Step boxes

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
Cant remember the guidelines exactly or where I originally read this. I think it was a Mark Twight article, or excerpt from one of his books. But I think I remember reading that 17 inches was a good average of "ideal" box height for training high reps of step ups.

The reasoning is, you don't want to be reaching up with your leg so high that your lower back is rounding with a heavy load on it. If you bend your leg to where your knee is at a right angle, thats about as high as you want to go for high reps. Just a handful of steps on a 24 inch box doesn't feel bad, 500 would probably cause some joint pain or low back issues.

The other thing you can do is, calculate your steps per 1000 feet and test that once in a while. For example on a 18 inch box, 1.5 feet per step, you divide 1000 by 1.5, and get 667 steps. Time how long it takes to do that many step ups, and track your progress.

Found a similar idea here:

20x24x30 out of ¾" plywood. I cut the pieces so they fit like a puzzle piece. Then cut some oval holes to make moving it around easier. Basically, I copied the Rouge box, minus the extra piece inside. It's plenty strong without it. Finished with some epoxy paint, and it will last a long time.

Screenshot_20200613-065435_Chrome.jpg

Check out this training idea: HICT
I am not affiliated with these guys. I have been making my clients do this for a few years but he writes better than me so here we are...

I have used my cooler as well in the past, wasn't smart enough to put weight in it though, hahaha. Never flipped it though, must have gotten lucky. I have a real love hate relationship with boxes. Have smoked my shins a few times and that stays with you, that was of course on box jumps, so probably not as much worry with step ups. But because of those memories I have looked pretty closely to the high density foam boxes

A tall valve/irrigation box is very stable and inexpensive. My gym had a dozen of these. It turns out they are very durable. The key isn't to build a project it is to build your fitness.

*zap*

WKR
Research & Htm are correct. The print copy is very good to pick up and find subjects that interest me. I really need to read it cover to cover again.

Htm84

WKR
I have the book on audible. Getting ready to listen. Is there any added benefit to having the print copy? I suppose the illustrations might be helpful?
I’m like 60 pages in. Literally reading it right before I opened this thread. Haha
The graphs and illustrations seem useful. I prefer physical copies of books over audio books personally.

BenchToField

Lil-Rokslider
I’m like 60 pages in. Literally reading it right before I opened this thread. Haha
The graphs and illustrations seem useful. I prefer physical copies of books over audio books personally.
I just bought a physical copy for reference. The audiobook will be good listening while on the trails lugging around sand bags. Thanks again.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a 12-14-16” plyo box. I don’t use it as much as I should. A good test is always to put it at 12” and see how fast it takes to climb 1000 feet.