SteriPen - Looking for a manual pump Water Purifier

Dirtymo

FNG
Hey Everyone,

I currently have a SteriPen, used it for a couple years. With that said looking for a product not dependant on batteries and that can filter dirt etc out of the water at the same time. Looking for input on what works well for everyone on here? Appreciate any insight.

Bbell12

WKR
There are a couple of Katadyn Hiker water filters for sale in the classifieds right now, I would recommend you snatch one up. They’re great little filters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Sawyer squeeze and haven't had any issues. I know they use them at Water to Wine which helps get fresh water to people in the Dominican Republic and Columbia so if it can filter out the stuff they throw at it, it should be fine here. Like any water filter if it's below freezing keep it in an inside pocket so it doesn't freeze.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Platypus gravity works

+1 for this. I love my steripen for small quantities of water. It is a pain in the ass for volume. Gravity filters are awesome for most applications IMO except where freezing is an issue and then they have the same problems as any filter and bladder system.

I just finished 5 days in the Grand Canyon with a platypus rig for 3 people. I swapped the 4 liter clean bag for an MSR dromedary bag that holds 6 liters and added the universal adapter that can go straight to nalgene sized lids or smaller bottles. It filtered some manky water with salt and tadpoles pretty fast and with no issues.

It is great to scoop a bag of water, set the filter and then go do something else while it works. Pumps might be a little faster and better for solo trips but gravity filters are a no brainer for camp water and larger groups.