Stellar Equipment Down Jackets? Any good?

xcutter

WKR
I've heard the guys on the Exo Mtn Gear Pod Cast talk about this company. I think Steve Speck uses one of there puffy' s. He talks about how light it is and how water proof the jacket is.

OP
FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not sure if I'm bold enough to be the first one to go in on one. It's not so easy to buy from a company that doesn't have great representation in North America. Hard to feel super confident when you may have to ship a return or warranty issue back to Europe. I also would like to support a US based company like say Stone Glacier, even though I know a lot of manufacturing takes place overseas for most US companies as well. The specs, design and features of the Stellar Eq down jackets sure are appealing though. I do like to just find the best that's out there. I feel like that gets our US companies to step up their games as well.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I recently came across some Ads for this company out of Sweden called Stellar Equipment. They have some down garments that have specs that would compete with anything out there currently. Does anyone have any experience with this company? I'm considering trying out that 1000 fill ultralight down hoody, but wonder if they're legit.

https://www.stellarequipment.com/product/m-ultralight-down-hood-olivegreen/

What is it that this product is offering that is unique?

OP
FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not sure there is anything especially unique. They have a 1000 fill ultralight down with dwr coated down and shell that looks pretty nice. I’m not sure if it would be any warmer that the SG Grumman. I just kept seeing ads pop up and wondered if it was a legitimate company with nice gear.
I will say I like the styling and color options.
I’m not the biggest fan of the color blocking on the SG.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’m not sure there is anything especially unique. They have a 1000 fill ultralight down with dwr coated down and shell that looks pretty nice. I’m not sure if it would be any warmer that the SG Grumman. I just kept seeing ads pop up and wondered if it was a legitimate company with nice gear.
I will say I like the styling and color options.
I’m not the biggest fan of the color blocking on the SG.

Gotcha.

The size large has 3.5 ounces of 1000 fill down. That’s roughly equivalent to 4.1 ounces of 850 fill down.

OP
FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
Gotcha.

The size large has 3.5 ounces of 1000 fill down. That’s roughly equivalent to 4.1 ounces of 850 fill down.
Thanks that’s helpful for comparison. My current puffy is a Patagonia down sweater that has ~3oz of 800 and that’s my everyday winter jacket in below freezing temps. I’d like to upgrade to a slightly warmer hoody, so I’m checking all available options. I’m not thinking the Stellar is my best choice. SG Grumman and Kuiu Superdown Pro both with about 5oz of 850+ are on the top of my list.

I picked up the Stellar Guide insulation layer that is like 1020fp. It is very lightweight, a good mid layer so far. Hood is really big. I have worn the insulation layer, by itself, under another layer, and also over another layer at different times. I am always warm... the fabric is all recycled material and it seems to shed water nicely (though I don't wear down in the rain on purpose ever.) It has two vertical pockets that zip on the outside that tuck beneath the down layer, no slash pockets or waist pockets at all, which is fine for a mid layer. I just stuff my hands in my pants pockets, or have gloves on... the vertical chest pockets are perfect for a phone or sunglasses.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Stellar doesn't do the 1000fp down at the moment, it's only every few years that enough 1000fp down is available for manufacturers to use it. The lightweight hoody from Stellar uses 850fp this year. Steve at EXO has been wearing the Stellar jacket for the past two years I believe. From people I know that have ordered from them they ship quick and exchanges are very easy if needed. They've got an Aerogel/merino layer that looks interesting, and they also offer jackets with higher fill weights and stretch construction.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
According to the link provided by the OP, the coat is 1000fp.

DAMMIT, I don't need another coat!
That link is to the old one from last year. I'm on their mailing list so I had been watching them to come back in stock after the summer, when they did the 2.0 version is different down specs.
0fb9cba4421dc5dd0aa3907dab4b9056.jpg

sneaky

"DADDY"
If you want one of those other ones you better jump on it through that link. If you go to the current page that jacket is only listed under previous products. I'd say once it's gone it's gone.

sneaky

"DADDY"
bought this within the last few months.
Looks like they didn't change the hyperlight jacket, other than a price increase. The Hyperlight has a little more down than the other hoody, just different face material. How's that 10d holding up on yours?

Last edited: