Stephan Lake Lodge, Alaska? Grizzly Hunt

I’m looking into a Grizzly hunt for 2023. I’ve come across Stephan Lake Lodge and am wondering if anyone has hunted there or has any reviews about it.

Or if you know of another decent and not too expensive grizzly outfitter, pls let me know that. I don’t mind hunting over bait or along salmon streams. I’m a bowhunter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drra

FNG
I just posted to a similar inquiry about Stephan Lake Lodge and here are a few comments from my recent grizzly brown bear hunting experience with them.

On day one of my hunt another guide with the same outfitter (Stephan Lake Lodge) walked through the valley we were hunting and pitched his tent with his two Pursuit Channel clients at the same time we were setting out to stalk the only grizzly we saw in the first seven days of the hunt on the side of the creek we were on (creek was not crossable). On day eight of the hunt I was taken to a creek and after sitting there for over an hour the guide came over to me and says he doesn't see any scenario we could shoot a bear at that site if one would happen to appear and on day nine of the hunt we were sitting on a different creek when we spot a Brown Bear and it eventually crosses the creak broadside to us and the guide wouldn't let me shoot since he said he couldn't tell if it was a two year old or older. I honestly don't even know if that is a legitimate reason to not let a client shoot a Bear. I will probably post more about my experience, but it wasn't positive and don't believe the 100% shot opportunity or success rate that they are posting on sites like bookyourhunt (my guess is that 25% is more accurate this past season for those that show up to camp, I heard several stories of clients leaving because they weren't seeing anything).

My guide told me that since I had hunted for ten days and didn't have an opportunity that I would be invited back at a discounted rate. I haven't heard anything from the outfitter or the master guide that had filled out the paperwork at the beginning of the hunt.

Not sure if I personally have any recourse, but the Pursuit channel hunters and the other guide ruined my chances for likely the first two or three days spreading their scent in the valley and I don't believe my guide had any intent on letting me shoot a Bear on either creek we sat on (he was concerned he would make a mistake and get a ticket from the Troopers). I see this as a professional/ethics issue with the guides and the Pursuit Channel hunters. Still trying to figure out who I should contact or what I should do if anything.

Drra
I just posted to a similar inquiry about Stephan Lake Lodge and here are a few comments from my recent grizzly brown bear hunting experience with them ......

Yeah, Stephan Lake isn't known for their ethics, nor their expertise. Those new kids on the block who are now operating that thing, have a notorious reputation up here. They'll walk all over anyone at anytime, no matter if it's a resident hunter, a nonresident hunter, or another guide. It sure ain't Oscar Vogel's old place anymore.