Steese Highway, AK Help for FNG

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
Are there any Steese Highway veterans willing to share some pointers with a first timer? I’ve done several Taylor Highway hunts but it’s sounding like the herd is in the Northwest of the 40 mile range. Willing to trade other species spots for decent information. I’m just looking to get away from crowds and ORVs. Thanks.

The crowds will congregate heavily at 12 Mile Summit, Eagle Summit, and Mastodon Creek. If you want to avoid them, park where you have to hike through the trees, over a steep hill, etc. Usually a mile or so will do it. Go up the day before and camp off the road.

And this is one hunt where hunters orange isn't a bad plan.

carter33

WKR
Another vote for a little orange, even if its just a hat or beanie. If you have an atv heading out on the trails is usually a good way to have success but you will be competing with a lot of folks. Most don't like to hike in so if you go that route you should have a little more room to yourself. I am hoping the spot I plan on hiking into isn't atv accessible but I have been surprised before.

jhm2023

WKR
I did the Steese hunt once with my wife. I knew where the bou had been hanging out because I scouted several times while trying to go serve arrest warrants in Circle. We each got our bou down as soon as there was enough light to shoot. While we were skinning and quartering it turned into a war zone and you could hear rounds buzzing by overhead. It got to the point where we would lay down every time a caribou passed close to us because people would shoot in our direction and over our heads. Brought back some good Iraq and Afghanistan memories.