Step boxes

bgiac49

FNG
Anyone build your own step boxes. I was thinking of building a box or 2. Wondering what heights worked best. I'll be using for cardio workouts, weighted pack workouts and possibly some plyometric training. I'm shorter, 5'8"with little stumpy legs so if you are 6'+ it'll probably be a spare tabletop for me.

I've built two 20" tall step boxes using the design shown in the attached photo. I'm also 5'8" but with relatively long legs (32" inseam pants) and find this box height to be about right.

These boxes aren't fancy, but they're functional and plenty stout. Top is a 24" square piece of particle board. Legs, angle braces, and X-braces are all 2"×4". I used scraps lying around my garage, but you could build this design with two 8' lengths of 2"×4" (≈$3.00/ea in my neck of the woods), a 24" square piece of particle board/OSB/plywood, and a handful of 2-1/2" drywall screws.
IMG_20200220_183558980.jpg

Interesting topic.

I grabbed a 16/14/12 box off amazon before things got crazy. It is fine for basic steps and weighted lunges. A little low for jumping but I am on the taller side so I do most box jump work at 24” in my crossfit gym.

Going to build a 20/24/30 this weekend. Plan is to use this basic template but I am going to rig some kind of internal bracing with plywood or 2x4s. I don’t trust my fat ass to just plywood held together by screws and glue at the edges.

I just use my 48L SHITI Cooler. I put my sandbag inside if worried about flipping it when doing step ups

Ridge Runner

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting topic.

I grabbed a 16/14/12 box off amazon before things got crazy. It is fine for basic steps and weighted lunges. A little low for jumping but I am on the taller side so I do most box jump work at 24” in my crossfit gym.

Going to build a 20/24/30 this weekend. Plan is to use this basic template but I am going to rig some kind of internal bracing with plywood or 2x4s. I don’t trust my fat ass to just plywood held together by screws and glue at the edges.

Desk Jockey, my thoughts exactly don't know if I'd trust my 220 to some screws and gorilla glue!

MWBaker5

FNG
Will second the internal 2x4's on the 20x24x30 plywood box (used 3/4 plywood). Built one for my daughter to jump train for volleyball. 2x4's make it heavier but, I think you could park a truck on it.

HaydenB

Lil-Rokslider
Build a rectangle box and you could have two different heights if you decked all the sides

bozeman

WKR
Like another mentioned, I just use my Pelican cooler.....put some dumbbells inside and no worries on flipping...I only do step-ups...too old to be jumping.

I try to use a bench outside on my patio. It is 16" from grade to seat height. If the outdoor conditions aren't good I move indoor to a 12" x 14" x 16" box. It is a little small (and wobbly) when set to the 16" height but works. I'm just getting back to step-ups. The Mountain Tactical Institute fitness plans make frequent use of the exercise, but not quite the same way zap's picture shows. I do the step up, match, step down, match, repeat sequence.

Oh, get a counter. It really helps for keeping track of steps. Or, just go for time - but then you will wonder if you are getting faster/slower/fitter/not.

motts

Lil-Rokslider
We've been using sections of a large diameter tree (~30") that fell in the yard cut to various lengths and stood up.

*zap*

WKR
If I was making a step up box for use at one spot I would make it from lumber and it would have adjustable legs for height adjustment.