Steiner, Leupold, NF, Vortex...

2amd4life

FNG
Who’s had the best luck with what optic? I am new to long range shooting and would love some opinions! I currently have a NF 3.5-15x50. I’d like something a little bit higher power.

my question is what have you guys had the best luck with for long range optics? I know this is an expensive way to shoot, but I’m new at it and want the best optic to get the job done...1k+ yards.

thank you for all of your help and knowledge in advance! B get

Last edited:
I am going to guess that you don't "need" higher power. But we'll never know unless you tell us how you use your scope. What are you trying to hit at 1000 yards plus?

OP
2amd4life

2amd4life

FNG
I’m just wanting some opinions on what the best optic is for 1000 +

Dcrafton

WKR
Who’s had the best luck with what optic? I am new to long range shooting and would love some opinions! I currently have a NF 3.5-15x50. I’d like something a little bit higher power.

my question is what have you guys had the best luck with for long range optics? I know this is an expensive way to shoot, but I’m new at it and want the best optic to get the job done...1k+ yards.

thank you for all of your help and knowledge in advance! B get

I owned and used a few different brands.
First I would stay away from Vortex.
NF is a great scope (a little heavy) but tracks well.
Leupold in there higher end scopes are hard to beat. Clear, lots of vertical adjustment, tracks well.
March makes good scopes, US optics are awesome.
I currently have more leupolds (VX5hd) and will be getting another one soon. They work great for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bater

WKR
I too have a 3.5-15 NF and the NX8 4-32 was a fantastic upgrade for longer shots. Also love my 2.5-25 March for a lightweight hunting optic that is 1k+ capable. Lots of options and understand there’s going to be no consensus when you say “best”, lots of personal preference involved.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it would be our pleasure to discuss this with you and help figure out which would suit your intended use the best. If you've got a few minutes give us a call, 516-217-1000
Thanks

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider
I would recommend calling Camera Land. Just tell them exactly what you are wanting to use it for and they will give you a suggestion and will give you a good price. I did this when I bought my most recent scope. I ended up purchasing a Steiner GS3 and absolutely love it.

dmossu

Lil-Rokslider
Following this as I am in a similar situation. Trying to decide if I want to get the NF NX8 4-32 or save up and get the ATACR 4-16.

I’ve had NF SHV 5x20, NF ATACR 5x25, Vortex AMG 6x24, viper pst gen II 3x15, and demoed a Steiner TX5 3x15.
The shv had the worst eye relief ever. Absolutely hated that scope. The ATACR was great but incredibly heavy.
The tx5 had great easily adjustable turrets and better glass than the PST but heavy.
The pst is a great bargain and serves its purpose on my 6.5 creed that I hunt with and smack steel with out to 1,000 yards.
AMG has been great glass. It’s lighter than the ATACR, seems a bit more clear and bright, and I like the locking turrets. Just wish they had an option with no tree style reticle as I usually dial instead of hold over. I’m a big fan of NF but I feel like they are behind other manufacturer’s advancements by 2-5 years and they can get away with it because of their name. If you’re considering an ATACR, you should really take a look at the Steiner MX series. A good friend of mine has one and it blows his ATACR out of the water. So much so he sold his ATACR and bought two of the steiners.

B23

WKR
If you talk to many LR or ELR shooters I think most will agree they're willing to trade slightly better optics for spot on repeatable tracking and when it comes to that I don't know any scope that will track better than a NF.

If you talk to many LR or ELR shooters I think most will agree they're willing to trade slightly better optics for spot on repeatable tracking and when it comes to that I don't know any scope that will track better than a NF.
NF is definitely reliable. They have a much more stringent QA/QC process than other manufacturers. Vortex flaunts the quality of their warranty, NF flaunts their reliability. I’ve been pleased with my vortex scopes so far but to some extent, NF is going to have to update some of their features and offers to keep up with the rest of the industry. My old ‘99 F-250 with the 7.3L was really reliable, but I sure did enjoy my ‘16 F-250 with the 6.7L and all the features it had even with the risk of failures due to def and added electronics.

dmossu

Lil-Rokslider
Absolutely agree, I will sacrifice some clarity for reliability. I do also think the NXS, NX8, ATACR all would be reliable though, don't think one is necessarily better than the other in this respect
NF is definitely reliable. They have a much more stringent QA/QC process than other manufacturers. Vortex flaunts the quality of their warranty, NF flaunts their reliability. I’ve been pleased with my vortex scopes so far but to some extent, NF is going to have to update some of their features and offers to keep up with the rest of the industry. My old ‘99 F-250 with the 7.3L was really reliable, but I sure did enjoy my ‘16 F-250 with the 6.7L and all the features it had even with the risk of failures due to def and added electronics.
Both very good points haha.