small. Foot print is a 7 by 7 square roughly .. or about the same as most small 2 person tents

I personally am drawn to the Tarptent Rainbow, seems to be a good option with a small footprint and not a complete coffin. Just not sure if I may want to bump into something with more of a double wall design instead.

The Rainbow is hard to beat for what you're looking for ... however there's a heck of a deal on a new Hilleberg Soulo in the classifieds.. a little more weight but a bombproof tent

Which ul shelters do you have in mind for recommendation?

For the last couple years now I’ve been using a DCF Locus Gear Hapi. It’s plenty big enough for me and all my gear or two and a little bit of gear. Super light shelter that is also very storm worthy.

Top147

Lil-Rokslider
For the last couple years now I’ve been using a DCF Locus Gear Hapi. It’s plenty big enough for me and all my gear or two and a little bit of gear. Super light shelter that is also very storm worthy.

I have also been looking at your other setup with much interest; the dcf patrol tarp with bathtub and bivy. I feel like I need to be talked out of it. Have you been utilizing that setup much? When or why would you run the Hapi over your tarp combo? Does your tarp combo see more use?

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Steep country shelter can mean a few things.

You can be looking at weight or footprint. If weight, then a 12 oz DCF Silex would work well, or a sil version at 17 oz.

If footprint, maybe a bivy bag if you're sleeping in mule deer beds on 50° slopes, or a hammock if there are trees. If you can find a 10 foot flat spot you can pitch a lot of small tents.

Mike 338

WKR
I've spend some time on hog backs and getting a good tight pitch is tough. A hammock would be more than fine but trees seem never to be the right distance, size or something. Seems like something free standing that you can guy-out with rocks would be the ticket.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ I'd agree with that assessment; steep usually equates to more "weather" and usually the need for a small footprint

a small, light free standing shelter would provide protection from tougher weather and doesn't take up a lot of real estate

I have successfully used an eVent bivy in steep country, but also lucked out on weather

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member

There's steep country in Idaho???????????? Damn...…..o_O

Randy

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
So, my hunting partners and I basically use a small UL one person tent. A lot of the time, we literally are sleeping in elk or deer beds as that is all there is and if the weather is nice, we just cowboy out.....no real reason for a shelter.
Copper spur UL1 or 2 works great. Nemo hornet 1 or 2 also works.

Randy

I have also been looking at your other setup with much interest; the dcf patrol tarp with bathtub and bivy. I feel like I need to be talked out of it. Have you been utilizing that setup much? When or why would you run the Hapi over your tarp combo? Does your tarp combo see more use?

I actually don’t use the Patrol with a bivy since I installed the bathtub floor, and I have only used it for short (1-2 night), stints when I think the weather isn’t going to be too bad. I feel much more confident and comfortable under the Hapi when it comes to really bad weather, ie., heavy winds and rain. I also use the Hapi for extended mountain hunts, like 7-10 days, when I really have no clue what the weather will do over that period of time, and I need a shelter that’s able to provide enough full coverage for all my gear. I think the pyramid design is pretty hard to beat when it comes to nasty weather.

I’ve also used the Patrol for overnight stays away from spike camp, where I’m using the Hapi, and want to travel as fast and light as possible but still carry enough stuff for a comfortable over nighter.